• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

P. Dreadie Memorial Group Grow 2016

Long-time THP veterans mourned the loss last August of Amarillo, Texas musician/songwriter/silversmith/chilehead Erin Mason, known to us here on the boards as P. Dreadie. Erin was an enigma, one of the most interesting and creative, yet gentle and loving guys I ever knew. Many of us may be unaware that he played harmonica in one of the original Austin, Texas bands of the early 1970s "Cosmic Cowboy" era, Alvin Crow and the Pleasant Valley Boys. When Erin decided to step off of Alvin's perpetually-touring bus and return to Amarillo, he travelled to Jamaica, fell in love with the Reggae beat, collected the best Scotch Bonnet fruit he could find, and his alter-ego Papa Dreadie was born.

In 2013 Erin sent me a few pods of the Scotch Bonnets he had been breeding, carefully selected descendants of the original fruit he brought back from the Caribbean all those years ago. I harvested every single seed from those pods, and stored them away, as I focused increasing attention on other varieties. When his wife Liz gave us the news last August that Erin had passed, I knew what I had to do with those seeds: a community grow in his memory. I have already shared about half of them, and I will continue to share them with experienced growers of the Scotch Bonnet until they are gone.

Papa Dreadie Scotch Bonnet Select, grown by Erin in 2013:

erin_bonnets003.jpg

erin_bonnets031.jpg

Lifetime memories posted by Liz Mason on Erin's FB page. Liz is an extremely talented professional photographer:

11902277_840930452672850_1547488734913475330_n.jpg

The legendary bus:

538_Alvins_old_bus_1.jpg
1644785432596.png

My off-pheno NOT MAYBE LIKELYaPDreadies are the best ripening I got. I just don't know whether to save seed or not.

These peppers, when cut open, instantly overwhelm most of the house with an almost hardtotakeabreath hot pepper aroma. REALY strong. The heat is definitely habanero+.

21731212_347275809055044_9165810827295280287_n.jpg

The best part is that when the frost monsters come I can bring her inside to finish her mission.

stettoman said:
My off-pheno NOT MAYBE LIKELYaPDreadies are the best ripening I got. I just don't know whether to save seed or not.

These peppers, when cut open, instantly overwhelm most of the house with an almost hardtotakeabreath hot pepper aroma. REALY strong. The heat is definitely habanero+.

The best part is that when the frost monsters come I can bring her inside to finish her mission.

Hey Eric, remind me, are those from my seeds? It really looks like one of the Dreadie pods was cross-pollinated with Bonda Mahala, which were right next to the Dreadie plants last year. Your description of the heat and aroma only strengthens my idea about that....

windchicken said:

Hey Eric, remind me, are those from my seeds? It really looks like one of the Dreadie pods was cross-pollinated with Bonda Mahala, which were right next to the Dreadie plants last year. Your description of the heat and aroma only strengthens my idea about that....

Yessir, From your seeds, via Matt Malarkey. Made chokecherry jelly with a couple two weekends ago and the first one cut open just about cleared out the house!

How do the Papa Dreadies compare, being as I haven't tried one yet? (Yes, that could easily be understood as a request for seeds :drooling: )

stettoman said:
Heh Gary, I was curious about these Bonda Mahala peppers and in a search I watched a fella named Denniz eating what I assumed to be one of yours. He made some pretty unique faces...

Lol, yes, those were my peppers...At one time he was very active here on THP. That's how I know him, in fact...

My Mahala plants are loading up with green pods right now, but as soon as I have some ripe ones I'll send you a few for comparison sake....

windchicken said:

Lol, yes, those were my peppers...At one time he was very active here on THP. That's how I know him, in fact...

My Mahala plants are loading up with green pods right now, but as soon as I have some ripe ones I'll send you a few for comparison sake....

Sounds great, but don't ask me to do a video..... :stop:

windchicken said:
I have no idea about chokeberries! Hook me up bro!
Dude, chokecherry is an unforgettable flavor, a tiny wild cherry, VERY astringent (hence the name), that with the right approach creates the ambrosia of fruit spreads. I have about two acres of them growing in a grove behind the house. I compete with chipmunks, robins and cedar waxwings for them every midsummer, some years I lose and get bupkiss, this year I managed a few gallons, one of which I'm allowed to experiment with hot peppers.

Folks actually get $12-$20 a pint for the finished product. This stuff is the shit! I made 4 pints with Dreadie Mahalas a couple weeks ago, super smooth heat to it. Now I get to try the real thing! I will update.

I really enjoy reading this thread ;)

My plants threw a few pods in the spring as they got a bit of a late start for way down here. But I'm pleased to say they are again in a flowering mode ;)

One made true pods, and the other may well be a Mahalas cross by the look of the fruit. Both phenos are a superb pepper; and next year...we gonna load up on em! :P

And once again, thanks for the seed Gary!

Devv said:
I really enjoy reading this thread ;)

My plants threw a few pods in the spring as they got a bit of a late start for way down here. But I'm pleased to say they are again in a flowering mode ;)

One made true pods, and the other may well be a Mahalas cross by the look of the fruit. Both phenos are a superb pepper; and next year...we gonna load up on em! :P

And once again, thanks for the seed Gary!
Scott, you'll know the Mahala cross by the saturation of breathable air once you cut one. VERY prolific in it's pungency. It also ripens supernaturally fast.

7Tc0uN9.jpg

Sorry for the low-quality cellphone pic, and for the sorry state of the plant (things are wilting all around me; we´d had some pretty cool nights, followed up by like 4 or 5 days of 80+F weather.... all my plants are lookin´ tattered...) but there it is; I´ll be getting one good Dreadie pod, maybe a few more.  I´ve gotten a whole lot of other Bonnets his season, but only the one Dreadie plant really did anything for me, at all.  And of course, it´s about as late in the game as possible.  

Congrats on the P. Dreadies Bicycle808! Here is a crappy late evening shot of my P. Dreadie plant. The pods are ripening much more orangish this Fall, instead of the yellow that I got in the higher Summer temos. It looks like I'll have a few more pods to munch on from this plant, this season.

Attachments

• 20170926_184238.jpg
    20170926_184238.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 50
Thegreenchilemonster said:
Congrats on the P. Dreadies Bicycle808! Here is a crappy late evening shot of my P. Dreadie plant. The pods are ripening much more orangish this Fall, instead of the yellow that I got in the higher Summer temos. It looks like I'll have a few more pods to munch on from this plant, this season.
Hawt.

All of my TFM bonnets ripened up really orange, all season; the Dreadie plant is right near them, and it´s coming in almost as orange as the TFMs.  Don´t make no nevermind to me; the taste of the TFMs was 100% Bonnetacious, and i´m anticipating the same for the Dreadies.

Back