vendor Pepper Joe

I ordered my first season's seeds from pepper joe a while back. He has a small selection that he grows out each year. He will send you seeds in little coin envelopes and always sends some free varieties with each order. I had excellent germination rates from all of his seed with the exception of one variety that I ordered. Considering how it was my first season and I was germinating OUTDOORS in soil (dumb dumb dumb) I was very pleased with the germ rates and I assume most of my problem seed was due to poor growing skills in my first season. I also germinated two more of his seeds the next season that had been stored in a drawer for a year, and both germinated.

I will say that he has a higher rate of hybrids than most growers. I'm not sure how he isolates his plants if at all but I've gotten hybrids from him. I also reallllly wish he would post more pictures of his pods because it's really hard to tell what you're going to get. My Bhut Jolokia seeds that I got from him didn't get a chance to fruit the first year, but the second year the plant I grew out ended up not being a true Bhut. I'm not sure if it was a hybrid or what, because it had a pointed shape that looks like a lot of the smaller bhuts I see on the web and definitely had C. chinenses genetics, but it was nothing like the large, wrinkled, superhots you see coming out of the NMCPI. Also probably around hab heat or slightly above, not superhot. I'll post pics on request.

Overall I'd say he's a good source for novice growers but I wouldn't recommend him if you're trying to get superhots and such. There are more reputable sources out there. Overall probably a C+/B-

lets just say.. i did all that i could imagine correctly and it just seems that the seeds didnt want to pop out.. im glad for those that got good germ rates.. but i recall seeing others who struggled to get them to germ... regardless of method.. point in case.. replacement seeds sent to me and received... heres to hoping they decide to germ

I'm pretty much a noob but I am better now than I was a year ago. During my first season, I bought all my seeds from Pepper Joe and I was able to get all of them (Ghost, 7 Pot, Butch T, Jalapenos and Thai Sun) to pop except for the Chili Tepin and the Choc. Hab. Unfortunately, my chickens and lack of knowledge gave me lackluster production results but still gave me enough to know that each pepper was as advertised (except for the 7 Pot and Butch T because I planted them too late and didn't get to see a pod).

I bought the Reaper, Giant Ghost and a few others from him this year and am using a heat mat and Bio Dome. I was able to get everything to pop (including the Tepin from last year) but not the Choc Hab.

Here's a bit of a side tangent. My interest in peppers came after I picked up a bottle of a ghost pepper hot sauce at a fair. I Googled "Ghost Pepper" and Pepper Joe's site came up. I hadn't grown much more than the grass in my yard (as in the grass you mow) but after reading his website I was willing to try to grow my own peppers from seed. For my skill level, his website was a great help and gave me enough knowledge to try it on my own. So in short, thanks Joe.

Eleven Reaper seeds were in the packet, and we planted all of them with no pre-soaking of the seeds. 7/11 have come up or shown a hook 7 days after planting.

IMG_1360.JPG

UPDATE - Well Pepper Joe uses this website and stands by his product. He read my comment and within a day of it posting he sent a message asking for my address to send me replacement Choc. Habs. (I should have noted before that I've tried 17 different types of seed from Pepper Joe and all but the Choc. Habs grew). Two days later, he sent me replacement seeds AND an extra pack of White 7 Pot.

Thanks again Joe.

I just ordered the dynomite pack of superhots from Pepper Joe a few days ago. Its got Reapers, Butch T's, Bhuts and two other super hots in the box. I can't wait to get them and my freebies and then germinate.

Shoegazeronfire,
You're going to love the Heat Level and the flavor of our "Box of Dynamite".
Thanks for being a customer and consider joining our Facebook Page. We just got a bunch of great germination reports today on the Carolina Reapers germination % on Facebook (the Reaper is in your 'Box of Dynamite'). That's exciting because there will be Tens of thousands of gardeners growing the Reaper this summer. Also, consider signing up for our Free Newsletter "Chile News & Views".
We like to stay connected to our customers every step of the way.
ENJOY!!
Pepper Joe

box of dynamite1TM PIC.jpg

I just got the box of seeds today and man did that envelope smell like awesome fruity fire. I really dug my freebies as well, I have never heard of the Sapporo Pepper and I am stoked about growing it as well as the Santa Fe Grande. But I liked your FB page 2 years ago and have posted pics on there as well. I just signed up for your Newletter a week ago. Thanks for the great service you guys do and the very high quaility seeds you sell.

Most of my seeds were from Joe. I've been gardening for a few years but never really got into the hots. This year I said sorry wife, but I there will be pots all over the yard and deck. This was my first time ordering from him. I must say I am very pleased. Great germ rates on all ( even reapers 12/12) except for the choc habs 1/12. Sounds like I'm on the same boat. I am giving that one choc daily pep talks. Well thanks Joe!! Love the newsletter and your videos. You one funny guy. Looks like I will be trying Penny's tomatoes next year!!

Got my order from Joe a few weeks back. Everything is growing nicely. The butch t seeds I planted all sprouted within around 4 days or so and the peter peppers were right behind them.
Once I make more space in the grow room Ill be ordering some more seeds from you all.

I love the free seeds and have those growing as well.

:dance:

I came home today and looked in my mail box, well dangnabit I saw that long awaited Pepper Joe envelope! I clicked my heels and jumped for joy. Thanks pepper joe for the quality product and the speedy customer service! I'll be enjoying those super hots.

Even though it's my first day here, and I risk coming across as a shill, I wanted to give Joe a shout-out. I ordered from him earlier this year, and I've had nothing but success with his seeds.

Being an utter n00b at this, I didn't keep good notes on germination rates. For every plant I intended to grow, I tried to sprout three seeds. I believe all of the groups of three had at least two sprout, and I chose one that I thought looked healthy to plant. The seedlings are in the dirt, and going strong. Pictures... eventually.

i planted a ton of seeds from pepper joe, using the recommendations on his site. out of 108 peat pods, i think only 5 have failed to sprout. for some reason, 3 scotch bonnets in a row did not sprout. my technique was consistent in planting all peppers. i suspected i would have a few failures. all in all i am very pleased with my experience.

I had the same problem with chocolate habs last year and Joe sent out a replacement pack with more freebies. (I might've even posted earlier in this thread, but it's getting long and that's a lot of re-reading to confirm...)

I can't compare the quality of his seeds with anybody else since he's the only one I've ordered from, but the customer service makes up for any other complaints I could have.

Back