• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2012

I'm chomping at the bit to get started with some new chilli varieties this coming Spring. So far I've just scratched the surface with Poblanos, Jalapenos and Serranos, all of which I really like. I've been egged on by a new Second Generation Mejicano neighbor as we've talked about hot chillis over the back fence! He helped me make some Pico de Gallo with my Serranos and Early Girl tomatoes and has some great recipes from his mother and grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of them on this forum in the future. I need to grow more Cilantro. Oh yeah!

I've ordered seed from several sources which received at least a few good comments on this forum (6/12 - items crossed out did not germ, or weren't planted this year):

US Hot Stuff:
Bolivian Rainbow
Yellow Peter
Nosegay
Trinidad Scorpion (from Spankycolts)
Devil Tongue

The Hippy Seed Company: Seed Packet Mixes
NuMex Twilight (from Siliman)
Yellow Jellybeans
Tom Thumbs
Wild Texas Tepin

Refining Fire: Seed Packet Mix
Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom

New Mexico State University:
Chiltepin
Omnicolor
Red Carribean Habanero
Orange Habanero

Pepper Gal:
Aji Yellow (request from a Peruvian friend of ours!)
Thai Hot

Peppermania:
Inca Lost
Fatali
White Habanero (from Spanky)
Red Savina (cross with Fatali, from Spanky)
Bishop's Crown
Inca Red Drop
Orange Rocoto
Congo Trinidad

I doubt I will be able to try all of these out this year, but I have saved my seeds in small glass jars with tight-fitting lids for storage over the next year. I have been saving seed from other garden produce and have had good luck with germinating them after two or even three years. The jars are stored in boxes in the garage for a cool dark location for them. I have ordered several compact varieties with an eye toward trying to winter over some of my plants this year. Since I didn't even know peppers were perennial, I can say I've already learned something from this forum!

I purchased a small greenhouse from One Stop Gardens (via Harbor Freight) for $300 four years ago. This is one of the greenhouse kits I've noticed in the greenhouse advertsing bar at the bottom of some of the pages on this forum. This picture is from Spring/ Summer 2011. You can see my tomato and pepper starts on the sheves. I winter over some bonsai trees and jade plants as well as geraniums, begonias and Gerbera Daisies. In the winter, I use a small space heater (visible on ground in the picture) to keep the temp at 40F during the few cold weeks we experience here. So far it has worked pretty well. If overwintering pepper plants becomes a reality I'll be making more room in the greenhouse! I've started a thread in the Grow Tech forum to discuss issues which crop up with these units.

greenhousepan11a.jpg

January 14, 2012:

Composting:

Okay, I need to do something outside. I know, I'll dig out a compost bin. We've had a little dry cool weather, so the worms have burrowed down, and the compost is crumbly, if a tad wet.

DSCN3318sm.jpg

The first step - dig out the bin and sift the material. I use a homemade frame with a layer of 1/4 inch plastic hardware cloth backed with a layer of one inch mesh poultry netting. The fine stuff goes into the wheelbarrow, the coarse stuff into an adjacent compost bin we're still building up.

DSCN3316sm.jpg

The bin on the left is covered to keep the leafy material dry and fluffy. The dry leaves are an important layer in the compost 'cake'. The bin on the right is the one I'm digging out. Nice, dark and crumbly with lots of worms! The sifter is on the wheelbarrow, and some of the coarse stuff is already on the active compost bin in the middle. The bin in the back is resting for several of months. It has a black plastic hardware cloth cover to keep out squirrels and racoons.

DSCN3321sm.jpg

The bin is all dug out. I left about two inches of broken up compost on the bottom of the hole to create a space for the worms to move into. You can see the bin in the middle has a layer of coarse stuff spread out on the top.

DSCN3323sm.jpg

The last step is to put a nice deep layer of dry leaves on the bin we just dug out. Now that bin will rest for a at least several months or more while the earthworms move into the compost/earth interface and do their work. That will make a great base for the next cycle of composting in this bin. I put a thin layer of leaves on the middle bin, too. Now there's a nice layer cake of dirt/compost, leaves. kitchen scraps. All small yard clippings except grass go into the compost bins, even tomato vines and pepper branches and twigs. I don't even chop stuff up too much. I try to have at least 10 or 12 layers of stuff built up before I cover the bin with a layer of dirt/compost and let the worms work for several months. I'm getting about 12-18 cubic feet of compost from these bins a year. My goal is to become 'soil self-sufficient' at some point, perhaps only having to procure horticultural pumice or vermiculite and some peat moss every so often.

DSCN3322sm.jpg

The good stuff. It will go into a plastic, vented storage bin for at lest eight weeks to cure a bit. Then I mix it with a little peat moss and some vermiculite or pumice for aeration. In my large containers, I add 2 or 3 inches of compost worked into the top of the container only every year. I try not to mix up the soil layers in the big containers very much, letting the nutrients percolate down through the soil as in a natural setting. As the blog continues this summer, I'll include photos of the irrigation system and containers I use to grow my tomatoes and peppers, and a few other things.

Looking like you are well on your way Paul. As for the cloning best way I have found for the softer herbaceous type cuttings/clones of various types of plants including Chilli's is simply plain (ideally non chlorinated water) cut the stem at 45 degrees trim off excess leaves and submerge cut nodes under the water in a solid vase cup (ie with no light from sides) and leave in a warm humid spot with filtered light source ie winter sun. Keep the water fresh and within 2-3 weeks rooted cuttings. Best thing is you can check if they are rooting without disturbing them.

This cloning is a whole new thing. I'm watching with great interest! Thanks for documenting your experiments.

and your plants are looking great!

Looking like you are well on your way Paul. As for the cloning best way I have found for the softer herbaceous type cuttings/clones of various types of plants including Chilli's is simply plain (ideally non chlorinated water) cut the stem at 45 degrees trim off excess leaves and submerge cut nodes under the water in a solid vase cup (ie with no light from sides) and leave in a warm humid spot with filtered light source ie winter sun. Keep the water fresh and within 2-3 weeks rooted cuttings. Best thing is you can check if they are rooting without disturbing them.
Thanks, Trippa. Nature seems to take her own time! I have used your rooting method with begonias and jade plants, but never the woody herbaceous stuff. Sounds interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.

This cloning is a whole new thing. I'm watching with great interest! Thanks for documenting your experiments.

and your plants are looking great!
Hey, Pulpiteer, how's it going? Thanks; they seem to be greening up a little
after a shot of AK fish the other day. The Rootone makes cloning easy for the
most part. I'm thinking it should work well with the young, tender fast growing
shoots of the seedlings. Cloning with the woody growth of Summer and Fall
might be another story. But we'll give it a try when the time comes :D
Maybe Trippa's method would work then.

Here are photos of the growth at the nodes of two pepper seedlings I took
cuttings from two days ago. I left them in the pots just to see how they would turn out.
The detail isn't the greatest, but they will work for comparisons.

This one cut off at the first node, above cotyledons:
DSCN3579a.jpg

This one cut off above the third leaf node:
DSCN3573a.jpg

I guess the other half of the experiment is seeing what happens to the 'trunks'
after the cuttings are collected.

Keep us posted...I'd like to think each of those will end up with at least a couple nice branches below the cut. Should grow pretty quick too if the root system is good.

Hey, Pulpiteer, how's it going? Thanks; they seem to be greening up a little
after a shot of AK fish the other day.

AK fish? Is that fish emulsion? And how much are you diluting it again? I have some "Fish Fertilizer" from Bonide left from this summer, so I may begin with some of that soon, but I wanted to check it against what you are doing - if it's even the same thing.
Thanks Paul - I'm enjoying your glog!

Keep us posted...I'd like to think each of those will end up with at least a couple nice branches below the cut. Should grow pretty quick too if the root system is good.

I agree, if all goes well, they should become nice bushy starts.
Will be interesting to see how fast they grow.

AK fish? Is that fish emulsion? And how much are you diluting it again? I have some "Fish Fertilizer" from Bonide left from this summer, so I may begin with some of that soon, but I wanted to check it against what you are doing - if it's even the same thing.
Yours is either a 2-4-5 or a 2-4-0 the Alaska Fish is a 5-1-1...don't know why one is better than another. I do know that the wrong ferts on peppers will make them grow nice but produce slow.

Paul,
You doing foliar or watering?

Your ferts that is...I'm using the ak fish also and alternating and it seems to be doing pretty good for me.

And the same to you, Andy! You've got quite a raft of seedlings and plants going
back there! Looks great...
I'm using Alaska Fish Fertilizer 5-1-1. It calls for 3 Tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces)per gallon of water.
I mixed this batch at 1 1/2 Tablespoons(3/4 ounces) per gallon - half strength. I've only bottom watered with it once, but will continue with it every other watering or so, alternating with tap water that has been sitting at least overnight. The pots use water pretty quick with the heat and fans on the grow table.

Paul,
You doing foliar or watering?
Your ferts that is...I'm using the ak fish also and alternating and it seems to be doing pretty good for me.
Hey, Shane!
Just bottom feeding and watering so far, with a little surface watering
in the cells, especially at first. I haven't started foliar feeding yet,
don't know much about it. Will try some kelp maybe this spring and summer.
I probably will spray with some epsom salts if my little experiment goes okay.

Yours is either a 2-4-5 or a 2-4-0 the Alaska Fish is a 5-1-1...don't know why one is better than another. I do know that the wrong ferts on peppers will make them grow nice but produce slow.

The AK folks recommend using 2Tbsp/gal. fish fertilizer only, for
initial growth of flower producing vegetable plants, and after the
first couple of months, using a mix of 2Tbsp fish fert and 1Tbsp of
Mor-Bloom 0-10-10 every two weeks during growing season. I have used
this regime with good success in general gardening. The mor-bloom
promotes flower setting and fruit setting. The 5-1-1 the vegetative
growth. You can go from there in your own situation.

Transplanted peppers remaining in cells today; 24 days after sowing:
tepins, explosive embers, black pearl, choc hab, yellow aji.

Here's the root ball from one of the wild texas tepins:
DSCN3583a.jpg

And the tepins in their new homes:
DSCN3585a.jpg

Black Pearl:
DSCN3588a.jpg

I'll try to get photos of the others in a few minutes...

Excellent posts PaulG. Watching the cloning with interest. Only thing I ever cloned was some Plumerias, and I just stuck them in the medium as you did--and they sure liked the Rootone treatment. I've got some overwintered peppers might give them a try with some cuttings if you succeed.

Keep up the good work! In what's become a vast array of G-Logs, yours is on the must-see list.... :cool:

Excellent posts PaulG. Watching the cloning with interest. Only thing I ever cloned was some Plumerias, and I just stuck them in the medium as you did--and they sure liked the Rootone treatment. I've got some overwintered peppers might give them a try with some cuttings if you succeed.

Keep up the good work! In what's become a vast array of G-Logs, yours is on the must-see list.... :cool:

You are too kind, S-man! I appreciate that you took the time to drop by; thanks for you interest. The new growth that comes from overwintered plants should make good rooting material, I would think. If you can bear cutting a branch back! I'd be interested to see how you do with that when the time comes.

Here are the rest of the transplants. This is a tiny
black pearl that actually had a little rootball:
DSCN3593a.jpg

Chocolate Habaneros:
DSCN3594a.jpg

Explosive Ember:
DSCN3598a.jpg

Just for fun, the original group of clones:
DSCN3600a.jpg

Thanks for the vote of confidence, mj, but let's get this little tyke through the Spring first! I was really hoping for another seedling so I would have two to choose from, and for a little insurance. I haven't given up hope on the two other seeds - they're still in there somewhere! I hope you are right about the climate - it would be cool to grow a variety that could acclimate to the weather here. I hope I have something to share going forward that will satisfy you vicariously ;) Maybe I'll get far enough to have a few seeds to share with you for next season!

If you had a few extra seeds to share after your harvest, I probably wouldn't refuse ;) I can't wait to see the results from your cloning experiment. I have some interesting varieties this year that had poor germination rates; it would be great if I could successful take cuttings soon and have a few more plants for this season.

I was going to photograph these tomorrow, but the bud growth is
noticeable:
DSCN3601a.jpg

DSCN3606a.jpg

If you had a few extra seeds to share after your harvest, I probably wouldn't refuse ;) I can't wait to see the results from your cloning experiment. I have some interesting varieties this year that had poor germination rates; it would be great if I could successful take cuttings soon and have a few more plants for this season.
You're at the top of the list, mj :lol: !
So far the clones/cuttings are doing pretty well, nothing more than some
expected wilting, and not much of that. I'll bet you could do it with the
seedlings you would thin out; what's to lose if you have two seedlings in
a cell? Don't forget - carefully separating the root balls is also an option.
I'm interested in the growth rate of the buds on the cut off stalks, too.
Something to think about, there, for sure. It's all just an experiment :D

Very cool, the growth is definitely noticeable for such a short time frame!
Will try to post pics daily...

You're at the top of the list, mj :lol: !
So far the clones/cuttings are doing pretty well, nothing more than some
expected wilting, and not much of that. I'll bet you could do it with the
seedlings you would thin out; what's to lose if you have two seedlings in
a cell? Don't forget - carefully separating the root balls is also an option.
I'm interested in the growth rate of the buds on the cut off stalks, too.
Something to think about, there, for sure. It's all just an experiment :D

Will try to post pics daily...

Thanks Paul. I had plenty of 6 cell trays and potting soil, so I just planted one seed per cell. I'm pretty sure I'd mangle the poor seedlings if I had to separate the root balls (patience isn't something I have an excess of). I bet they'll grow back for you quick. Since they are so small and don't have many nodes, all of the nutrients from the roots should be directed towards growing back what you just cut off.

Sounds reasonable, mj. The roots should still be working, all right.

Here are today's bud growth pics - leaves starting to separate and take
shape:
DSCN3607a.jpg

DSCN3611a.jpg

Also, had a yellow aji that was getting way too tall. On the 12th, I took
a cutting from the tip, leaving two nodes - these pics are after 4 days:
DSCN3619a.jpg

First node:
DSCN3614a.jpg

Second node:
DSCN3615a.jpg

The second node was growing so fast, I was going
to have a tall plant with two stems instead of one! So,
took a cutting above the first node and am trying to
root it, and see what happens to the 'trunk':
DSCN3616a.jpg

And the second cutting:
DSCN3617a.jpg

The other cuttings are still holding their own as far as I can tell. I'm waiting
for the older, larger leaves to start to wilt and yellow; I wonder if the cuttings
would draw nutrients from those leaves as the roots begin to spread and
grow? Or maybe they are excess baggage like Stickman says. At any rate
will remove them as they shrivel up.

Looking good man! I figured that they would recover quick if the roots were good. Looks like they are! Really watching the clones, hopefully they start putting out some new growth too soon!

Back