• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2014

Grow List 2014 - Many new varieties and a few repeaters.  
This is the third year of my original three year plan to grow a slew of different
types to see what grows well here before settling on some consistent performers.  
I'd love to grow some of the new varieties from this season again, and some more
of my favorites from 2012, but not enough space.  But I have seed for my favorites for
season 2015, so I have something to look forward to already!  

Major goal for season 2014 - lay in a good supply of super hot powder!

OW Plants:
Chocolate Habanero OW, Refining Fire 2012, 3gal. x 2 2nd year 2014
Mountain Pepper OW, Honduran Market, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
Orange Manzano OW, Shane F1, 3ga. x 12nd year 2014
Goat's Weed OW, Shane F1, 3gal. x 1 2nd year 2014
'Black Pearl' OW, THSC, 3gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
NuMex Twilight OW, CPI via Siliman, 2gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014
Fatali OW, Peppermania, 4gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014 
Orange Manzano OW 7gal. x 1 - 3rd year 2014

Plants germinated 8/15/2013:
Goat's Weed, Shane F1, 1gal. x2
Goat's Weed, Shane 2012, 1gal. x1
Aji Amarillo, Peruvian Market 2012, 1gal. x 2
Aji Amarillo, PepperGal 2012, 1gal. x 1
Orange Manzano, Shane F1, 1gal. x 3
Wild Texas Tepin, THSC 2012, 1gal. x 3

Starting From SeedBold font indicates mid-December sowing for long-season varieties.
Ghost (SP* F1)
Reaper (Sawyer 2013
Funky Reaper (Sawyer 2013)
7 Pot Burgundy (Sawyer 2013)
Bhut Jolokia Yellow (Sawyer 2013
NagaBrain (Windchicken F3 2013)
Jigsaw (Baker's Peppers 2013)
Primo (MGold 2012 pod)
Brain (Romy6 2012 pod)
Douglah (Alphanerdz via Trippa, Stickman)
Indian Carbon (MGold 2012 pod)
Trin. Scorp. (USHotStuff 2012)
Infinity (SP F1)
Butch T (SP F1)
'Scotch Bonnet TFM' (Trippa F1)
Giant White Habanero (RP F2)
Congo Trinidad Yellow (Sanarda F1)
Fatali x Red Savina (Justaguy via Spankycolts F2)
Mountain Pepper (Honduran Market F1)
*SP = seed harvested from plants from Spankycolts 2012

Wilds and Milds:
Cheiro Recife (Sean W via Stickman 2013)
Wild Brazil F1 (Shane 2012)
Hungarian Sweet Paprika (Stickman 2013)
Marconi Rosso (Hume F1)
Costeño åmarillo F1 (SoCalChilihead 2012)
Giant Jalapeño (SoCalChilihead 2012)

The items in bold font went into distilled water today, 12/15,
and will go into Jiffy pellets tomorrow.  The incubator has the
cell pack with the three Giant white Habanero seeds that
germinated planted in it:
_DSC0822a_zps97fa25ce.jpg

Water added after pic taken:
_DSC0824a_zpsa399a3a1.jpg

Just a quick update on the wild Texas Tepins.  This one has the most ripe pods; all will have to go to the greenhouse when and if I need space for starts in party cups:
_DSC0823a_zps7a653076.jpg

RocketMan said:
Man 37" that thing is going to be a monster if it ever gets outside and into the ground! Looks nice and happy in the greenhouse though
Right on, Bill!  It's got at least 5 months in the greenhouse to survive 
before that can happen   ;)   The greenhouse seems to suit it, though.
We'll see how it goes in the short days of December and January/February.

Love that rhombodium Paul. Has top be the purdiest plant in the pepper world IMHO . 

Another stellar year from the master NW grower . 

Thanks for letting us tag along !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Devv said:
I have faith in you Paul, that plant will thrive I'm sure.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Scott!

romy6 said:
 Love that rhombodium Paul. Has top be the purdiest plant in the pepper world IMHO . 
It has grown another 2 1/2 inches since I posted that pic!  I can't believe it.  I am getting a
little concerned it might not fit in the greenhouse   :rofl:
Another stellar year from the master NW grower . 

Thanks for letting us tag along !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  The pleasure was all mine, brother!  
Thanks for putting up with the fits ands starts!

I looked up some pics of the rhomboidium on line.  
It has gorgeous foliage, all right.

I'm not sure about the master part, my friend, but mother nature
was good to us here this year, for sure!

Thanks for hanging on as the season lurched forward, Jamie!
Your grow just seems to keep going forward now that you have
the aerogarden cranking 'em out!

Hi Paul, glad to see your growing season had a big finish this year, and good on ya for getting an early start on the next! :dance:

Our electric rates are going up 29% this winter, so I'm going to have to get my superhot plants from elsewhere as the more affordable option. I gave my Chinense seeds to a young man (who has a contract garden he runs with his mother) with the understanding that he'd give me some of the plants he starts with them. I'll probably buy any other varieties I want from local nurseries or from Cross Country Nursery in New Jersey.

stickman said:
Hi Paul, glad to see your growing season had a big finish this year, and good on ya for getting an early start on the next! :dance:

Our electric rates are going up 29% this winter, so I'm going to have to get my superhot plants from elsewhere as the more affordable option. I gave my Chinense seeds to a young man (who has a contract garden he runs with his mother) with the understanding that he'd give me some of the plants he starts with them. I'll probably buy any other varieties I want from local nurseries or from Cross Country Nursery in New Jersey.

OMG! 29%? That's insane! And the justification is?

Devv said:

OMG! 29%? That's insane! And the justification is?

They claim it's due to increased fuel prices and higher demand, but I think that's just a smoke screen... I don't think it's a coincidence that the state levied $5m in fines on Western Mass. Electric and National Grid for their fumbling repairs during the heavy snow we had last winter and then a few days later announcing that the state regulatory agency had OK'd the rate hike. I think they're just passing the cost of the fines on to the consumers.

stickman said:

They claim it's due to increased fuel prices and higher demand, but I think that's just a smoke screen... I don't think it's a coincidence that the state levied $5m in fines on Western Mass. Electric and National Grid for their fumbling repairs during the heavy snow we had last winter and then a few days later announcing that the state regulatory agency had OK'd the rate hike. I think they're just passing the cost of the fines on to the consumers.
 I'm so sorry Rick!

Got it.  Thanks, Penny

@Rick.  I thought fuel prices were dropping?  Sorry to hear you and your
neighbors are getting jacked around on that deal, buddy.

Started some Aji seeds on 11/15.  Got these on 11/20.  These seeds were paper towel dried:
_DSC2486a_zps626d674d.jpg

_DSC2485a_zps6e14a193.jpg

_DSC2487a_zps88fc42d1.jpg

There are a couple more hooks peeking up this evening.  Should be cotys tomorrow.  I guess that means the start of the 2015 season!

PaulS said:
Is it that time already!?
I know, seems unreal; like the treadmill  just keeps going!

stickman said:
 Good on ya buddy... I can see 2015 is gonna be a serious production year for you! :dance:

A little early for counting chickens, but it is a good start.  I plan on at least three
Aji Amarillo plants next season.  It's become one of my favorites.  

It just never stops ;)

I would be doing the same if I didn't have Christmas travel plans, but they will go in the trays before I leave.

PaulG said:
I know, seems unreal; like the treadmill  just keeps going!

Devv said:
It just never stops ;)

I would be doing the same if I didn't have Christmas travel plans, but they will go in the trays before I leave.

True. I'm excited for this season, it seems you learn something new each year, this year I've learnt loads and can't wait to get started!

@ Devv and PaulS:  You guys are wearin' me out   :rofl:

My impromptu germ-off between the air-dried seeds and the dehydrator 105˚F dried seeds
turned out to be a stand-off.  The dehydrator dried seeds had at least as good a germ rate
as the air-dried seeds, and less helmet heads.  That's a relief.  I thought I might have
screwed the pooch by drying pods for seeds at 105˚.

P.S.  Will post update pics of the aji amarillo and manzano seedlings in a couple of days.

P.P.S.  The c. rhomboidium in the greenhouse is now 43" tall.  That's an inch a day growth
over the past six days!  It shows no sign of slowing down.

Paul,

Great to hear about the Germ-off results.  Do you have any idea what the magic temp number might be when there starts to be a difference?  I dialed my dehydrator in at 104 deg this year and while it does take longer for things to dry, I did notice better color retention with the peppers.  Just wondering how fast I could actually dry the seeds before I start causing problems  for them.

Great to read about your results!

bpwilly said:
Paul,

Great to hear about the Germ-off results.  Do you have any idea what the magic temp number might be when there starts to be a difference?  I dialed my dehydrator in at 104 deg this year and while it does take longer for things to dry, I did notice better color retention with the peppers.  Just wondering how fast I could actually dry the seeds before I start causing problems  for them.

Great to read about your results!
I have a feeling that 105˚ might be pushing the limit, but that's just a guess.  I've never
read of anyone using higher temps than that with success.  It may be variety-dependent,
as well.  Maybe the Ajis are more tolerant, I don't know.  How's that for nebulous?   We'll
find out in January when I start germinating the chinenses.

My guess is that your seeds from the dehydrator are good to go.

I agree that the color retention is better; the powders I get from the 105˚-dried pods almost
shine with color, especially some of the yellows.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday, my friend!

Paul,

Best thing about this pepper growing hobby is that there are more mysteries than facts.  Makes it fun to try different approaches.  Thanks for the notes,  nebulous is about as close as we can get sometimes in this game!

Have a great holiday and fingers crossed for the Seahawks!

Bill

bpwilly said:
Paul,

Best thing about this pepper growing hobby is that there are more mysteries than facts.  Makes it fun to try different approaches.  Thanks for the notes,  nebulous is about as close as we can get sometimes in this game!

Have a great holiday and fingers crossed for the Seahawks!

Bill
Thanks, bro.  Go 'hawks!

Back