• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

P. Dreadie Memorial Group Grow 2016

Long-time THP veterans mourned the loss last August of Amarillo, Texas musician/songwriter/silversmith/chilehead Erin Mason, known to us here on the boards as P. Dreadie. Erin was an enigma, one of the most interesting and creative, yet gentle and loving guys I ever knew. Many of us may be unaware that he played harmonica in one of the original Austin, Texas bands of the early 1970s "Cosmic Cowboy" era, Alvin Crow and the Pleasant Valley Boys. When Erin decided to step off of Alvin's perpetually-touring bus and return to Amarillo, he travelled to Jamaica, fell in love with the Reggae beat, collected the best Scotch Bonnet fruit he could find, and his alter-ego Papa Dreadie was born.

In 2013 Erin sent me a few pods of the Scotch Bonnets he had been breeding, carefully selected descendants of the original fruit he brought back from the Caribbean all those years ago. I harvested every single seed from those pods, and stored them away, as I focused increasing attention on other varieties. When his wife Liz gave us the news last August that Erin had passed, I knew what I had to do with those seeds: a community grow in his memory. I have already shared about half of them, and I will continue to share them with experienced growers of the Scotch Bonnet until they are gone.

Papa Dreadie Scotch Bonnet Select, grown by Erin in 2013:

erin_bonnets003.jpg

erin_bonnets031.jpg

Lifetime memories posted by Liz Mason on Erin's FB page. Liz is an extremely talented professional photographer:

11902277_840930452672850_1547488734913475330_n.jpg

The legendary bus:

538_Alvins_old_bus_1.jpg
1644785432596.png

Trident chilli said:
Steve those are really healthy plants ... are they bound for a container in the greenhouse

Thank you Trident! It's a pleasure to hear this from you, it makes me proud of it. This is a pic of the rooting of one of them, I also put it in my personal glog.

27220531221_6800078eb5_c.jpg

Due to bad weather I'm still waiting to put them outdoor, now they're behind a window in the living room with some other Scotchbrain Yellow, 7 Pot Brainstrain Yellow, MA Yellow Flats, Jonah's Yellow Brain.

So, I just today noticed this thread and wish I saw it earlier. It's late this season and I have everything planned out without much give for free space. But next year, I would like to not only propagate a worthy sentiment, but also sample some worthy pods!

If anyone ends up with some extra seeds from this year's grow, and wouldn't mind sharing the results, I would love the opportunity to try growing this line/selection out and tasting a piece of what P. Dreadie spent so long acquiring and refining.

Thanks ahead of time. Obviously, no rush, I will be germinating these (if any available) starting this December or so.

mrgrowguy said:
So, I just today noticed this thread and wish I saw it earlier. It's late this season and I have everything planned out without much give for free space. But next year, I would like to not only propagate a worthy sentiment, but also sample some worthy pods!

If anyone ends up with some extra seeds from this year's grow, and wouldn't mind sharing the results, I would love the opportunity to try growing this line/selection out and tasting a piece of what P. Dreadie spent so long acquiring and refining.

Thanks ahead of time. Obviously, no rush, I will be germinating these (if any available) starting this December or so.

I'm growing one of his "standard" plants. If you want seeds from that, I could Isolate a pod for you.

I really need to post an update of mine here. It's really getting big. It looks like a volcanic cone of green lava leaves all dripping and melting off the stems and over the rim of its 7 gallon home. It already has a stem the size of my thumb and it's just starting to "stretch". It feels like the plant has just, within the last week or so, felt happy with the amount of roots it has put in its pot and is now really starting to push its foliage. Great Scotch bonnet specimen, for sure!  :dance:
     And let's hear a big round of applause for Windchicken and D3 for the first P. dreadie pods of the season!  :clap:  :cheers:  :clap:

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

I'm growing one of his "standard" plants. If you want seeds from that, I could Isolate a pod for you.

I really need to post an update of mine here. It's really getting big. It looks like a volcanic cone of green lava leaves all dripping and melting off the stems and over the rim of its 7 gallon home. It already has a stem the size of my thumb and it's just starting to "stretch". It feels like the plant has just, within the last week or so, felt happy with the amount of roots it has put in its pot and is now really starting to push its foliage. Great Scotch bonnet specimen, for sure!  :dance:

And let's hear a big round of applause for Windchicken and D3 for the first P. dreadie pods of the season!  :clap:  :cheers:  :clap:

Hey, thank you, sir.

That'd be great! 

I'll send you a PM just so I have it saved. What's funny is I have a chocolate scotch bonnet (my first experience with the Bonnet family) and I'm really interested to compare similar varieties to the ones p. dreadie mentioned in the post by @Trident Chilli early on in this thread. I'm nice and anxious. Thanks again!

edit: lol, well... I think your box is full  :drooling:  Hit me up whenever.

Back