• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

news Pepper X Officially takes the title

What Troy says. Truth

Attachments

• IMG-20231018-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20231018-WA0006.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 135
I can understand the fuss but the fact is that the majority of the public are not chili heads like us to they don't care what the score is, just that it's the hottest. And if he's put effort into breeding it, then he should trademark the name and maximize his profitability from it. I think he feels that he lost out on a lot of wealth through people being able to grow and sell Carolina Reaper products without paying him his due. So let the man make his money on Pepper X.

I, for one, am very happy with the commonly available bhut/naga jolokia types and have never had the desire to go down the reaper route. With great heat I want flavour as well and you don't always get that.

And if he's put effort into breeding it, then he should trademark the name and maximize his profitability from it.
Yup, and there's 3 live trademarks, one for clothing (merch), one for condiments, and one for preserves which includes puree/mash.

(Apparently I started this yesterday and didn't actually post...)

The quest for the hottest pepper seems pointless to me.
At this point, to me too, especially since IMO they don't taste that great. Also, 2.7M is 17% capsaicin, right? How much capsaicin can a pepper have and still actually grow?
Businesses will take the hottest pepper, and then create various products that contain only a tiny trace of the pepper, and market it as something extreme, even when the final products are milder than a jalapeño.
That's the biggest issue I have too. "New Ghost Fries" or whatever and never have I tasted any heat. Taco Bell's Diablo sauce is hotter than most of those over hyped products.

Vote with your dollars by not buying the seeds or products. Consume peppers that were selectively bred to taste good. If you want it hotter, use more pepper.
yep!

I for one like the Carolina Reaper (for flavor and heat) and couldn't care less about the salesman who is pushing it. I like to think most businessmen like that - while maybe not having all the facts himself - has good, smart people working for him or the "creating" of this new pepper wouldn't have happened. He (or someone who works for him) knows more than I do about that aspect at least. :) I agree and don't buy that it's logarithmic, but I would imagine he is speaking on how each individual reacts to that heat level (think I read somewhere about how tolerance level could be more logarithmic??) But again, not sure I buy into that. Scoville is linear - at least from everything I've always heard/thought. I agree with statements above that you use what tastes good to you - and add more if not hot enough. There are so many different flavors/types to try - it is what makes being a chilihead fun.

I don't want to start any trouble but I don't think Ed would go public with this if it wasn't true. It doesn't make any sense to put something out this totally fake. It would ruin his company instantly if he did that. My point being there was no reason for him to fake anything imho.
The pepper x will never be released.to.the.public, Ed is not really 'releasing' it. It will only go into sauces
So, Ed has written guinness a big fat check for them to verify pepper x.as.the.world record holder. Therefore, it is both their interests to verify it. No record, no check to Guinness

The pepper x will never be released.to.the.public, Ed is not really 'releasing' it. It will only go into sauces
So, Ed has written guinness a big fat check for them to verify pepper x.as.the.world record holder. Therefore, it is both their interests to verify it. No record, no check to Guinness

If he never releases the seeds, then you can count me out on any interest in the pepper.

I read that yesterday.
This sentence particularly interested me:

"He [Ed Currie] says three types of people are interested in superhot chillies: thrill-seekers, hipsters longing to find a fresh trend and addicts in recovery"

So which of you are "thrill-seekers, hipsters or addicts"?

That man has no idea about pepper growers and why we do it. In fact I think I'd like to punch him on the nose.

I read that yesterday.
This sentence particularly interested me:

"He [Ed Currie] says three types of people are interested in superhot chillies: thrill-seekers, hipsters longing to find a fresh trend and addicts in recovery"

So which of you are "thrill-seekers, hipsters or addicts"?

That man has no idea about pepper growers and why we do it. In fact I think I'd like to punch him on the nose.
Maybe fondle his voluptuous 'moobs'.

Back