• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Pepper Infused Vodka

Just gave it a go! It's awesome!!! You can taste characteristics of many peppers (no surprise there). The heat is definitely there, but it is absolutely tolerable. The pepper flavor sits on your tongue for a solid couple of minutes and it finishes with a very light garlic taste in the clamato.

I think I have a winner!!!

bloodymary.jpg

The heat creeps up a bit.

Depends on you taste, But as you said, I would start with a tablespoon( I personally prefer more, but i just love honey), try it out and if it is not good enough, put in some more, and taste again. Repeat until it fits your preferences :D
BR
Jan
I'm gonna add the honey and re-taste. Sounds like a good excuse to have another drink. lol

Update: Gave it a try and it has more burn and a smoother taste. I am thinking the extra burn also has to do with the fact I had to shake it up pretty good to dissolve the honey. 1 TBSP it is.

Recently infused a cheap-o liter of Smirnoff, splitting it into two 500ml containers - one with three Red Savinas and the other with two smallish (1 1/4" long) Bhuts and a big (2" round) 7-Pot Jonah. Nothing special to prep or infuse, just slit the peppers and stuffed into the bottles. Tasted last night after a week or so of storage in a dark cabinet.

The Red Savina vodka was HOT tasted straight, the unique citrus-y flavor and aroma of the Savinas was very obvious. I can see where it will make a killer Bloody Mary (gonna call it a "Blood Barry" :onfire: ).

The other bottle....well, let's say a small sip caused me to sneeze, cough, and the lips and throat were on fire for a while. I thinned the remaining vodka with another 500ml of Smirnoff to mellow it out a bit! Dummy that I am, I came up with a "Devil's Blood Martini" - I added a couple drops of red food coloring to the vodka, then made a martini using a splash of dry vermouth and a home-pickled cherry pepper stuffed with Maytag blue cheese.

It looked and tasted AWESOME :hell: but still a bit too hot to indulge more than one. I'll take a pic next time I make one.

A couple questions for those of you who have done this for a while -

How long does the vodka continue to pull heat and color out of the peppers? If this gets much hotter, I'm gonna end up with two or three bottles of this stuff around for a while...

And does the flavor/heat fade over time?

I have been drinking this vodka purely in bloody mary's. I had three bloody mary's last night each with about 3oz. of the pepper infused vodka, and this morning my pee burned!!!

I knew it was hot going down, and I have experienced the second burn out the back, but peeing heat was a new one for me.

The sad thing is... I think I liked it... :lol: :hell:

BTW I also used Smirnoff, but I really like Smirnoff. Just because it's not expensive does not mean it's not quality.

I have been drinking this vodka purely in bloody mary's. I had three bloody mary's last night each with about 3oz. of the pepper infused vodka, and this morning my pee burned!!!

Are you sure that it was the pepper vodka that caused the "next day burning sensation"? There are a few other possible causes, you know? Especially when one has been drinking heavily the night before. :D

Depends on you taste, But as you said, I would start with a tablespoon( I personally prefer more, but i just love honey), try it out and if it is not good enough, put in some more, and taste again. Repeat until it fits your preferences :D
BR
Jan
Sounds interesting...another experiment!!!!

A couple questions for those of you who have done this for a while -

How long does the vodka continue to pull heat and color out of the peppers? If this gets much hotter, I'm gonna end up with two or three bottles of this stuff around for a while...

And does the flavor/heat fade over time?

The pods will eventually go completely white, but IMO it's best to remove them after a week, two at the most as other less desirable flavors begin to leech from the pod and most of the capsaicin has been infused by this time.

I doubt the heat will ever fade, but I've never had a bottle last for very long. :)

I put 1whole naga jolokia not cut or slit in a bottle of clear sambuca, 8 weeks later it was a pretty hot drop to do shots with. Brutalised some mates who "thought" they liked chillis hahahaha. Now gotta work out how to get the chilli outa the bottle and see who'll eat the little bugger :-)

Haha Growler I did the same thing. One bhut in a bottle of cheap Sobieski, left it at a buddies place and 4 months later it's ridiculous. Convinced people who said they like spicy food to try it. Great reactions lol. I did notice though it's not so much the burn in the mouth it's when it gets to your gut it caused cramps and burned pretty bad.

Should have some fatalis and naga moriches in the next few months, thinkin I'm gonna try the same with them.

Also I should have some nice aji limons. Never had them before but figured since my lady likes citrus and vodka but can't handle the heat at all, might as well give that a shot too.

Sounds like a great combo ya got goin though!

I think it's a good combination.I came across this report today -http://www.fastmr.com/prod/289658_global_beer_manufacturing.aspx.
I'm not familiar the publisher, but it looks pretty focused. Anybody here know the company?

THE END RESULT IS MUCH BETTER IF YOU REMOVE THE PODS AFTER 48 HRS!!!!!! I'M NOT YELLING, JUST DON'T WANNA RETYPE!!HAHA

Limons would be cool......with a touch of yellow bhut(bottom half?) or Fatalii.......;)!
cheers-
Dave

Are you sure that it was the pepper vodka that caused the "next day burning sensation"? There are a few other possible causes, you know? Especially when one has been drinking heavily the night before. :D

LOL. Yes, I am sure. I have done it a few times and each time a similar reaction. The first time was the worst though.

THE END RESULT IS MUCH BETTER IF YOU REMOVE THE PODS AFTER 48 HRS!!!!!! I'M NOT YELLING, JUST DON'T WANNA RETYPE!!HAHA

Limons would be cool......with a touch of yellow bhut(bottom half?) or Fatalii....... ;)!
cheers-
Dave

I have experimented with this quite a few times now, and I really think the one week mark is where I get the most desirable flavor and heat without the bitter taste that follows if you leave them any longer. The honey is definitely a keeper too. It really smoothes out the flavor especially if you are using a cheaper vodka. I have used Smirnoff for every batch so far.

after this, try infusing a good Tequilla...it is delicious...

I have some pepper-infused tequila sitting on my fridge. I made it so that it could be appreciated by my non-chilehead friends, only used a couple habaneros, a few Cayennes, some Tabasco, an Aji Crystal, and a Jalapeno. It definitely has some kick, but none of that superhot craziness.

Strangest thing, it tastes like really good spicy vegetable soup. Goes really well in a Bloody Maria.

Also, I only let mine infuse for... I want to say four days.

I forgot how hot this vodka came out. Damn was that bloody mary hot!!!

I think it has gotten hotter with time, or maybe because I haven't been eating fresh peppers so my tolerance is down. I don't know, but damn it lit me up tonight.

awesome, sounds good nmorris, have you guys tried that new southerncomfort pepper? i think bacardi makes somthing spicy too not sure though

awesome, sounds good nmorris, have you guys tried that new southerncomfort pepper? i think bacardi makes somthing spicy too not sure though

Nope. Never tried it. I am actually not much of a hard liquor guy. Thats why I still have al little less than half of this bottle of vodka left. I was on a spicy bloody mary kick there for a while, but haven't been in the mood very often lately.

I have been infusing my own pepper vodka for awhile now.

My drink of choice that a good friend of my actually turned me onto.

Moscow Mule
Fill glass to top with Ice
1/4 glass pepper infused vodka
1/4 glass fresh squeezed lime juice
Fill the remaining with Ginger Beer

The best ginger beer to use is
goslings-ginger-beer.jpg

Final result:

561977_10151057559569064_797101183_n.jpg

Back