• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Peppers 2008

Ok, just started this thread to document my progress growing some new varieties of chillies...and maybe get some advice if I run into any trouble.

I have just gotten my Unknown Indian chilli to pre-sprout (Still waiting for my Unknown Thai and Turkish chillies, and also Italian Pepperocine)

Jan2008011.jpg

I am pre-treating my Kashmiri mirch seeds (praying that this seed will germinate cause these look, smell, and taste like the real deal)

Jan2008009.jpg

Also pre-sprouting some of AJ's Wild Tepins....can't wait for these!!!

And this is the weather outside in my neck of the woods....

Jan2008005.jpg

Used to use a combination of warm and cold fluorescent lights (cheap but effective)....but I am trying some of my Ott-Lite lights this year (I have a variety of them I use for my artwork, and I think they'll work well for this also)....just trying a little experiment

Omri said:
Hmmmm... where did you get the Kashmiri? they look like some of the ones I have around here.

I am getting some from a supplier in England and these I got from a spice company....

Whew, I'm glad they look like the real thing...just hope they germinate!

Daisy7117 said:
I am getting some from a supplier in England and these I got from a spice company....

Whew, I'm glad they look like the real thing...just hope they germinate!
Well I don't know if they're the real thing.
They taste like the real thing (if they're anything like mine), but the ones I call Kashmiri look different.
My guess it's the same pepper, just different shape and size.

The ones I speak of, look like this:
kashmiricj9.jpg

If I wasn't clear, I have both kinds.

Well I guess I could send you some pods next time I'll buy some.
Not selling anything, I believe in "spreading the word".

Thanks Omri,
If there's anything you need over here just let me know,...I'm still waiting for some peppers (Ethiopian Thunder, Zimbabwe Birdseye, Guntur Hope (similar to Sanaam), Baby Pepper)...I could send some of these varieties if you like...

Thanks, but I don't need anything. :)
Don't thank me yet, let me get the peppers first, and then send them to you.

PcolaHot said:
Looking good daisy. Your going to get everyone excited to get growing.:lol:

Thanks PcolaHot...I really can't wait for spring to come...seems we get a "dusting" of snow every few days,....great skiing weather.

About the Kashmiri peppers,....I just received them yesterday by mail...and tried to pre-sprout them in a moist paper towel hoping to see something in a week or two...well, just out of curiosity I checked them this morning, and they're sprouting already???...Wow, I'm shocked!!:shocked:

Jan2008_Kasmiripepper.jpg

Success!:onfire: New seedlings just emerged for AJ's Wild Tepins

WildTepin_AJ2008.jpg

and my Kashmiri Chillies

Kashmirichilliseedlings2008.jpg

I have also added Lemon Drop to my Grow List this year.:)

Congratulations on your new babies. I planted my wild tepins on 16 January and they reared their pretty little heads on 23 January.

I can't tell but the seedlings look like they are reaching for the light. This is called "Leggy". If your light source is florescent, you can put your light source closer to them...say one inch above them and it won't hurt the seedlings. Just make sure they are not touching the bulb.

If your light source is not florescent and you are using sun through a window, augment the sunlight with a florescent bulb in the 3000-4100 K range. This is the blue spectrum and is what peppers need for growth.

Thanks AJ,...I was away for a couple of days and when I returned home I found them sprouted...I'm moving them to a better light source immediately...and I'll definitely try the blue spectrum light bulb.
Germination time is about the same for me too, I planted them on Jan. 17th and they must have sprouted on the 24th or 25th....I can't wait to see how they turn out!

Back