• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Patrick's 2013 Grow Log

First off I would like to thank Millman for the inspiration to get off my duff and get the 2013 season started.

This list is probably not complete and I haven't figured out how many of each I'm going to grow. Or I should say attempt to grow. Me and Ma Nature ain't been seeing eye to eye lately. I'll be sacrificing some chickens or toads or what ever it takes to get her off my back soon. Burn some incense and do some chants? Convert to druidism? I'm open to suggestions. Anyway off to the list!

7 Pot Barrackpore
7 Pot BS, Orange
7 Pot BS, Red
7 Pot BS, Yellow
7 Pot Bubblegum
7 Pot Primo
7 Pot Rennie
7 Pot White
Antillies Fire
Bengle Naga
Bhut Jokokia, Chocolate
Bhut Jolokia, Caramel
Bonda Ma Jacque
Carolina Reaper
C. Rhomboideum
Douglah x T.S. Butch T F3
Habanero, Purple w/stinger
Infinity
JPL#1 (Classified)
Nagabon
Orange Blob F2
SB7J, F1 + F2
Trini Scorp Butch T, Judy/Hippy
Trini Scorp Morouga Blend, Hippy
Trini Scorp, Morouga

To the wonderful peeps who have sent me seeds please forgive me if they aren't listed. Once I figure out where I put them I'll add 'em to the list.

Best of luck to all of you on your 2013 grow.

Many a hearty welcome back amigo. 

Years back I had my chemical applicator license with refresher classes every year.  Besides the emerald ash bore they hammered into our heads that you have to pay attention to wind and directions, date, time and etc. documentation due to the exact thing that you're probably experiencing.

A lot of the stuff was farm related and lawn care basically fertilizing the proper things and killing off the proper things along with not killing off bees and such.

If they upsetted you enough you might want to contact the company and maybe recoup some of your loss (time, money & such) also check on the persons certification.

Hope everything bounces back well for you.

Welcome back Patrick!

Glad to see you back! That lawn service spraying blows... can't they tell a weed from a pepper plant? Geez, still glad it was minor damage and despite the issue looks like they'll be coming back strong.

Those Bengal Naga look awesome, I just wonder what they'll taste like :D .

Glad you're doing good, and hope to see more updates on your progress. Take care!

, Walter

Welcome back Patrick.  Plants still look good.  I have a few plants with a couple leaves that look like that but are still putting out pods. 

Welcome back Patrick. My plants all have suffered the same problem. Every one of them outside. Been treating for mites but it has been going so so. Not sure if it is a herbicide problem.

Bengle nagas are looking cool man! I over wintered mine at work but haven't come to anything this year. Shame those guys screwed up your plants I hope they recover quickly

Windchicken I'm not 100% sure on the damage being caused by herbadice. I know it isn't mites and the damage looks identical to info/pics I've found on the web. Not only is the growth affected by some of the pods are growing with a very similar look. Here's an example:

This is one of the Reapers. First pic is the damaged leaves,

008_zpsf2191ef9.jpg

Here's a pod:

011_zps7927c448.jpg

Note how the seam on the pepper is scrunched together, same as the veins on the deformed leaves.

A different pod, same plant.

009_zpse05b73b5.jpg

If anyone has any other ideas I'm all ears. I've taken many leaf samples off of different plants an found nothing on them under a microscope. I did treat for mites so it's possible I killed them all. I think that's doubtful.

The five plants that were inside when the lawn service sprayed are all doing wonderful. Each plant is producing pods and growing well. They get nothing but the reverse osmosis water and I really think that makes a huge difference in growth. I think that water is a big reason why the stems and such that I try to root do so well. Full of oxygen.

This was the top of a plant that was broken off about five weeks ago I think. Powdered rooting hormone and filtered water. The brown parts at the top of the roots were caused by me allowing the water level to get too low exposing them to the air.

025_zpsdc3cf7e7.jpg

I'm certain the lawn service didn't spray the plants on purpose. I imagine it was spray carried by the wind that contaminated them.

Thanks for the comments everyone, good to be back.

Laynlow--yes that reaper took off and is now in a bucket at my son's house. He's getting pods from it right now.

Patrick, try some Cal-mag. I had a plant like that last year (deformed, pronounced vains; dry looking an funky pods too) I did some research and found some pics that looked identical and it linked it to cal deficiency. (Looks like mite damage) I have a wild growing this year that exhibited the same thing (I looked at the leaves under magnification as well; no mites) I fed IT cal/mag mixed in with my AACT and it's turned around and looks great.

Hope this helps.

Glad to see you're back, sorry about the plants.

I hope it's not from a herbicide...is there any info out there on how to speed up recovery if that's the case?

The Cal-Mag certainly can't hurt..

Thanks for the advice you two. I usually use Chili Focus for a fertilizer and it contains calcium. I've had to use it sparingly this year and some plants aren't getting as much as they should. I'll give a couple of them a dose of CalMag and see if it helps.

I see your point, especially since whatever it was affected the pods as well the leaves. Even so, I believe the plant will eventually outgrow the damage.

I hope so. I have a few pods here and there and I'm counting on the plants out back. One plant has over 40 pods on it. Wish I knew what it was--ha! Typical me.

I picked that TS Morouga Blend CPI and gave it to my neighbor. He's been wanting that for a while now and he deserves it for all of the things he's done for me. He did share the sauce he made with it. Quite yummy and I'd say a 4 on the heat scale. He used the entire pod in about a quart of sauce. I think it will warm up a little after is sits for a bit.

003_zps7c823be2.jpg

I also picked an Orange Blob and two TS Morouga Yellow AISPES pods. Not sure what I'm going to do with them yet. The scorpions are some sexy looking beasts.

010_zps9a89576a.jpg

Until next time.

Looking great man.  Just got the opportunity to try a SB7J a few days ago.  Not that hot, but definitely my favorite tasting pepper to date.

Those moruga look nasty lol. Let us know what the taste is like.

How are your plants doing?

Glad to see you're back in the game. Now that's proof that this addiction can't be cured lol.

, Walter

Thats good to hear Matt. Glad you enjoyed it. I have to wonder what "not that hot" means to you? Something tells me and you may have different meanings. ;)

Thanks Vegas_Chili. I can't see me ever not growing peppers. When I'm in the nursing home in 50 years and the staff is giving me grief about growing peppers in my room I'll claim old age confusion. "I thought they were flowers!" Should get me through a couple of years. Most of the plants are struggling with mite/herbacide issues but a few out back are doing well. Here's one of them now.

This is a TS Morouga grown from Hippy seeds.

002_zps8554b1b8.jpg

003_zpsf6c2b1a5.jpg

Here's what is probably my best looking plant. I just wish I knew what it was.

005_zps941b7f8a.jpg

It's about two feet tall and the top is full of new buds and flowers. When you take a peak underneath....

008_zpseaa0840d.jpg

I quit counting when I hit 40. I think it's an SB7J F2 that didn't keep the desired traits. Or not. Have to wait and see what it tastes like and what kind of heat it has. I am not looking forward to it.

That's some good looking plants, Patrick! Those Morouga Yellow pods look really gnarly, would be afraid of tasting those :lol:

Where does the time go? I blink and it seems I haven't been around for a month.

The plants out front that got hit by the herbicide are recovering slowly and I should get a few pods from several of the plants. Nothing to write home about but enough to satisfy mine and my neighbor's needs. The five plants out back that didn't get hit are doing well. I ended up with a Brain Strain from Judy, three Trinidad Scorpion Morougas from CPI and what I believe is an F2 of the SB7J cross. It looks nothing like the F1 sorry to say. I have an SB7J F1 out front that has a couple of good looking pods on it so I'll have seeds to try again next season.

Here's a shot of what I collected from the back plants.

025_zpsac47800e.jpg

These are the CPI Trini Scorp Morouga's and the F2 SB7J pods. The TSM's have a wonderful flavor and are absolute scorchers. Made a dip with a pint of sour cream and a package of dry ranch dressing then chopped an entire TSM into it. Despite the sour cream it was still brutal. The heat didn't last long, a few minutes, but you knew you were eating a scorpion. The pepper made the dip almost sweet.

Here's a photo of one of the TSMs. This is after I picked the ripe ones. I'm letting them get fully ripe before picking.

039_zpsf6a36ed9.jpg

This is what I believe is the F2 SB7J. Very productive plant. The peppers are around Habanaro heat wise but more like a Scotch Bonnet in flavor.

037_zpsb14087b4.jpg

This is the Brain Strain from Judy. It's close to five feet tall and loaded.

032_zpsaff897dd.jpg

Thanks for stopping by, I'll see ya soon.

Back