• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2014

Grow List 2014 - Many new varieties and a few repeaters.  
This is the third year of my original three year plan to grow a slew of different
types to see what grows well here before settling on some consistent performers.  
I'd love to grow some of the new varieties from this season again, and some more
of my favorites from 2012, but not enough space.  But I have seed for my favorites for
season 2015, so I have something to look forward to already!  

Major goal for season 2014 - lay in a good supply of super hot powder!

OW Plants:
Chocolate Habanero OW, Refining Fire 2012, 3gal. x 2 2nd year 2014
Mountain Pepper OW, Honduran Market, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
Orange Manzano OW, Shane F1, 3ga. x 12nd year 2014
Goat's Weed OW, Shane F1, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
'Black Pearl' OW, THSC, 3gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
NuMex Twilight OW, CPI via Siliman, 2gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
Fatali OW, Peppermania, 4gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014 
Orange Manzano OW 7gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014

Plants germinated 8/15/2013:
Goat's Weed, Shane F1, 1gal. x2
Goat's Weed, Shane 2012, 1gal. x1
Aji Amarillo, Peruvian Market 2012, 1gal. x 2
Aji Amarillo, PepperGal 2012, 1gal. x 1
Orange Manzano, Shane F1, 1gal. x 3
Wild Texas Tepin, THSC 2012, 1gal. x 3

Starting From SeedBold font indicates mid-December sowing for long-season varieties.
Ghost (SP* F1)
Reaper (Sawyer 2013
Funky Reaper (Sawyer 2013)
7 Pot Burgundy (Sawyer 2013)
Bhut Jolokia Yellow (Sawyer 2013
NagaBrain (Windchicken F3 2013)
Jigsaw (Baker's Peppers 2013)
Primo (MGold 2012 pod)
Brain (Romy6 2012 pod)
Douglah (Alphanerdz via Trippa, Stickman)
Indian Carbon (MGold 2012 pod)
Trin. Scorp. (USHotStuff 2012)
Infinity (SP F1)
Butch T (SP F1)
'Scotch Bonnet TFM' (Trippa F1)
Giant White Habanero (RP F2)
Congo Trinidad Yellow (Sanarda F1)
Fatali x Red Savina (Justaguy via Spankycolts F2)
Mountain Pepper (Honduran Market F1)
*SP = seed harvested from plants from Spankycolts 2012

Wilds and Milds:
Cheiro Recife (Sean W via Stickman 2013)
Wild Brazil F1 (Shane 2012)
Hungarian Sweet Paprika (Stickman 2013)
Marconi Rosso (Hume F1)
Costeño åmarillo F1 (SoCalChilihead 2012)
Giant Jalapeño (SoCalChilihead 2012)

The items in bold font went into distilled water today, 12/15,
and will go into Jiffy pellets tomorrow.  The incubator has the
cell pack with the three Giant white Habanero seeds that
germinated planted in it:
_DSC0822a_zps97fa25ce.jpg

Water added after pic taken:
_DSC0824a_zpsa399a3a1.jpg

Just a quick update on the wild Texas Tepins.  This one has the most ripe pods; all will have to go to the greenhouse when and if I need space for starts in party cups:
_DSC0823a_zps7a653076.jpg

10' 8", that seems like some crazy growth for that Goat's weed but if anyone can coax a pepper to "Be All It Can Be". your one of the ones that can do it Paul. Good on ya :)

Some great looking plants this year Paul. That Chili Costa Rica is beautiful with the red pods against the black leaves. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Fatalii Bonchi too. You'll have to get a Falming Ember up and going for one of those too.

Have a great week brother!

RocketMan said:
10' 8", that seems like some crazy growth for that Goat's weed but if anyone can coax a pepper to "Be All It Can Be". your one of the ones that can do it Paul. Good on ya :)

Some great looking plants this year Paul. That Chili Costa Rica is beautiful with the red pods against the black leaves. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Fatalii Bonchi too. You'll have to get a Falming Ember up and going for one of those too.

Have a great week brother!
Thanks for the vote of confidence, brother!

As for the Fatali bonchi nothing to do now but wait.

The Chili Costa Rica is an awesome plant.  I pinched this one to
make it bush out a bit, so no telling how tall it might have gotten.  
It is a great Fall plant - still turning red in the cooler weather!

Hope your flats of starts are nice and healthy!

The NuMex Twilight, third year plant,  is ripening up another round of pods.  
They were all purple when I put the plant in the greenhouse.:
_DSC2434a_zpseb75f4ed.jpg

The c. rhomboidium has grown 2" since I transplanted it to the bigger pot:
_DSC2432a_zpsbb8614c9.jpg

Closer look at the top nodes:
_DSC2433a_zps48a5e832.jpg

The c. galapagoense is giving it a good shot.  There are some more pods coloring up:
_DSC2437a_zps6fd9c9bd.jpg

There have been two ladybird beetles working over the plant for the past couple of days:
_DSC2438a_zps39c897e1.jpg

Devv said:
Glad to see thing still clicking along out your way Paul!

Just beautiful, healthy looking plants!
It's nip and tuck now, my friend.  Have a few plants/branches hanging up to ripen,
and a few more under cover.  Temps don't vary much right now, maybe a 10 degree
swing around 55˚.

Grinding pods at the present, just a few quarts a day to keep from getting blown out.

Just as a matter of record, the nighttime lows are turning about 5-7 degrees cooler this week.  
Now lows in mid 40's rather than low 50's.  2.2" of rain yesterday.

The c. chacoense var. Exile is coloring up slowly.  Don't know if the pods are going to go all the way red or not:
_DSC2440a_zps9654fc93.jpg

A couple of blurry pics of the garage ripening pods.

7 Pot Barrakapore:
_DSC2441a_zps697811ad.jpg

Bird's Eye HTM:
_DSC2442a_zps483dd892.jpg

Aajis and Manzanos still ripening up on the vine.  Got a little pull yesterday.  
The loose pods are from garage ripened branches; Choco Bhuts, White Habs,
and some Barrakapores.  
Sorry about the cluttered pic - there's a lot going on in a small space in my garage:
_DSC2443a_zpsb2ee1199.jpg

Okay, going down the rooting path at Pic1's suggestion.  We'll see what happens.  
The cuttings have been in the perlite/vermiculite mix for three days, and no wilting yet.
I put the plants out in the greenhouse yesterday:
_DSC2444a_zps9db74fee.jpg

Oh, yeah, they are 7 Pot Barrakapores.

Devv said:
Those cuttings look great Paul, are you using a root hormone?

Dot Com said:
they do look good.
Thanks, fellas.  I used a good coating of Rootone powder on the stems.

I followed Pic1's advice using premoistened 50/50 perlite and vermiculite.
I put 8-10 ounces of water in each sleeve and let the mix soak it up, then
dibbled a little hole for the powdered stem.  A added a little water today.
Will check them again in the a.m.

If they make it a few more days or a week, they may have a shot.

Good luck with the cloning efforts Paul.. I may have to try that next winter instead of keeping whole plants. It would mean more varieties saved in less space since the only place we have with enough natural light is in front of a south-facing sliding glass door.

I'll be watching to see how they do. I've had great luck cloning when 2 or 3 grow in one spot, AKA "babies", but none so far with mature plants. Although I haven't yet used a hormone. But I will next time!

stickman said:
Good luck with the cloning efforts Paul.. I may have to try that next winter instead of keeping whole plants. It would mean more varieties saved in less space since the only place we have with enough natural light is in front of a south-facing sliding glass door.

Devv said:
I'll be watching to see how they do. I've had great luck cloning when 2 or 3 grow in one spot, AKA "babies", but none so far with mature plants. Although I haven't yet used a hormone. But I will next time!
Thanks, boys.  I've never tried rooting a cutting at this stage of growth before.  
Almost all my cloning has been done with tender Spring growth.  
They still seem alive this evening!

The Texas Tepin is really cranking along despite the cool, rainy weather.  Seems to like it under the canopy:
_DSC2445a_zpsd8426cac.jpg

_DSC2446a_zps01cbf103.jpg

I don't know what Jacen did to this plant to get it started!  
It is trying to be a Goat's Weed cross #2   :shocked:   It has grown 3" since October 20th:
_DSC2447a_zps6a7de6a6.jpg

Edit:  Forgot to mention it is a c. rhomboidium.

The lower branches are growing excruciatingly slowly.  The 'Black Pearl' is ripening up some more pods:
_DSC2448a_zps2dc380ab.jpg

Essegi said:
All is looking great!
That will be very interesting to follow!
Thanks, SG!  I hope so...

Devv said:
Beautiful Tepin Paul!

It's the best one I've had in three seasons.  
Started 14 months ago and OW in the greenhouse.  
It was one of those parasol-looking plants, and died
almost all the way back to the main stem before a
resurgence in the Spring.

Since it is a Texas plant, I assume it can handle some cold
temps.  I mean, it does get cold down there, right?   ;)
It probably wouldn't like being soggy, but I'm hoping it will
continue under the canopy for at least a few more weeks.

Hi Paul,

The coldest day we've had here (in the 25 years I've been here) was Christmas Eve. 1989, it hit a high of 15°. A typical winter here has a few freezes where it gets to the 20's; last winter we had a few times when it was 21-22° in town. Being the cold fronts usually last 3-4 days and we're 200' above Devine we don't see the cold like they get in town. Many times it's 33-34° here when it's 22-23° in town. Now two cold fronts back to back can make it get just as cold here.

My son just built a home on 1 acre, and we visited a few weeks ago. My oldest G-kid took me in the woods and showed me the Chile Pequin's they have. It's a 10' to 15' circle of plants growing wild, and it gets a few degrees colder where he's at. So I would say you'll be fine ;)

That sounds totally awesome, Scott.

I guess as long as it doesn't get too wet, it should be okay.
Our lowest temps have been in the upper teens and 20's for
a period of days to a week or two.  The latter are killers.  
Lose stuff in the yard when that happens.

My Tepin plants loved the heat . It would shut down all winter and bounce back from spring until late fall. It just passed away a few weeks okay after 4 years of giving tasty treats :tear: . But I started another one so all is well .  :fireball:

Keep your awesome glog going Paul. It is a great place to visit . 

romy6 said:
My Tepin plants loved the heat . It would shut down all winter and bounce back from spring until late fall. It just passed away a few weeks okay after 4 years of giving tasty treats :tear: . But I started another one so all is well .  :fireball:

Keep your awesome glog going Paul. It is a great place to visit . 
The pleasure is all mine, buddy - thanks for dropping in for a look.

I'm going to try to keep the Tepin growing over the winter.  
Don't know exactly how, yet.

Hey Paul..I'm glad to see you've given the cloning process a shot. The amount of leaves you trimmed is fine. I've done both in the past, trimmed all the large leaves off and left fruit  and small new growth intact..and have also trimmed all but the top most leaves.
Both procedures work... you may get some leaf droppage so don't be discouraged. The main concern is to keep the cuttings in a humid environment. Until the roots form you'll need to hydrate the cutting with a misting bottle. A micro amount of epsom salts or foliar feed can be added to the water. You could probably fit all three solo cups in a 5 gal bucket with saran wrap over the top to trap moisture.

That would be nice getting a steady supply of Tepins throughout the winter. Will you use window light or the flouros ?

Back