• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2019

No grow log for the 2018 season other than the Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques
thread dedicated to Trippa's cross. That one is an ongoing community project going into
second year and a test of the F7 generation. I imagine I will mention it once-in-a-while in
this thread, but the details of its progress will be in the dedicated thread.

I am deciding on a grow list for the 2019 season after growing only Trippa's cross this
season (2018). I definitely have some old favorites that will comprise the great majority
of the grow. I have limited space, so I'm counting on nature to help me make the final
decision. I'll probably start lots of seeds since I'm gun-shy from the poor germination
rates the past couple of seasons.

Here's the pool. Would be nice to be able to grow a bunch of all of them!  I think my
neighbor will shelter the overflow in his yard, but we'll see what to plant and how many
based on what might germinate  :rofl:

c. chinese - 10 varieties
  • PdN x BMJ, F7, white and violet varieties, Trippa's cross
  • Fatali, F2 of seed from Pepper Joe's
  • 7 Pot Burgundy, brown phenotype, pecan shape from 2017 F2 of the 7PB from Windchicken 
  • Scotch Bonnet, MoA, F2 of seeds from John/Sim, not high production, but some nice pods
  • JA Red Habanero, F5 of seed from Walk Good/Devv
  • Yellow Scorpion, F7 aka Yellow Trinidad Moruga Scorpion and CARDI Scorpion, from Spankycolts plant 2012
  • Bhut Jolokia, Red, F4, from Spankycolts plant 2012
  • Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate, F3 of seed from Georgia Growhead
  • Bhut Jolokia, hybrid, F2 - I believe it is a  (BJred) x (Pdn x BMJ F1 or F2)
  • Yellow 7 Pot, F2 of seed from Trippa 2013
c. annuum - 4 varieties:
  • JA Red Mushroom, F3, brown phenotype, seed from Refining Fire
  • Pimenta de Padron - Spanish seed, fry up while small and green, throw on some salt
  • Pimenta del Piquillo - Spanish seed, sweet, very flavorful, small stuffers
  • Guindilla - Spanish seed, spicy heat, great pickled, long and skinny
c. frutescens - 2 varieties:
  • Nagahari from Tezpur, India, supposedly very, very hot freebie from Pepper Joe's 2017
  • Chili Costa Rica, F2 (2014) from Hippy Seed Company seed, 2012
c. pubescens - 1 variety:
  • Red Rocoto, F3 of Peruvian Market seed, 2016
That about does it. Seeding time will be here before we know it!

@Paul: I would be starting in 4 weeks but I'll be on the road to SC to visit Mom&Dad, as an unemployed individual :party:  :party:  :party:  . I will get it in gear as soon as I get back. However, I am considering sowing and then driving, and see what is what when I get home?

@DW: Come Monday (Oct 7th) we should see 80's as a high. No measurable rain here since the end of June. Temps have been 95°++ since then as well. I'm with you bro. I really want to spread the wealth!

This Jamaican Mushroom pic is from
several days ago. It is almost ripe now:
6E3AC13A-8ED9-4193-9C08-163508EBDE47.jpeg

Fresh harvest ready for the dryer - 7 Pot Pecan pods:
D6AF75BB-6E06-4BBD-9291-F500B6BF7E50.jpeg
36DA33C1-72B1-4B1E-977F-86E4DA579938.jpeg

Been drying pods at low temperature. With 9
trays on the NESCO dryer the top tray measures
104F and the bottom one, 100F. Colors maintained
very nicely.

Great colors on these Scotch Bonnet and PDN x BMJ pods:
7F6DED61-2A2A-4240-868E-812B77A1D560.jpeg

De-seeded Beth Boyd Scotch Bonnets:
DA80D246-A35A-4E6B-A2CD-64A0EF0B2E0B.jpeg

More dried pods:
FFA121CD-DB04-40E8-B11C-F235263BF893.jpeg

By the looks of it Paul you have grown some great varieties even if your season started slowly. Really pleased MoA and Beth bonnets worked well for you. Have a good trip to Mum and Dad. I have been recently caring full time for my dad (99) who fell and broke his wrist and was a nightmare in hospital causing havoc with his walking stick banging it for attention from his bedside. He is now recuperating with my sister

Let me know if there are any other bonnets you would like to grow

Devv said:

@DW: Come Monday (Oct 7th) we should see 80's as a high. No measurable rain here since the end of June. Temps have been 95°++ since then as well. I'm with you bro. I really want to spread the wealth!

I know you don't get a whole bunch of rain but isn't zero rain for months highly unusual?

Looks like our predicted rain is gonna fizzle out. Eh, at least it's a bunch cooler. May not get above 90 today.

PaulG said:

Are those pecan pods as delicious as they look?

Which Nesco motor do you have? I've never seen trays with the "teeth" surrounding the inner column.

BDASPNY said:
those dried pods are looking great!  what screens are you using on the dehydrator? I could really use something similar.

These screens are for the small Nesco but they work just fine in my big dehydrators. Not a perfect fit but close enough to catch 99% of the falling seeds. For $3 each compared to more than $9 each, I think they work great. I bought a dozen to line my new trays.

https://www.amazon.com/Nesco-LM-2-Screen-Dehydrators-FD-61WHC/dp/B00004W4V8/

DWB said:

I know you don't get a whole bunch of rain but isn't zero rain for months highly unusual?

Looks like our predicted rain is gonna fizzle out. Eh, at least it's a bunch cooler. May not get above 90 today.

Are those pecan pods as delicious as they look?

Which Nesco motor do you have? I've never seen trays with the "teeth" surrounding the inner column.

These screens are for the small Nesco but they work just fine in my big dehydrators. Not a perfect fit but close enough to catch 99% of the falling seeds. For $3 each compared to more than $9 each, I think they work great. I bought a dozen to line my new trays.

https://www.amazon.com/Nesco-LM-2-Screen-Dehydrators-FD-61WHC/dp/B00004W4V8/

awesome! ill be ordering some of them.  falling seeds has been a pain.  thanks!

Wow those dried pods look great Paul! The slow and easy route really pays off for great colors ;) Well done this season buddy!

@DW: Unusual that we go 100 days without rain. But when it comes you'll read about it in the news, it will flood. Funny, no one ever complains about the rain here when we get it ;)

Lots of harvesting and dehydrating going on.
Just some pics so I can remember what
happened when next season rolls around

Some dried seed pods:
22B6DE8B-80CE-4616-B412-C4CE05AE9F2A.jpeg

A pile o heat here. Bhut Jolokia:
4FE26742-3E22-4422-AD67-E3F593B11E71.jpeg

JA Mushrooms. One ripening Red, finally,
the other seems to be more brown:
262CB3B9-CCC4-430C-9B17-7DD60435EDD4.jpeg
8DCA57B1-7643-453A-B6D8-6DC54A00D750.jpeg

These are the largest mushroom pods I have grown,
maybe twice as big as past pods.

The PDN x BJ from Dragon49. It is over 4 feet tall and
has not set a single pod. The slowest growing Plant I have
ever grown. Dont know what I am going to do with it to
keep it alive until Spring :
9B41221F-6E5A-4907-AB9A-99C3038FC41B.jpeg

bpiela said:
Paul,

Question for you.  When dehydrating for seeds, typically what temp are you shooting for and how long do you run the dehydrator for?

Thanks,

Ben
Hey, Ben! I set my dehydrator around 100F.
I think 95-105 is a safe range.

I just dry until pods are brittle.

Great looking pods, if I ever manage to grow as many pods as you did I'll step up my dehydrator game. For now I just have a little cheap one that works, but temp isn't adjustable. I think it is supposed to run at 140.

As for rain. I think it's only trained once since April and that wasn't much.

PaulG said:
Hey, Ben! I set my dehydrator around 100F.
I think 95-105 is a safe range.

I just dry until pods are brittle.

So,  at least a whole day or so right?  If I load up the dehydrator, it sometimes takes a couple of days...

Back