• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

news Pepper X Officially takes the title

The fancy Guinness paper mentions Winthrop University but I can't find any data anywhere. Does anybody have a link to the tests? I feel like something this big would be public somewhere. I mean, not that I've ever seen any data on The Reaper, or a consistent story as to it's parents.

Anyway, I'll believe it more if I can see the data. Better yet, I'd believe it more if it were tested somewhere besides the same place that had students test the Reaper.

The fancy Guinness paper mentions Winthrop University but I can't find any data anywhere. Does anybody have a link to the tests? I feel like something this big would be public somewhere. I mean, not that I've ever seen any data on The Reaper, or a consistent story as to it's parents.

Anyway, I'll believe it more if I can see the data. Better yet, I'd believe it more if it were tested somewhere besides the same place that had students test the Reaper.

I don't want to start any trouble but I don't think Ed would go public with this if it wasn't true. It doesn't make any sense to put something out this totally fake. It would ruin his company instantly if he did that. My point being there was no reason for him to fake anything imho.

Is Ed mentally hadicapped or just a BS artist or something?

He says that the Scoville scale is logarithmic and that Pepper X is 3 times hotter than the Carolina Reaper.... no one says anything to him though.

I'm not a pepper expert, so i didn't know 100% but i was pretty sure that the SHU scale was NOT logarithmic, so i googled it and it says that it is indeed a linear scale.

I had heard that he was a fraud in the past and this seemed pretty weird to me.

Last edited:
I don't want to start any trouble but I don't think Ed would go public with this if it wasn't true. It doesn't make any sense to put something out this totally fake. It would ruin his company instantly if he did that. My point being there was no reason for him to fake anything imho.
His history with literally everything shows that he is more than happy to do and say things that skirt truth. He knows now that the people who are on his side will keep him going no matter what comes out.

My only point is, let's see the data. That's an extremely unlikely test result from any pod, much less a mustard.

His history with literally everything shows that he is more than happy to do and say things that skirt truth. He knows now that the people who are on his side will keep him going no matter what comes out.

My only point is, let's see the data. That's an extremely unlikely test result from any pod, much less a mustard.

Have not seen the actual data yet anywhere. Mind you the this was just announced yesterday. Guinness does it's own testing, and works on the average. Short of padding pockets, or insider buddies. They only way I see funny business could happen would be cherry picked samples, or his claims that this is stable at this heat level.

We will only really be able to tell when the seeds get into 3rd party hands, and people can test for their own.

The quest for the hottest pepper seems pointless to me.

Businesses will take the hottest pepper, and then create various products that contain only a tiny trace of the pepper, and market it as something extreme, even when the final products are milder than a jalapeño.

Vote with your dollars by not buying the seeds or products. Consume peppers that were selectively bred to taste good. If you want it hotter, use more pepper.

I imagine he has something behind this — if only because he’s a salesman, and this will need to lead to him having something to sell. If I were him, I’d want another pepper whose name I could license, since that’s where the big money is… so I lean towards there being a real pepper here.

On the other hand, he’s a salesman and a bullshitter (but I repeat myself), so he’s also sure to be misrepresenting it somehow. 😛

The quest for the hottest pepper seems pointless to me.

Businesses will take the hottest pepper, and then create various products that contain only a tiny trace of the pepper, and market it as something extreme, even when the final products are milder than a jalapeño.

Vote with your dollars by not buying the seeds or products. Consume peppers that were selectively bred to taste good. If you want it hotter, use more pepper.
Do you know of any kind of 'best tasting peppers list' kind of threads that you could direct me to?

Have not seen the actual data yet anywhere. Mind you the this was just announced yesterday. Guinness does it's own testing, and works on the average. Short of padding pockets, or insider buddies. They only way I see funny business could happen would be cherry picked samples, or his claims that this is stable at this heat level.

We will only really be able to tell when the seeds get into 3rd party hands, and people can test for their own.

Guinness doesn't do testing of its own and the fancy certificate says it was tested at Winthrop University (the same place that verifies the Reaper all those years ago, oh and that was done by students) in August so the data is out there somewhere.

Heck, I should just email the University. Forget waiting haha.

If he really wanted to silence people like me he could send it to Southwest Bio Labs or CPI, but his buddies are all at Winthrop.

Last edited:
Guinness doesn't do testing of its own and the fancy certificate says it was tested at Winthrop University (the same place that verifies the Reaper all those years ago, oh and that was done by students) in August so the data is out there somewhere.

Heck, I should just email the University. Forget waiting haha.

If he really wanted to silence people like me he could send it to Southwest Bio Labs or CPI, but his buddies are all at Winthrop.

By "did their own" it's meant they did not just take his testing. But rather used an independent 3rd party. I would not have assumed they have a private lab for testing peppers.

Back in the mid-2000's, Guinness would accept limited samples of chiles for testing and would announce World Record. Then it seemed like there was a new WR every 6 months. Then they implimented grow standards and testing standards requiring multiple plants, maybe multiple fields.

Cant say much about "skirting the truth" other than he got screwed on the Carolina reaper and is holding all access to Pepper X very tight. He is not required to answer anyones question posted on any forum. If you called up KFC headquarters and asked for the recipe for their 11 Herbs and Spices, do you think they would just read 'em off to you? It's called 'proprietary'...

If Puckerbutt hired Winthrop University to do an HPLC test, the results are private.

@spicy.curry....you are correct. People use a given pepper or 9 million extract in their sauce and claim the sauce is 9mil shu. Doesnt work that way....but it is kind of a loosing battle to refute or post an explanation in every FB/instatock post.

Anyway, back to Ed....I feel he is one of very few growers who do things the right way. He doesn't hype before a release. They are not even selling seeds at this point.

Sure is an ugly little thing...yellow/green...

Last edited:
Cant say much about "skirting the truth" other than he got screwed on the Carolina reaper and is holding all access to Pepper X very tight. He is not required to answer anyones question posted on any forum. If you called up KFC headquarters and asked for the recipe for their 11 Herbs and Spices, do you think they would just read 'em off to you? It's called 'proprietary'...

Anyway, back to Ed....I feel he is one of very few growers who do things the right way. He doesn't hype before a release. They are not even selling seeds at this point.

Sure is an ugly little thing...yellow/green...

I'm so sick of this guy that I can't even reply anymore. We've known more about him than this post for a decade and I just have to deal with the fact that this charlatan isn't going anywhere.

Doesn't hype. Okay, Hot Ones was no hype. Ed is a marketing whiz. Pepper scientist he is not.

Good night.

I'm so sick of this guy that I can't even reply anymore. We've known more about him than this post for a decade and I just have to deal with the fact that this charlatan isn't going anywhere.

Doesn't hype. Okay, Hot Ones was no hype. Ed is a marketing whiz. Pepper scientist he is not.

Good night.

Doesn't the fact that he clearly says that the SHU is logorithmic make him look like a fool?

On the Hot Ones video, he says Pepper X is 3 times hotter than the reaper and no one says anything.

I'm not going to get into the game of whether Currie is an honest guy or not. Although everything indicates that no, I don't have enough information to form an opinion about him.
Nor will I comment on the credibility of the shu test: my respect for science makes me think that is true, but my social discontent makes me think that could have been bought.

What I do see is that he moves very well in the marketing pond: he has created mystery, then products that contained the mystery. Now it proves that the mystery is true and it still hasn't released its seeds, so the only way to try Pepper X is by buying their sauces. When the sauce business starts to lose profits, it will be time for Puckerbutt to put Pepper X seeds on sale at the same price as gold.... In my opinion it is a good business strategy.

Last edited:
Back