• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pass the Parcel - Canada/USA

POTAWIE said:
I'm not interested, but most "pass the parcel" exchanges have rules that you need at least 100 posts and other requirements to keep some of the vultures and theives away.
I'd say nearly 80% of the people I've given seeds to I've never seen or heard from again. Generousity often gets taken advantage of, so be wise with the rules.

I would say 500 post minimum AND 6 months on the forum. I know it's a bit strict and I wouldn't qualify, but I have done trades of other various items where the minimum was about the same and several parcels ended up missing because of 100 post minimum rules. It's just too easy to reply to every post and say nice plants for a couple of weeks and generate 100 post. Just my dos centavos.

I was thinking about putting a post limit but look at me I only have 37 posts. This is mainly because I just joined and came from chillisgalore because there are more north american ppl here. Plus the pass the parcel was only for UK members there so I figured I would start one here. I'm hoping POTAWIE is wrong and the parcel goes around like it supposed to (sorry about the bad luck man). I think is sad that ppl once they get what they want just leave and dont hold up there end of the bargain. I'll try this and if it doesn't work.. lesson learned.

LGHT said:
It's just too easy to reply to every post and say nice plants for a couple of weeks and generate 100 post.

I wondered about that. Don't people feel ashamed about that? Do they think that people are so stupid that they don't understand what they are doing when the only thing they post are "Welcome" or "Nice pics".

Welcome? Who the funnyfunnychittichanga are you dude?

Well the number of posts is a good idea but Im willing to bet that even I could try to generate 500 posts between now and sept. 1st if I REALLY wanted. Surely there must be some way on the forum to look at not just when they signed up but how active they have been in their posting and how much of it is "garbage" and determine if a user is trying to up their count. I would say anyone other than admins and such that post 500 in a month, there is something up. I understand having some kind of restriction but that really leaves us new people out of the loop. Considering these Parcel passes dont happen all that often thats kind of a kick in the nuts. Stupid people always have to ruin it for those of use who are trustworthy...damn them all lol

NOTE: I also came from chillisgalore. Rainbowberry can validate that to. I have traded with people from that site but yes the Parcel is only UK.

I like to trust ppl until I'm proven wrong, probably a flaw of mine. But I will look at ppl that signup and if they are just doing garbage i'll reject them to try and reduce the thieves and wolfs.

crazy8 said:
Well the number of posts is a good idea but Im willing to bet that even I could try to generate 500 posts between now and sept. 1st if I REALLY wanted. Surely there must be some way on the forum to look at not just when they signed up but how active they have been in their posting and how much of it is "garbage" and determine if a user is trying to up their count. I would say anyone other than admins and such that post 500 in a month, there is something up. I understand having some kind of restriction but that really leaves us new people out of the loop. Considering these Parcel passes dont happen all that often thats kind of a kick in the nuts. Stupid people always have to ruin it for those of use who are trustworthy...damn them all lol

NOTE: I also came from chillisgalore. Rainbowberry can validate that to. I have traded with people from that site but yes the Parcel is only UK.

That is why you trade with people directly. Someone with 1 post might be sitting on an goldmine and someone with 250 post might be a n00b who want's others to write his site about peppers for him. (You know who you are!)

And seeing that so many people here dont know anything about crosses/hybrids/isolation/pollination I don't see what you expect from a parcel with seeds from people you don't even know from a forum. If I was a member of something like this I'd trow myself over any seed from PRF for example, but from a person I don't "see" on a day-to-day basis? No...

crazy8 said:
Well the number of posts is a good idea but Im willing to bet that even I could try to generate 500 posts between now and sept.

That's why I ALSO said a 6 month minimum membership.

crazy8 said:
I understand having some kind of restriction but that really leaves us new people out of the loop.

That was the point to leave out the new people who know little or nothing about growing peppers and haven't even had a full grow season under their belt including me.

MrArboc said:
And seeing that so many people here dont know anything about crosses/hybrids/isolation/pollination I don't see what you expect from a parcel with seeds from people you don't even know from a forum.

That was my biggest fear. Getting a bunch of great seeds and putting in a bunch of good seeds back spending several months growing them only to realize that plant I was spending so much time and care on is just a bell pepper plant that got crossed by mistake. I agree I think I'm just going to either buy from trusted sources until I have seeds to trade or trade the seeds I bought from a trusted source.

That's another problem, people put too much faith in their "trusted" sources and trade seeds before they even grow any themselves. Believe me, most of these sources have some unknown crosses in their inventory. Not many people are able to isolate large numbers of varieties easily, even most seed sellers.

I was not in on the first parceel that went missing but the second one was very successful due to a LOT of work fine-tuning requirements, etc by AJ. The parcel moved along good and made it around twice. That parcel was limited to the USA so no cross border mailing problems. I personally would hate to see a parcel delayed or confiscated by mailing difficulties.

I don't think there will be any delays because its only crossing the border twice, the first time being when I send it to the states. I have order seeds from the states a few time and the most it took was a week.

You know, just because someone is new to this forum, doesn't mean that they are a pepper noob. Just something to think about.

Back