• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation Pepper mash

Hmm, isn't ph lvl important here? Fermented hot sauces have low ph, so they are safe from nasties... Does freezing a pulp or peppers before change things due to weaker micro biolology chemical thingy something?

Hmm, isn't ph lvl important here? Fermented hot sauces have low ph, so they are safe from nasties... Does freezing a pulp or peppers before change things due to weaker micro biolology chemical thingy something?
Fermentation will naturally drop your pH as the bacteria "eat" & transform the sugars into lactic acid and CO2. Once my fermentation is complete (with fresh or frozen peppers) I bring my ferment to a boil (a few minutes) to ensure I kill any remaining Lacto and fermentation is completely stopped, I then measure the pH and adjust accordingly (if necessary) before bottling.

Last edited:
I ended up making chilli relish from a bag of last year's peppers, got room in the fridge for 1 jar, another 5 bags of peppers still in the freezer so I shall be experimenting :D You know what us girls are like, minimum effort for maximum pleasure :lol:
yBPfYsJm.jpg

Back