• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2014

Grow List 2014 - Many new varieties and a few repeaters.  
This is the third year of my original three year plan to grow a slew of different
types to see what grows well here before settling on some consistent performers.  
I'd love to grow some of the new varieties from this season again, and some more
of my favorites from 2012, but not enough space.  But I have seed for my favorites for
season 2015, so I have something to look forward to already!  

Major goal for season 2014 - lay in a good supply of super hot powder!

OW Plants:
Chocolate Habanero OW, Refining Fire 2012, 3gal. x 2 2nd year 2014
Mountain Pepper OW, Honduran Market, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
Orange Manzano OW, Shane F1, 3ga. x 12nd year 2014
Goat's Weed OW, Shane F1, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
'Black Pearl' OW, THSC, 3gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
NuMex Twilight OW, CPI via Siliman, 2gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
Fatali OW, Peppermania, 4gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014 
Orange Manzano OW 7gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014

Plants germinated 8/15/2013:
Goat's Weed, Shane F1, 1gal. x2
Goat's Weed, Shane 2012, 1gal. x1
Aji Amarillo, Peruvian Market 2012, 1gal. x 2
Aji Amarillo, PepperGal 2012, 1gal. x 1
Orange Manzano, Shane F1, 1gal. x 3
Wild Texas Tepin, THSC 2012, 1gal. x 3

Starting From SeedBold font indicates mid-December sowing for long-season varieties.
Ghost (SP* F1)
Reaper (Sawyer 2013
Funky Reaper (Sawyer 2013)
7 Pot Burgundy (Sawyer 2013)
Bhut Jolokia Yellow (Sawyer 2013
NagaBrain (Windchicken F3 2013)
Jigsaw (Baker's Peppers 2013)
Primo (MGold 2012 pod)
Brain (Romy6 2012 pod)
Douglah (Alphanerdz via Trippa, Stickman)
Indian Carbon (MGold 2012 pod)
Trin. Scorp. (USHotStuff 2012)
Infinity (SP F1)
Butch T (SP F1)
'Scotch Bonnet TFM' (Trippa F1)
Giant White Habanero (RP F2)
Congo Trinidad Yellow (Sanarda F1)
Fatali x Red Savina (Justaguy via Spankycolts F2)
Mountain Pepper (Honduran Market F1)
*SP = seed harvested from plants from Spankycolts 2012

Wilds and Milds:
Cheiro Recife (Sean W via Stickman 2013)
Wild Brazil F1 (Shane 2012)
Hungarian Sweet Paprika (Stickman 2013)
Marconi Rosso (Hume F1)
Costeño åmarillo F1 (SoCalChilihead 2012)
Giant Jalapeño (SoCalChilihead 2012)

The items in bold font went into distilled water today, 12/15,
and will go into Jiffy pellets tomorrow.  The incubator has the
cell pack with the three Giant white Habanero seeds that
germinated planted in it:
_DSC0822a_zps97fa25ce.jpg

Water added after pic taken:
_DSC0824a_zpsa399a3a1.jpg

Just a quick update on the wild Texas Tepins.  This one has the most ripe pods; all will have to go to the greenhouse when and if I need space for starts in party cups:
_DSC0823a_zps7a653076.jpg

PaulG said:
Got it.  Thanks, Penny

@Rick.  I thought fuel prices were dropping?  Sorry to hear you and your
neighbors are getting jacked around on that deal, buddy.

Started some Aji seeds on 11/15.  Got these on 11/20.  These seeds were paper towel dried:
_DSC2486a_zps626d674d.jpg

_DSC2485a_zps6e14a193.jpg

_DSC2487a_zps88fc42d1.jpg

There are a couple more hooks peeking up this evening.  Should be cotys tomorrow.  I guess that means the start of the 2015 season!
PaulG, talk to me.  Why so early?  I know the amarillos require a long growing season.  Is that why?  Do manzanos take long to produce pods?  This will be my first season with manzanos, so do I need to start the seeds germinating now??

The ajis and manzanos are the last to ripen up in the Fall, even when I start them at this time of year.  
If I start the ajis in Jan, they don't really start ripening until into October due to their 10-month grow season.
They like the cooler weather, and the hot summers always slow them down.  This is my third  season
with both, and this year's ahi crop was the first I thought was really worthwhile, and I lost 40-60 pods
to wind damage.  Theat's what we get for trying to grow varieties outside their natural niche!

PaulG said:
The ajis and manzanos are the last to ripen up in the Fall, even when I start them at this time of year.  
They like the cooler weather, and the hot summers always slow them down.  This is my fourth season
with both, and this year's ahi crop was the first I thought was really worthwhile, and I lost 40-60 pods
to wind damage.  Theat's what we get for trying to grow varieties outside their natural niche!
I see. Do manzanos require much shade? How many hours of direct sunlight?

Devv said:
Happy Turkey day Paul!

Enjoy good food and family.
Thanks, my friend.  Same to  you.

Gobble,  gobble   :drooling:
Roguejim said:
I see. Do manzanos require much shade? How many hours of direct sunlight?
I grow the manzanos in dappled shade with decent sun during some periods of the day.
No direct sun during the hot part of the day, but morning and evening sun lis okay, at least in our yard.

Jim, Paul

Just a side observation from this year,  This was my first year to grow a few Manzanoes and Rocotos, and they seemed to do OK up here where they were in the sun most of the day, but since it does not get too hot, that might have helped.  One thing I did notice is that with the exception of a couple of plants, they really take a long time to get up to the fruiting stage.  Once the weather started to get cooler around here this fall, the ones that had very few pods, all of a sudden got a bunch and the pods grew very fast compared to the ones that got pods in the summer.  But they did not get ripe before the weather got to cold.  I ended up with 1/2 - 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket of very green unripe peppers.  Not fun to see something that close but no cigar!

The plus side is that the ones that did get ripe were really worth it!  We just need a 18 month year!

bpwilly said:
Jim, Paul

Just a side observation from this year,  This was my first year to grow a few Manzanoes and Rocotos, and they seemed to do OK up here where they were in the sun most of the day, but since it does not get too hot, that might have helped.  One thing I did notice is that with the exception of a couple of plants, they really take a long time to get up to the fruiting stage.  Once the weather started to get cooler around here this fall, the ones that had very few pods, all of a sudden got a bunch and the pods grew very fast compared to the ones that got pods in the summer.  But they did not get ripe before the weather got to cold.  I ended up with 1/2 - 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket of very green unripe peppers.  Not fun to see something that close but no cigar!

The plus side is that the ones that did get ripe were really worth it!  We just need a 18 month year!

Hmm, maybe not worth it here in southern Oregon.  I'll be watching PaulG's experiment with the early germination.  Or, have you tried this early of a germination before, Paul?

I started the ajis and manzanos last season in August, so they were over a year old
when they started ripening up pods.  However, that start was way too early.  Before,
I had started in Jan. and that seemed a bit late.  So this year the Nov. 15th start date
was a compromise.

The Aji Amarillo and Manzano are not the easiest peppers to grow and nurture; I guess
we just have to accept what we can get in the PNW!  Every pod a victory!

I agree Paul. 
Each pod is definitely a victory.  It feels like a good accomplishment to grow these peppers in a climate that they are not native to and is so different.  I did not mean to make it sound like it is not a good plan,  Heck, I was very pleased to get the ripe ones I did, just that I also ended up loosing more than I got to ripen.  That just means I need to try a few things different this year.

They are a very different pepper than what I am use to with the black seeds, the thick juicy flesh and heat as a bonus!

Last year I started them all in January and I am not sure if that is was late or not.   Just more variables to add into the plan!  I will be watching Paul as well.  Only direction to go is up!

"Only direction to go is up!"

That's right, Bill!

Speaking of up, the c. rhomboidium that Jacen gave me has actually accelerated in growth.  
I had to put it on the floor cuz it was hitting the roof on the shelf.  It's over 4' now:
_DSC2492a_zpsb914048c.jpg

Tape don't lie   :D  The pubescence is very noticeable in this pic:
_DSC2497a_zpsdfee01f3.jpg

Here are some of the other greenhouse denizens.

The 7 Pot Barrakapore cuttings are looking kinda peaked.  I cut off all the dried up flower
buds after this pic.  But the last pod of the 2014 season is ripe!  There's one for ya Pic1!
_DSC2491a_zps3310c6f0.jpg

The little bhut has some nice looking growth developing:
_DSC2495a_zps6488e792.jpg

Texas Pequin:
_DSC2496a_zpsfd295304.jpg

When I was cutting the c. chacoense off, I discovered this volunteer plant coming
up under the foliage.  Looks certain to be another healthy little chaco.  Since it
forked, I've been cutting off the little flower buds as they get big enough:
_DSC2494a_zpsfce5ff18.jpg

Now it's time to hold my breath to see if they all survive the winter!  In the meantime, in the grow shelf...

Manzano seedlings:
_DSC2499a_zps081e2c30.jpg

Aji Amarillo seedlings:
_DSC2500a_zps0298b3dd.jpg

I hope to arrive at Spring Plant Out with 3 healthy specimens of each.  
Some of these look pretty good.  A few (half-dozen or so) puny weak
ones have fallen by the wayside.

Beautiful Paul that rhomb is excellent mine is getting tall fast but has a lot of branching happening yours seems to not be showing any branching. is it weak like is it going to snap?

Nightshade said:
Beautiful Paul that rhomb is excellent mine is getting tall fast but has a lot of branching happening yours seems to not be showing any branching. is it weak like is it going to snap?
No branching at all, just little growth buds with small leaves at each leaf node.

I have supported the plant to keep it from just falling over, or getting broken when
I'm trying to move it.  It seems very healthy.

Are you planning on putting that rhomb in the ground at plant out or keeping it in the pot? If you get it in the ground it's going to be a monster! I made a really great sauce out of Aji Amarillo and Rocottos, so I can only imagine that the Aji Amarillo / Manzanno would be just as good. Hope you get the number of plants you want from them.

Cheers,
Bill

PaulS said:
Seedlings already! I'm getting itchy trigger finger. I said I'd wait until jan but I'm not sure I can....
These are the only ones I'm starting now, Paul.  They have such a long grow season
I have to give them plenty of time to get going.  I'll start a couple of rounds of chinense
during January, and the annuums later.

Good luck controlling that itchy trigger finger!

RocketMan said:
Are you planning on putting that rhomb in the ground at plant out or keeping it in the pot? If you get it in the ground it's going to be a monster! I made a really great sauce out of Aji Amarillo and Rocottos, so I can only imagine that the Aji Amarillo / Manzanno would be just as good. Hope you get the number of plants you want from them.

Cheers,
Bill
Hey, Bill.  I'll probably plant it in a container, at least 7 gallon, probably larger.  

I'm going to mix a little manzano and ahi powder for fun.  the aji/manzano sauce
must have been killer! 

Devv said:
Looking good Paul!

3 weeks and I pull the trigger ;)

That Rhom has a crazy growth habit!
Thanks, buddy.  I'll be pullin' for ya in three weeks!    :party:

I think 'Rhombo' somehow acquired the Goat's Weed Cross gene   :lol:   
I don't know if I can handle another 10' plant   :rofl:

Evening Paul, received your care package today. Definitely going to give the powders a try... Loved the last batch of powders you sent me the last time, I know these will just be as good. Thank you very much for the extras you included as well...

Wow,  I got a nice care package from Paul as well today.  Nice looking selection of powders.  Going to try these out soon.

Here is a picture of the surprise I received.
IMAG1196_zps093b1548.jpg

Looking forward to try someone else's powders. 
Thanks so much for the extreme kindness.  This will spice up the holidays.

Back