• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Patrick's 2011 Grow Log

Here we are again. I can't believe how fast the time goes by anymore. My pops always said the older you get the faster it passes us by.

I am especially excited about this year, I'm going to try and cross a couple of peppers, on purpose! Haven't made the final decisions yet though.

Anyway, here's a few that I overwintered. The one on the left came from a 7 Pod Barrackpore cutting. It struggled for a bit but the roots are starting to grow so I'm hopeful. Center front is a "large" 7 Pod, center rear was a very robust Dorset Naga and the one on the right is a 7 Pod Primo. The latter three I removed from 5-7 gal pots, trimmed the roots and cut them down to just the stem. They sat in my foyer where they got some limited sunlight through a window. I'm very happy with them.

IMG_6508.jpg

This is the first tray of seeds I stuck in coco coir last night. I've had success before with this medium as a seed starting mix so see no reason to change. It is nutrient poor so I start using fertilizer at an early stage in the plants life, at a very reduced rate.

IMG_6506800x600.jpg

Here is what I've started so far:

7 Pod, Brain Strain PRF…………………………..………........ 5
7 Pod, Brown Judy………………………………..………............ 6
Bhut Jolokia, Yellow…………………………………..………........ 5
Pimenta Tiger, AISPES004...................... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Butch T Judy…………….………...... 8
Trinidad Scorpion, Chocolate AISPES108…....……. 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Morouga HSC……………….……....... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow AISPES109..……....... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow 2 SS………………….………..... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow Morouga AISPES107...…3

Not all of them are in the photo.

They are on a cookie sheet which is on a heat pad. Current temp in the coco coir varies from 75F - 80F. I would like it warmer and may mess with the heating pad settings. I plan on picking up a couple of heat mats tomorrow for more trays.

I have several other varieties to get started and would like to keep my total at under 90 plants.

Here we go! :woohoo:

The good lord has sent your heat tolerance back to square one. Enjoy the humor in having cayenne release endorphins again.
Hope all is well.

That reminds me of last night, my friend made a huge bowl of guacamole, like probably at least a gallon. I was eating it and there was absolutely no detectable heat whatsoever (it was good though). And then these two girls started eating it and saying how it is really spicy. I ask my friend what he put in it and he gives me a confused look and says just 1 jalapeño. :rofl:

Funny Avon. Must have been one wicked jalapeno. ;)

Since the seeds I have were not isolated I have no idea what this Pimento Tiger AISPES is supposed to look like when it's ripe. I decided to pick one of the three pods on the plant and check it out. I figured I could tell by seed development how close it was to being ripe.

DSC003881280x960.jpg

They have been this color for the past week+. It came off of the plant fairly easily which suggests it's close to being ripe. Flesh was firm with a little bit of fluid on the inside. The seeds looked mature for the most part. I tried a small bit and found the heat to be in the Tabasco range. Flavor was bland. I don't know, maybe it isn't ripe.

DSC003961280x960.jpg

I do plan on growing it again though as I would love to see this pepper become stable.

Thank you Kevin.

Michael I'm not really sure about this one. Like I said the seeds they sent me were labeled non-isolated. I don't doubt if it came up red with the black stripes they would want the seeds. Wouldn't blame 'em at all. As far as these go though I'm doubting it.

Oh boy do I have a treat for everyone. One of my bestest pepper buddies Beaglestorm aka Michael has agreed to video tape himself eating one of the 7 Pot Jonah crosses! Is this guy the coolest or what?!
But wait it gets better! I sent him a couple of different peppers, an Orange Bhi Jolokia being one of those and the video for that is right here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivqE8gnm7JE&feature=feedu

Michael you're one macho mo fo!

The man is unstoppable!
I think the credit for this pain causing monster goes to Ballzworth. If I remember correctly Madhatter was visiting Ballzworth when they sampled this for the first time. Why I call it the MadBall Z 7 Pot.

I would like to introduce everyone to a very special pepper. According to the label on the seeds it is a Brown 7 Pot and it well could be. It is a handsome pepper. Pretty symmetrical for a superhot. I figured it would be a bit bumpier but that's OK. Here it is for your viewing pleasure:

DSC005031280x960.jpg

DSC005111280x960.jpg

Beautiful isn't it? Why is it so special? I haven't quite figured that out yet. It came from seeds I got two years ago. The lone plant I grew last year from these seeds grew one pepper and only one pepper. This year I thought I would give them another chance so I grew another one. You know what happened? Yep, it grew one pepper. If a plant dedicates it's entire life to a single pepper than it has to be special. Right?

How does something like this happen? One thing for sure is I won't be growing it anymore, I can't find the seeds. Bummer huh?

Time for some random pics.

These two shots are of one of the MadballZ 7 plants. Different buds/flowers though.

DSC00479.jpg

DSC004801280x960.jpg

In the bottom photo you can see each stem comes out of it's own spot on the node.

The top pic it's hard to tell but the two stems share a single large spot on the node. I think. Didn't have my glasses on. Either way cool stuff.

Ripening pepper on the same plant.

DSC004811280x960.jpg

The Frankenstein 7 Primo.

DSC004991280x960.jpg

I love the looks of these peppers. They have one of the greatest tails of any pepper and the pods are wicked cool.

More to come.... :)

This is an Espelette Basque pepper. This guys are reaching for the sun, tall monsters. Pods are similar to Jalapeno in shape, size and color and are supposed to be in the 4000 Scoville units neighborhood.

DSC004861280x960.jpg

This is a 7 Pot Brown--no relation to the earlier one. It has oodles of pods all over it.

DSC004841280x960.jpg

Bhut Jolokia Yellow. This one is beginning to load up. Makes me so happy.

DSC004881280x960.jpg

The two Pimenta Tiger AISPES peppers on the plant. I picked both of them this morning as one was beginning to feel a little soft. I'm happy to report there are little peppers beginning to appear.

DSC004941280x960.jpg

More to come.....

your pods are looking really evil shame about the single pod plant. if you overwintered it do you think it may pod up for you? the pod looks really cool plus your primo pods!! i am growing them next year and already have 4 small plants under lights for head start next year. i saw Beaglestorm do a few of your pods now just waiting for the Primo test to see if its any different to the last one he tried.
Great stuff! :woohoo:

This is the BJ/7 Pot Jonah cross. I was concerned it wasn't going to produce any more peppers than the original four but I'm happy to say there will be more. The number will depend upon the weather and my ability to keep it going inside at least until the pods on it ripen. Also decided to isolate a few peppers with tulle.

DSC004901280x960.jpg

You can see the ridge that grows around the middle of these pods. On this one the tail decided to turn up into the bottom of the pepper and flatten out.

DSC004921280x960.jpg

That's it for now, hope you enjoyed.

Beautiful peppers Patrick!! We still only have green ones. I found APHIDS again!!! They have taken over 2 plants so the war is on.

The peppers are looking just awesome Patrick. Nice to see Michael trying the Madballz. It was actually a plant a gave Ballzworth that i thought was choc bhut but turned out to be crossed with a 7 pot. Thanks for sharing that vid. Awesome!

Dang aphids! What are you using to battle them with? I finally got fed up with them and having to spray the "green" stuff every two to three days. Time to break out the chemicals? Good luck.

Hey madman! I agree it was great watching Mike eat those monsters. He's a braver man than I am. So you're the creator of the Madballz 7 pot? Well I need to start giving you some of the credit then buddy. My apologies.

Hey Patrick, I just got through reading your whole thread over. I gotta say, that is the way to do it. There is so much great info in this thing and watching the plants go from babies to injured to stars has taught me a ton. I will definitely be reading this thing from start to end again before the upcoming season. Thanks!

Matt

The peppers are looking just awesome Patrick. Nice to see Michael trying the Madballz. It was actually a plant a gave Ballzworth that i thought was choc bhut but turned out to be crossed with a 7 pot. Thanks for sharing that vid. Awesome!

Sorry about that Yan, I could have sworn that I read that Ballz got it from chileseed.co.uk... but I just went back and read it again. Plain as day, it says you gave him the plant. Sorry, I don’t know how I missed that! I actually researched it for like 15 minutes following from thread to thred before I did the video. Dooh! I updated the written review on Youtube to give you credit for the MadBallz 7 Plant.

The plants look really healthy Patrick. Nice pod shots. Sorry to hear about the Brown 7. 1 pod per plant must be frustrating.

Back