• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

P.Dreadie 2013

This a bit early for me to start a log , not much to say or show. But the weather is less than I'd like to see. I know I'm a whiner ... somewhere a pepperhead is looking at feet of snow and not just a few inches like me ... But I'm dreaming about better times .. pods pon de plants .. herbs for da pot ... tomatoes & greens for a salad.

Here's a few shot of things that have sprouted. A mixed batch of things. There should be more soon. This time I tried something a little different . I used those small 3oz bathroom solo cups to start my seeds in. The idea was to save space and soil as they germinated. Some always fail. I've always used 8 oz stryo cups but these look fine for where they are. Soon I'll up sizing they cups.

You may notice that even tho I used tiny cups to start with I didn't make them full of soil. I've always liked to be able to add a little soil more soil as they got leggy at first. Then transplant them.

So this where I'm at now ...watching seedlings grow .. waiting for spring when my plants are larger and what plants I've ordered to show up.

Peace,
P.Dreadie

Photos of mixed peppers starts ..Nothing fancy & there's still many more.

DSCF3279.jpg

Mi lovely morning ! :rolleyes:

DSCF3273.jpg

Peace .....

Same seed stock ... the plant was older in the last photo. I'm pretty sure these will look the same as far the nodes go .

Here's a shot of some plants that end up looking really pretty. A very nice variegated plant with lot of colors and the pods are purple ! More for lookin' than cookin' . Purple Flash . Wait 'til later for more pictures

DSCF3504.jpg

The Purple Flash will give nice looking plants I'd think even if you started the seeds late. They are more for looking than cooking.

Texas weather is crazy .... we will start into the hard winds , hail storms , that crap soon . Into June some years here. I've got shade cloth up to help stop the hail and the sunlight . So I'm hoping to get my plants out in May this year ..

All is well , coming along slowly , but things will hit the fan soon. Didn't bother with any pictures this time. The MoAs are about 4" tall which isn't bad , they were the last seeds I started. My plants from CCN should show up Friday. I was hoping I could transplant all my peppers into 1 gallon pots outside . Doesn't look like I'll get to . The weather has been to crazy , still getting freezing temps in the morning and the days are cold and windy enough to make it unpleasant to work much outside on some days. Then I'll get several days with nice temps , some in the 80's . So on those days I'm going for it trying to get everything done I need done.

I really didn't want to put all my 1 gal plants under lights , takes up so much space in my man cave , but it looks like I may have no choice. Life in the Flatlands of Tejas.

Peace

Erin … man cave is a small price to give up for your peppers, keep dem warm and well till the right time. I’m sure you’ll do great from the past pictures I’ve seen you’re an old pro \o/ have a great weekend mon!

Erin, love dem beds mon ... things looking good great! Hope all it good, haven't heard from you in a while. What are the none wooden beds made from?

Happy Fathers Day brethren!!!

Concrete ..... I made my first 4 beds from concrete. I used cedar on the newer ones. The wife felt I was making a super white elephant with all the concrete. It was easier to make wooden beds but they won't last as long .

GA I really like raised beds. Once you set them up the soil doesn't get compacted from stepping on it. The next year when you add stuff it's easy. You don't need a tiller , but I use a little Mantis job. Only takes 10 or 15 minutes each bed. I can easily see under the leaves without getting down to ground level. I also grow things closer because the roots have so much space. Kind of a modified Square Foot Garden style thing. 

The first year I grew peppers , after not gardening for years , a hail storm of biblical portions beat my plants badly. The next year I built junk projects to try and save them from the hail.  They failed and were a waste of time , money , and effort. That year was also the time I saw pepper plants get sunburned. Never knew they could. So the next year I put up some hoops. The PVC job was again  a cheap way to get things done. It works but I now know PVC doesn't last all that long. The metal hoops are much better. If a guy wanted he could make a greenhouse from them. I don't want to grow year round. So I'm happy .... I get more than enough peppers to keep me happy. The original shade covering the hoops can't withstand some of the hail we get here in Tajas. You can't tell from the photos but there's holes where some of golf ball or larger sized hail poked hole in it. That's the reason for ALL the extra shade cloth on the inside of the hoops. That extra shade cloth also allowed me to take the plants from inside the house and go straight outside with them. So year by year I'm learning how to fight back against the crazy weather here.  Next year I'll put my plants out earlier and figure out how to save them from the frost we get late in May at times. 

Thanks Sic !! We've been getting rain for the last three days. It'll look neater/ cleaner when it dries out some. Some stepping stones or something me thinks 

Thank for looking in ...
 Peace

Man, I like the way you do things Erin... :party:  I especially like the concrete raised beds...As far as I'm concerned, that's the ideal way for growers like you and me that have impermeable soil...and 50-something backs! And I dare a Bermuda grass runner to hop from the lawn up into one of those beds!!!

Things are looking infinitely better since you posted those snow storm pix just a little while ago...Your MOAs are going to be the ones to watch!

I dig your dog, too!

Gary

Been from a long time and I no post a thing. I've been getting fruit for a while . Thai and Jalapeño at first Nagas shortly after . I got mixed photos here. Select Scotch Bonnets . Doing well ! Ton's of pods. The MoA , TFM , and Pepper Joe's are also changing color at last . Haven't tasted any of those yet. Want to make sure they're ripe so I can save seed .  Hope get plants out earlier next year. 

Peace 

Select Bonnets. Still looking good but not as much pimples , most still have stingers

Selecta.jpg

Brain Strain 

BrainStrain.jpg

Nagas

Naga.jpg

MoA 

MoA.jpg

Rocotillo

Roco.jpg

I'll take more photos when I get a chance

Here's a shot of a few more Scotch Bonnets pods . TFM on the left & MoA on the right .  Both have lovely fruit . Nice shape ...to me they both have a great bonnet shape .Not all the pods on both hold that shape . But that seems normal on my plants . TFM tastes nice . Haven't tried the MoA yet . 

Thanks for the Moa seeds Steve .. Respect ..

Most my bonnets so far, no ripe Pepper Joe's yet . Look a lot a like ... darn close to each other 

Peace ...

TFMampMoA.jpg

Back