• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Patio Peppers Growing in Edison, NJ

it'll be nice just to have good peppers that look good and cook good. i'm hoping the pearls will be nice an healthy so i can make powdered pearl. pickled pearl? mmmm. hehe :)

I love having something to look forward to. I'm glad i found the plant online.

I don't know if the Black Pearls will taste any good, but its mother(or father) the Royal Black had a decent flavor from what I remember.

POTAWIE said:
I don't know if the Black Pearls will taste any good, but its mother(or father) the Royal Black had a decent flavor from what I remember.
I guess we'll find out. :lol: I just fell in love with the shocking look of it. I'd never seen one before. Besides, i really don't have any ornamental plants of any kind. It'll be a nice treat to have something unique. I read somewhere that they're in the 50k range on the scoville. It might make a nice pepper to blend with other ingredients if it has a unique flavor.

hiya fineexampl lovely selection of chilis and veg..black pearl is a great plant have to agree with potawie though the royal black is superb has the darkest foliage i have ever seen..all the best.:)

My first time ordering a live plant off of ebay and i will surely do it again if i need to. This little guy is GORGEOUS and already has a few buds. It's vibrant black and green and i'm really excited about this little guy. And i will NOT be watering it very much. Now that i know peppers dont need much water, i think the 6th time's the charm, eh?

Here's my Black Pearl once i removed it from the box.
IMG_0317.jpg

Here she is planted in my last terra cotta.
IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

Here is my first habanero baby to emerge. It has about 5-6 buddies from the ones i pollinated already butting their heads out as well. I'm excited that I'm finally fruiting! Now if i can convince the other 3 plants to bud correctly it'll be even cooler.
IMG_0320.jpg

and here's an update on the maters. They're doing very very well. I've fed them nothing but organic fertilizer, black and green tea and tea leaves, men's multi-vitamins, and pure Edison, NJ tap water. You can't see them all, but there's at least 10 or so maters on this nearly 3ft tall plant.
IMG_0321.jpg

My first habanero is growing nicely. Slowly, but nicely. It's definitely taking shape. I still dont understand why it's growing upright though.
IMG_0325.jpg

In other news, the pearl has more buds and a few blossoms that are most surely polinated. My girl calls me her little bee. Still nothing going on with the bhut jolokia. The chocolate hab has a few buds that appear stronger than the last bunch. This waiting is unbearable. At this rate i wont have fruit until September.

oh and that totally eaten parsley plant? it's grown back completely. A ton of new stems and new shoots.

gave a mass fertilization tonight. everything needed it aside from the peppers. i just gave them a little taste. they're still quite moist under the mulch. no signs of mold though, so i think i'm okay.

millworkman said:
Looking good. Keep it up, my habs are about that size and I can barely keep my hands off them.
i've heard that picking the first one stimulates growth of new pods. not sure if that's true or not. i dont think i want to test it out. :lol:

what kind of hab is that fine?...

I have some caribbeans that kinda look like that...

AlabamaJack said:
what kind of hab is that fine?...

I have some caribbeans that kinda look like that...
no clue. i bought it at Lowes and we all know they dont know a hab from a celery. The tag simply said "habanero".

fineexampl said:
no clue. i bought it at Lowes and we all know they dont know a hab from a celery. The tag simply said "habanero".

Ha Ha. That is exactly like mine, got it from Lowes.

Great job Fineexampl...I knew your hab couldn't be that far behind mine!

It does look a lot like my carribean as well.

KJAM said:
Great job Fineexampl...I knew your hab couldn't be that far behind mine!

It does look a lot like my carribean as well.
Thanks.
It's hard to see, but there's a bout 3-4 other new pods growing and i'm just waiting for some more blooms. I'm super stoked. :)

I was watering my plants this morning, but not the peppers of course. I checked out the progress of my pods. The hab that's fruiting is doing VERY well and has a minimum of 4 pods actively growing. However, i checked the black pearl and i spotted at least 2-3 confirmed pods growing. My pollenation has worked and i now have a fruiting black pearl.

I have not watered my peppers for at least a month. I fertilized them yesterday, but just a splash. I've not fed them anything but fertilizer in about a month.

Back