• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Paranoia with grow equipment

Depending on where you live paranoia may be justified. In many places it's not too difficult for the police to bust down your down with impunity, even if it is technically illegal for them to do so.

But in most places, ain't gonna happen.

Funny thread. Discount Hydroponics is only about 15 minutes from my house. Their selection of soils, amendments, organic ferts and insecticides is so much better than that of HD or Lowe's. I've been there a few times and have purchased items for next year's grow. I don't do canna, but there is so much there that is obviously geared towards indoor canna growing, that I can't help but be a little self-conscious when I go there. I've more than once wondered if the cops are going to break down my door, ha!

Funny thread. Discount Hydroponics is only about 15 minutes from my house. Their selection of soils, amendments, organic ferts and insecticides is so much better than that of HD or Lowe's. I've been there a few times and have purchased items for next year's grow. I don't do canna, but there is so much there that is obviously geared towards indoor canna growing, that I can't help but be a little self-conscious when I go there. I've more than once wondered if the cops are going to break down my door, ha!

lucky... I buy most of my stuff from them, but I have to ship it.. still a good deal though.

i would say that it is absurd.

X2

Plus in many, many, many states pot is decriminalized for home use and production via medical marijuana cards.

Here in CA there are grow stores everywhere. And the police simply do not GAF about it. in the majority of cities, the police have made marijuana persecution their lowest priority.

And since you're not, in fact, growing pot, you truly have zero to worry about. No cop is going to plant evidence in that circumstance. A small time personal use pot bust like that wouldn't amount to more than a legal slap on the wrist anyway - and what the hell's he gonna plant in terms of evidence? Is the cop gonna somehow have 16 full grown 3-4' pot plants in his trunk that he can casually carry into your house and say you grew them?

I think your friend is :high:

:rofl:

Alot of what we know about growing in an urban/suburban environment comes from the Wacky Tobacky growers. Just want to say thanks to them.

Amen, and that is definitely true. In fact, it's possible that some people on this very board (not me, of course... oh no, not me) first got into hydroponics and indoor growing including cloning, etc. by dabbling in the higher green arts.

I worry more about crazy cops or feds raiding me because I grow stuff then I do about growing an illegal pepper.... I mean sadly most people think that if your into growing anything it is because your growing pot.

I love it! I know exactly what you're talking about.

My parents didn't believe me for the longest time. I would get the same speel where my parents would hint off that "police can detect heat, and a gas that is given off when growing pot, but you know we're not talking about you." ... right...

Then once they came over and saw my grow operation, they understood I really do just have a crazy love for growing crazy hots. In fact, it inspired my father into getting into growing and eating super hots, which was really cool for me.

When I talk about it at work, people try to hush me like I'm talking about something that would get me fired. I just love growing peppers... HONESTLY!

I worry more about crazy cops or feds raiding me because I grow stuff then I do about growing an illegal pepper.... I mean sadly most people think that if your into growing anything it is because your growing pot.

Funny, when I talk to friends about my hydro peppers they almost always respond with "yeah, "peppers" haha." I have to show them pics on my iPod just to shut em up.

My friends and family are super paranoid about me buying and owning grow equipment. I'm briefed regularly on how the police are going to bust down my doors because only pot heads need grow equipment, lol. I always laugh at the idea because all they'd find is peppers, but some go so far as to say that the police will plant evidence just so they don't look bad.

An old high school friend of my wifes refused to believe I grow these peppers until he saw a picture, then he went into overdrive about hiding it from the government. He said you can't have these peppers in the US - "I tried, I filled out the paper work. They wouldn't let me import the seeds from Bolivia." lol .. nothing I could say after that would change his mind, lol...

Even my father frequently cautions me about these peppers. He goes on and on about his friend who ate a {habanero} pepper and his lips and fingers became covered in blisters, lol - wtf... I've been growing super hots and eating them for a few years now, I'm guessing his friend is either a Tall Tale or allergic to peppers.. lol

Does anybody else deal with paranoid people about our hobby? What are your storys?

Your friends are obviously jealous that you have such a cool set-up and your family is worried about the electricity bill + the remote chance that if you start growing peppers you might start growing other things - and incidentally one of those things that "grow" is weed. ;) My father had a similar story about a friend (of a friend) having to go to the hospital because he ate some hot peppers (sub-habanero heat, probably your standard cayenne) and of course they caused all sorts of ulcers and other nasty stuff (and no, it wasn't an allergic reaction, it was "the burn"). So I printed out some peer-reviewed articles on capsaicin and made him read them - needless to say he's since reconsidered the validity of that story.

Last year my friend grows about 30 young plants on windowsill with some artificial lights  24/7.
It took just one week until one old witch reported some "illegal activity" :)  
Two detectives first checks from her balcony with binocular and they determent that its not "that plants" but then she scared them with complaint to their superior officer so they made a visit.

They ringed on the door, politely asked his permission to check plants and one look was enough for them to recognize chili plats - obviously they have some previous experience :)

Criminalizing of drugs has not solved anything. Only created a sense of paranoia and gave organized crime money and power, putting the innocent at even greater risk than the drugs themselves do.

Criminalizing of drugs has not solved anything.
Everybody assumes that criminalization of drugs is about solving a drug problem. It's not.

It's about getting votes for the guy that wants to criminalize drugs.

Everybody assumes that criminalization of drugs is about solving a drug problem. It's not.

It's about getting votes for the guy that wants to criminalize drugs.

Getting off topic, but yeah. If we were really concerned about the harm drugs cause, drug addicts would be in the health care system, not the criminal justice system. Current drug policy is about increasing the size and power of police departments, government bureaucracies, and the prison industry.

Back