• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Parick's SBJ7

Seeds coming from all over the place--that's fantastic! I gave up trying to keep track of who I sent them to when I deleted a bunch of my PM's long ago. I'm not the best at keeping records. Just glad to hear everyone is sharing. Keep the photos coming guys. Sownseeds I'm not sure if I sent Brandon some or not.

These look really similar don't they?

9499.jpg

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/ROCOTILLO/productinfo/9499/

And these?:

9532.jpg

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/RED-MUSHROOM/productinfo/9532/

Not really Spicegeist. The top closest to the stem is wider, I don't see the bumps and the bottom of the ridge isn't as sharply cut off as the SB7J. Close though. Lemme find a pic of mine to compare.

Here's one of the originals.

DSC003401280x960.jpg

Oh how i love the look of this pepper..

IMG_9380.jpg

Not quite the shape of your original patrick , but dam close , plants are putting heaps of pods out , all with that nuke mushroom cloud shape .

Here's a picture of the last ripe pods I pulled of my plant this season, some look pretty close and others not so much. I only kept the seeds from the ones that looked the best. The color transition is pretty cool also, from green to yellow, orange and then finally bright red.

IMAG0683_.jpg

Here's a picture of the last ripe pods I pulled of my plant this season, some look pretty close and others not so much. I only kept the seeds from the ones that looked the best.
Sadly, that wont make a difference. The genetics are the same anyway. You would need to have different plants and save just the seeds from the plants that express the wanted phenotype if you wnat to keep the right forms etc.

Not really Spicegeist. The top closest to the stem is wider, I don't see the bumps and the bottom of the ridge isn't as sharply cut off as the SB7J. Close though. Lemme find a pic of mine to compare.

Here's one of the originals.

DSC003401280x960.jpg

Looks yummy. Funny how there are a couple of shapes that come out from crosses and so on as if from a shared bag of capsicum tricks.

Sadly, that wont make a difference. The genetics are the same anyway. You would need to have different plants and save just the seeds from the plants that express the wanted phenotype if you wnat to keep the right forms etc.

Those be looking pretty good Stefan! As for icebarker's comment I wasn't aware that it had to be an entire plant. I always thought if you kept the pods with the desired characteristics that after a few generations they would in fact become more uniform. Icebarker are you 100% positive about this? Being the pepper idiot I am I think I'll keep on doing what I do anyway. It's just too fun seeing what grows.

sownseeds yours are looking great!

Those be looking pretty good Stefan! As for icebarker's comment I wasn't aware that it had to be an entire plant. I always thought if you kept the pods with the desired characteristics that after a few generations they would in fact become more uniform. Icebarker are you 100% positive about this? Being the pepper idiot I am I think I'll keep on doing what I do anyway. It's just too fun seeing what grows.

sownseeds yours are looking great!

I was under the same impressing as you are, Patrick. That if you keep the seeds from the pods that showed the desired characteristics you could grow it out...

I was under the same impressing as you are, Patrick. That if you keep the seeds from the pods that showed the desired characteristics you could grow it out...
Same here, i was thinking the same thing... If you saw certain characteristics in a pod or flavor or whatever that you would save seeds from that pod and grow that pod out till ya like it...or achieved what your after

OK now we're all getting confused. I hope icebreaker comes back and gives us the facts. Personally I hope he's wrong. Have to see what kind of experience and education the guy has. I drove through the parking lot of a local community college and spent several nights at a Holiday Inn Express so I'll hold up my creds to anybodies. Or is that antibodies? Poop.

Heck I'm off to do some research. Wikipedia never lets me down.

OK now we're all getting confused. I hope icebreaker comes back and gives us the facts. Personally I hope he's wrong. Have to see what kind of experience and education the guy has.

Agree with icebarker here. The genes of the mother plant will be the same in all pods, regardless of how good they look.

Have heard of examples where a single branch of a plant had a mutation that made it different from the rest of the plant. That should be extremely rare. Could be caused by virus, radiation or something like that.

Fyi. I have no better education than patrick to prove my points !

Hey, as far as I know, the Fruit still has the same genes as the plant itself, whereas only the seeds have the new genotype. That sounds logical to me because if you cross lets say a bell pepper with a tepin( the tepin being the motherplant) you still get tepin pods, right? you don't get some kind of bigger pods but just the little baby pods that the tepin plants produces. you will see the new phenotype only after you have grown the seeds out.

Liebe Grüße

Alabama Jack refined his scorpions with seeds from the individual pods with the traits he wants. Not whole plants.

It seems to work for him Partick.....

Just going by real life experience, seeing AJs pods stabilizing and grow the traits he was looking for.

I can be wrong! But the fruit body is already there before the flower gets pollinated, isn't it?

Yes, you are correct. But, there is a small chance that by picking fruit with the characteristics you want(and barring any cross pollination) eventually you will have plants that produce the fruit type you selected as standard.

How do you know that?^^ Just a very interesting topic, I do not want to be offensive! But if the pod itself( without the seeds) carries the plants genotype, and (unless its a chimera) it has the same genes everywhere, what difference does it make which pod you choose?

Back