• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation Pepper mash

I would say that it can be done but the problem is... the peppers will thaw when you make that mash and the mash will be frozen again... but they say to never refreeze thawed goods...

the peppers will thaw when you make that mash and the mash will be frozen again... but they say to never refreeze thawed goods...
it doesn't work like that from what I've read - thaw peppers, make mash, mash ferments, keep mash in fridge for 3-6 months
but I'm worried that the thawed peppers will make a very wet mash

Umm...that's not fermenting frozen peppers lol. That's "how to make a hot sauce" using frozen peppers. This vid is ok, as long as you know what you'll end up with - a one-of-a-kind, non-repeatable hot sauce that requires refrigeration after bottling. Which is fine. Nothing wrong with this approach.

Talk to me about pepper mash - I have several bags of peppers taking up space in my freezer - can I make pepper mash out of frozen peppers?
Sure you can and I have (another) one fermenting at the moment! To get fermentation started quickly, I always use some Lactobacillus (mainly plantarum or brevis), which I also use to make sour beer from time to time. This may not be a necessary step but it works, it helps me sleep better and I almost always have some in my fridge anyway (just in case!) 🍺😎

1706025201902.png

So if I ferment the peppers do I have to keep them in the fridge? I'm going to need a bigger fridge at this rate :lol:
But if I just make sauce out of them do I have to keep it refrigerated? - this is what is confusing me

Also Bou, can I use pickle juice to start fermentation?

I don't have a fermentation port, so I can burp the jars every day.

So if I ferment the peppers do I have to keep them in the fridge? I'm going to need a bigger fridge at this rate :lol:
But if I just make sauce out of them do I have to keep it refrigerated? - this is what is confusing me

Also Bou, can I use pickle juice to start fermentation?

I don't have a fermentation port, so I can burp the jars every day.
I'm no expert at fermentation but I do know that low temperatures will slow down the fermentation process, which is the opposite of what you want at the beginning. The faster the fermentation starts, the less chances nasties will be taking over!

Not sure about your pickle juice though as you need some bacterial activity to start a new ferment. Adding some fresh veggies to it should help but I'll let others weigh in. You can also take a look online, there are probably many, many good references available already!

Last edited:
Back