• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Penny's Glog....sort of :)

Hey everyone,

I've been posting away in other people's Glogs, and I thought it was time to show off my gardens, so its not really so much of a Glog as it is pics....if this is in the wrong spot, please feel free to move it to the appropriate spot Mods...

I will, but first I got to collect the rest of my vocabulary. ;)  I'm not sure about open a thread right now. I ain't got no camera. But time will bring pictures, don't mind. :P And I got to manage this new platform here, I'm used to Hotpain.

Penny said:
I'm hoping so, want to do alot more canning this summer, and freeze a bunch too. I've used up my frozen stash already and have had to resort to buying those red things they call tomatoes, at the grocery store!! :)
Yeah, I don't know what those things are, but they can't possibly be tomatoes.  Tomatoes have flavor.  I made the mistake of buying a store-bought tomato once.  Once.  I hope to can a lot of vegetables, tomatoes included, this summer.  I have all the equipment and supplies, just gotta do it.

Jerry said:
Hey Penny, here I am. :party:  You are responsible for this. :P
:welcome: , Jerry.  You will be assimilated. 
2a9ck8y.gif
  Resistance is futile.

Sawyer said:
Yeah, I don't know what those things are, but they can't possibly be tomatoes.  Tomatoes have flavor.  I made the mistake of buying a store-bought tomato once.  Once.  I hope to can a lot of vegetables, tomatoes included, this summer.  I have all the equipment and supplies, just gotta do it.

:welcome: , Jerry.  You will be assimilated. 
2a9ck8y.gif
  Resistance is futile.
Got your PM, thanks again. :)

Penny said:
I'm hoping so, want to do alot more canning this summer, and freeze a bunch too. I've used up my frozen stash already and have had to resort to buying those red things they call tomatoes, at the grocery store!! :)

Hey Penny, if you've done a lot of canning of tomatoes, do you find that the indeterminate ones turn to mush if you can them? I was thinking of just canning Romas this fall, but if the big juicy ones won't turn to mush, they might be good too.

Jeff H said:
Hey Penny, if you've done a lot of canning of tomatoes, do you find that the indeterminate ones turn to mush if you can them? I was thinking of just canning Romas this fall, but if the big juicy ones won't turn to mush, they might be good too.
I pretty much use amish paste which is a indeterminate, but also use alot of roma's which are determinate....both are good. Not done a pile of canning in the past, but I've been asked to up my quota lol, now that everyone is out of the house, they all want some for theirs ;)

@Sawyer: I'm already assimilated. :P  If you like take a look at the german Hot Pain Chiliforum. Ask Penny. ;) Thanks for the welcome. :)

Oh Penny, tomatos at this time from the grocerys... I did this mistake yesterday, but what else we gonna do.

Penny said:
I pretty much use amish paste which is a indeterminate, but also use alot of roma's which are determinate....both are good. Not done a pile of canning in the past, but I've been asked to up my quota lol, now that everyone is out of the house, they all want some for theirs ;)

How would you compare the flavor between amish paste and roma? I really like the idea bigger longer yields off an indeterminate plant... but I also have heard that for saving, roma's are the winner. Might have to give those amish paste's a shot...

Stsrts are all looking good, Penny.  
Having fun, yet?

Nick08* said:
How would you compare the flavor between amish paste and roma? I really like the idea bigger longer yields off an indeterminate plant... but I also have heard that for saving, roma's are the winner. Might have to give those amish paste's a shot...
I like them both for canning....Roma's are not as watery/juice inside, which is great for making sauce, and not as many seeds inside, if your not a fan of alot of seeds in your cooking. Amish paste is one of my favourites, great flavour off them when cooking, and both do well when you freeze them too. :)

PaulG said:
Stsrts are all looking good, Penny.  
Having fun, yet?
Thanks Paul......and Hell yeah!!! ;)

Jeff H said:
Do tell Penny. I don't think I have ever thought about freezing tomatoes. Is it similar to freezing peppers? Just get a little mushy when thawed?
Its really simple.....wash them well, cut the stem out, and just place on a baking tray in the freezer, and once frozen just put them in freezer bags. I've never removed the skin, some people do, but i dont, i find they eventually break down some in stews and sauces, even a sauce thats been simmering all day would work.
Even a few bags of cherry tomatoes are great, in dishes that call for tomatoes.....of course though once thawed they are mushy.

We haven't tried freezing tomatoes, sounds like a plan.  If you're pleased with the results, we may give it a whirl this year.
That doesn't mean we won't smoke, sauce, and dry some too :)
Already have seed in hand and shooting for about 60-75 plants.  

Been canning maties for years, last year over 70 quarts. We grow Early Girl to try and beat the heat. We've frozen them too but canning saves freezer space; LB wants to have enough in the freezer for the apocalypse, so canning is best for us. A bit watery, but we drain that off when we use them, mainly for Italian red sauce and salza. I have some San Marzano planted but no takers yet. Roma's just don't don't produce here, they seem prone to BER. But that's and issue with my high PH soil I guess.

Devv said:
Roma's just don't don't produce here, they seem prone to BER. But that's and issue with my high PH soil I guess.

Maybe... but I think uneven watering might be more likely.  Tomatoes don't like to be as dry as peppers Scott. If you had a soaker hose or low-pressure drip irrigation system rigged up on a timer for them they'd be a lot happier. The tomatoes would be less likely to split their skins when it rains too, as long as you remember to turn off the irrigation while it's raining... ;)

stickman said:

Maybe... but I think uneven watering might be more likely.  Tomatoes don't like to be as dry as peppers Scott. If you had a soaker hose or low-pressure drip irrigation system rigged up on a timer for them they'd be a lot happier. The tomatoes would be less likely to split their skins when it rains too, as long as you remember to turn off the irrigation while it's raining... ;)
Rick,

They struggle when all the other tomatoes are doing well, I used to grow many varieties, buying the plants locally. Phoenix, Solar Heat, all the varieties that are supposed to do well here, and they never made here. Early Girl is flat indestructible in my climate. Me and maties go way back to '82. My feelings are if I can get the PH correct in the garden I should be OK. Now PH and me are new together, always learning. Wait another sticky note!

Back