• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2014

Grow List 2014 - Many new varieties and a few repeaters.  
This is the third year of my original three year plan to grow a slew of different
types to see what grows well here before settling on some consistent performers.  
I'd love to grow some of the new varieties from this season again, and some more
of my favorites from 2012, but not enough space.  But I have seed for my favorites for
season 2015, so I have something to look forward to already!  

Major goal for season 2014 - lay in a good supply of super hot powder!

OW Plants:
Chocolate Habanero OW, Refining Fire 2012, 3gal. x 2 2nd year 2014
Mountain Pepper OW, Honduran Market, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
Orange Manzano OW, Shane F1, 3ga. x 12nd year 2014
Goat's Weed OW, Shane F1, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
'Black Pearl' OW, THSC, 3gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
NuMex Twilight OW, CPI via Siliman, 2gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
Fatali OW, Peppermania, 4gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014 
Orange Manzano OW 7gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014

Plants germinated 8/15/2013:
Goat's Weed, Shane F1, 1gal. x2
Goat's Weed, Shane 2012, 1gal. x1
Aji Amarillo, Peruvian Market 2012, 1gal. x 2
Aji Amarillo, PepperGal 2012, 1gal. x 1
Orange Manzano, Shane F1, 1gal. x 3
Wild Texas Tepin, THSC 2012, 1gal. x 3

Starting From SeedBold font indicates mid-December sowing for long-season varieties.
Ghost (SP* F1)
Reaper (Sawyer 2013
Funky Reaper (Sawyer 2013)
7 Pot Burgundy (Sawyer 2013)
Bhut Jolokia Yellow (Sawyer 2013
NagaBrain (Windchicken F3 2013)
Jigsaw (Baker's Peppers 2013)
Primo (MGold 2012 pod)
Brain (Romy6 2012 pod)
Douglah (Alphanerdz via Trippa, Stickman)
Indian Carbon (MGold 2012 pod)
Trin. Scorp. (USHotStuff 2012)
Infinity (SP F1)
Butch T (SP F1)
'Scotch Bonnet TFM' (Trippa F1)
Giant White Habanero (RP F2)
Congo Trinidad Yellow (Sanarda F1)
Fatali x Red Savina (Justaguy via Spankycolts F2)
Mountain Pepper (Honduran Market F1)
*SP = seed harvested from plants from Spankycolts 2012

Wilds and Milds:
Cheiro Recife (Sean W via Stickman 2013)
Wild Brazil F1 (Shane 2012)
Hungarian Sweet Paprika (Stickman 2013)
Marconi Rosso (Hume F1)
Costeño åmarillo F1 (SoCalChilihead 2012)
Giant Jalapeño (SoCalChilihead 2012)

The items in bold font went into distilled water today, 12/15,
and will go into Jiffy pellets tomorrow.  The incubator has the
cell pack with the three Giant white Habanero seeds that
germinated planted in it:
_DSC0822a_zps97fa25ce.jpg

Water added after pic taken:
_DSC0824a_zpsa399a3a1.jpg

Just a quick update on the wild Texas Tepins.  This one has the most ripe pods; all will have to go to the greenhouse when and if I need space for starts in party cups:
_DSC0823a_zps7a653076.jpg

Dang Paul, that Tepin is covered in pods! Great little plant and loving it there too. I'm liking that Black Pearl and the Twilight too, I had started a couple back in the original grow but they didn't make it :(

Here's to a better, more normal winter this year!

PIC 1 said:
Hey Paul..I'm glad to see you've given the cloning process a shot. The amount of leaves you trimmed is fine. I've done both in the past, trimmed all the large leaves off and left fruit  and small new growth intact..and have also trimmed all but the top most leaves.
Both procedures work... you may get some leaf droppage so don't be discouraged. The main concern is to keep the cuttings in a humid environment. Until the roots form you'll need to hydrate the cutting with a misting bottle. A micro amount of epsom salts or foliar feed can be added to the water. You could probably fit all three solo cups in a 5 gal bucket with saran wrap over the top to trap moisture.

That would be nice getting a steady supply of Tepins throughout the winter. Will you use window light or the flouros ?
Thanks, my friend!  Not too worried about the leaf drop if it happens.  
I'm surprised the flowers haven't dropped off yet.  Our ambient humidity
is around 90-100 percent these days, so I think that won't be too much
of an issue in the greenhouse.  I try to keep the low temps around 50˚ so
progress may be slow, but the cuttings should be okay.  Once they really
get some roots, I'll probably bring them inside for the winter, but haven't
decided what to do then for sure, yet.  They would avoid pest issues inside.

The Tepin will stay outside as long as possible under a canopy.  When the
weather gets freezing, I'll bring it in.  We'll just have to see how it does.  It's
too big for the greenhouse at the moment cuz I have it full of bags of soil
and stuff!

RocketMan said:
Dang Paul, that Tepin is covered in pods! Great little plant and loving it there too. I'm liking that Black Pearl and the Twilight too, I had started a couple back in the original grow but they didn't make it :(

Here's to a better, more normal winter this year!
Dude!  You're the page topper twice in a row.  Shane would be proud!

I'm lovin' that little guy; must be several hundred pods on it, and more
getting red each day.  It's hard to be patient and let them keep turning!  

Sorry to hear your ornamentals didn't make it.  Give a shout out if you
want more seeds for them.  Maybe you'd like some Chili Costa Rica
seeds?  it's the most awesome ornamental I've seen except for the
Bolivian Rainbow.

Would be nice to think we'd have a more normal winter this year.  Those
multiple weeks of below 30˚ 24/7 sort of put the kibosh on the yard!

Oh man, that would be great. I only had a few seeds for each and was hoping to collect seed as pods ripened but... Thanks for the offer, I'll PM you my add and yes, I love some Chili Costa Rica seed too.

RocketMan said:
Oh man, that would be great. I only had a few seeds for each and was hoping to collect seed as pods ripened but... Thanks for the offer, I'll PM you my add and yes, I love some Chili Costa Rica seed too.
Roger that, my friend!

I was searching seed drying on line and found this page:

http://www.nt.gov.au/d/Content/File/p/Crop/785.pdf

Pretty interesting if a bit much for a hobby grower, but the bottom line drying seeds
between 90F and 105F is their recommendation based on moisture content of seeds.

I dried my pods at 105˚ this season, so I'm hoping the seeds are all viable.   I napkin
dried a few varieties, but most are air-dried in the dehydrator.

Interesting read Paul. But I feel it's geared more for production seed saving.

I just cut out the placenta's and place them on a Styrofoam plate while keeping them from touching one another. The house is at 78° all summer and it's rather arid here, plus the ceiling fan is on 99% of the time. I see no mold (ever) nor discoloration. I let them sit for around 60 days or so before separating them from the placenta. They then go in the plastic bags. The moisture content has to be correct, or I would see a color change in my little baggies...none so far. ;)

Devv said:
Interesting read Paul. But I feel it's geared more for production seed saving.  It is, for sure, but the general ideas are applicable, I think.

I just cut out the placenta's and place them on a Styrofoam plate while keeping them from touching one another. The house is at 78° all summer and it's rather arid here, plus the ceiling fan is on 99% of the time. I see no mold (ever) nor discoloration. I let them sit for around 60 days or so before separating them from the placenta. They then go in the plastic bags. The moisture content has to be correct, or I would see a color change in my little baggies...none so far. ;)
Right on, brother.  Nice to have that low humidity and warm temps
to count on.  I just don't have enough flat surfaces to spread out a
bunch of seeds on plates so thought I'd try the 105˚ drying routine this year.
If it works, it will be way easier to manage.

Just a quick pic of a few more peruvian seed Aji Amarillo picked yesterday.
Still a good dozen or two that are ripening up, even with the cooler, wet weather:
_DSC2449a_zps39d2ada9.jpg

One positive; the night temps are back into the low 50's, which has kept them ripening in good fashion.

Nice pics, The peruvian Amarillos looks amazingly tasty. Tepins are exploding with peppers, great pictures paul. The season is definitely winding down for you - at those temps the peppers are going to be moving at a crawl compared to what they were.

Your clones are looking good, especially for coming from a flowering plant. Sometimes it can be difficult to get the plant to revert to a growing phase from my experience. I've always had the best results with tender spring growth, like you stated.

slade122 said:
Nice pics, The peruvian Amarillos looks amazingly tasty. Tepins are exploding with peppers, great pictures paul. The season is definitely winding down for you - at those temps the peppers are going to be moving at a crawl compared to what they were.

Your clones are looking good, especially for coming from a flowering plant. Sometimes it can be difficult to get the plant to revert to a growing phase from my experience. I've always had the best results with tender spring growth, like you stated.
Thanks, Slade!

The Ajis are an outstanding pepper, taste is great and the heat is not face melting.
I just froze a whole bunch of split and seeded pods for our peruvian friend.  The rest
will be dried for awesome powder.

We'll see how the clones work out. If Pic1 says it'll work, I have to believe him! 
I am amazed they are still standing and not dropping everything.

Devv said:
Those Aji peppers are really pretty Paul ;)

Essegi said:
That color is really beautiful!
Hey, Scott and SG!  Thanks fellas.

The Ajis look almost fluorescent orange on the plant,
and dried, they maintain the bright orange color. 

Congrats on the Tepins.  

This is my first year growing them, and while the plants has lots of pods, all of them re still green.  Not a single one has colored up at all.  I might see if I can move it into the greenhouse and see if I can get at least another 30-45 days more growing out of it that way.  Was hoping to get at least a few ripe ones so I could call it a victory!

bpwilly said:
Congrats on the Tepins.  Thanks to a nice grow season!

This is my first year growing them, and while the plants has lots of pods, all of them re still green.  Not a single one has colored up at all.  I might see if I can move it into the greenhouse and see if I can get at least another 30-45 days more growing out of it that way.  Was hoping to get at least a few ripe ones so I could call it a victory!
Yes!  For sure put it in the greenhouse.  
If you can keep it warm - 40's - it will keep ripening slowly.
You could even take it inside and put it in front of a sunny window!

If you don't get any pods, I can save some dried ones for ya for seeds.
I'm drying the last batch at 100˚.

Every pod…, brother!

Devv said:
Tepins look great Paul!  Thanks, bro!

I have some seeds to try for next season ;)

They should really grow for you down there, Scott.

Be cool if you could get them naturalized somewhere   :think:

HillBilly Jeff said:
I liked them the two seasons I grew them.  Might stick a plant in next season even though I am cutting back.

Can't go wrong.  Decent sized pods for a wild and easy to pick!

And they make one of my favorite powders!

One plant can't hurt   :D

Roguejim said:
Any preference between Tepins, and Pequins?  If so, why?
Hey, Jim.  No real reason.  I tried to grow out a chiltepin - more like a pequin - my first
season without much luck getting any pods, but the tepins seemed to do better here.  

Not sure if I'll grow one out next year or not if I get a decent amount of powder from this one.

Back