PC-1

I'm having a little discussion/debate over the jolokia pepper. Anyone care to comment? I'm the bold fonts

Man, you should see all the Dorset Nagas that I’m getting off of my 2 plants. One day I harvested 65 of them!

How hot are they? I’ve eaten jolokia’s that weren’t as hot as a habanero.

The Dorset Naga, Bhut Jolokia, Bih Jolokia, Naga Morich, etc, are all super hot and at around the 750k to a million Scoville range. They are the only pepper that makes my stomach a holy living hell about an hour after I eat them. Mouth burn is one thing, but what they can do to your stomach is an entirely different matter!

I was just saying all peppers vary in potency.
That’s true. But if you had a pepper called “Naga Jolokia”, that one is named just for marketing BS. It’s actually an Indian PC-1, and isn’t even in the habanero (Capsicum Chinense) family. I mistakenly ordered those last year, and they were a seedy and terrible Asian pepper. Like Flav said, don’t believe the hype! http://www.reimerseeds.com/indian-pc-1-hot-peppers.aspx

Well if you have an internet link it must be true.

He is right about the pc-1 except it isn't marketing B.S. since the pc-1(naga jolokia) has been around these parts much longer than the naga morich /bhuts. There are also naga jolokia purple annuums that have been around here quite a while.
When you see "Naga Jolokia", you should usually expect the dissapointing pc-1 type

Edit: The pc-1's are not Asian peppers like buddy says, they are still from India but are C.frutescens or C annuums
Also, never order from Reimer's, they are rip off artists ;)

not to add even more confusion but there are still alot of people in India that refer to actual Bhuts as Naga Jolokia and they are not talking about pc-1's. Frontal Agritech one of the bigger commercial growers in india considers the bih and naga jolokia the same, actually they consider them all the same bhuts bih naga etc.. and thats coming from the people who grow em in India http://www.frontalagritech.co.in/products.htm
Now Im not saying I agree that they are the same, but they are definatley not refering to the PC-1 in this case.

He sends me to another website...

NAGA JOLOKIA (TEZPUR) PC-1
Species: Frutescens Origin: India Heat: Medium
Add to my growing list

The real deal is a Chinense, but there are also Annuum & Frutescen versions (shown here) grown across the world which are no where near as hot. The anuum version is sold under the name PC-1 in the US and the heat level is medium/hot (at best) despite the claims of 'ebay seed sellers'. The 'real deal' is reputed to be even hotter than the offical world record holder the Red Savina Habanero. We believe the 'real deal' is probably the Naga Morich from the descriptions we have read.

not to add even more confusion but there are still alot of people in India that refer to actual Bhuts as Naga Jolokia and they are not talking about pc-1's.
Naga morich, Bhut jolokia, and Dorset naga are the real deal. "Naga jolokia" nearly all the time is the dissapointing pc-1, although in the past it was a term that covered many different jolokias(peppers) from nagaland(India) including C. chinenses, C.frutescens, and C. annuums

Back