• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Peppers 2008

i had a bunch of seeds sprout after one day using the paper towels, its the only slim amount of evidence i have for this way being more effective but then when you put them in the soil they take another day or two to reach the surface so two or three days total isn't outside the realm of possibilities with just sticking them in the dirt so thats why i'm still not convinced its actually faster this way.
as i've said before, the reason this method is good for me is that it calms my impatience and anal retentive need to know exactly what those seeds are doing. glad to see someone else uses the same method tho!

I often pre-germinate too in paper towel or coffee filter. This way you can fill all your cells or pots with sprouts that you know will grow without wasting space with duds and without having to double seed. You also don't need a large germinator, just a small warm place for a few days.

GrumpyBear said:
as i've said before, the reason this method is good for me is that it calms my impatience and anal retentive need to know exactly what those seeds are doing. glad to see someone else uses the same method tho!

POTAWIE said:
I often pre-germinate too in paper towel or coffee filter. This way you can fill all your cells or pots with sprouts that you know will grow without wasting space with duds and without having to double seed. You also don't need a large germinator, just a small warm place for a few days.

This is the first time I've tried pre-sprouting, but I like it...I've gotten good results and I agree that its a good way to determine if seed is viable. I'm also trying this with my tomato seeds....hope I get the same good results!

I often use coffee filters for tomato seeds since they grow right into paper towel and often get damaged when extracting them.

I've never tried in paper towels before, apart from testing germination, but not for putting into soil afterwards. I was concerned the seed would start growing into the paper- like you said with tomato seeds Potawie. I suppose you just have to keep a close eye on them and remove them from the paper as soon as they sprout.

rainbowberry said:
I've never tried in paper towels before, apart from testing germination, but not for putting into soil afterwards. I was concerned the seed would start growing into the paper- like you said with tomato seeds Potawie. I suppose you just have to keep a close eye on them and remove them from the paper as soon as they sprout.

They do grow into the paper towel, but I find that the peppers can be easily lifted and transplanted....the tomato roots seem to have a lot of little "hairs" that really latch onto the towel, so I try to keep a good eye on them and plant them as soon as they sprout.

the 'little hairs' stage is when they get all tangled with the paper towel so i just keep a real close eye on them (did i mention the anal retentiveness...) and just move them to the soil before that happens. i do agree that tomatoes get to the hairy stage quicker then peppers, never thought to use a coffee filter tho (good one).

GrumpyBear said:
the 'little hairs' stage is when they get all tangled with the paper towel so i just keep a real close eye on them (did i mention the anal retentiveness...) and just move them to the soil before that happens. i do agree that tomatoes get to the hairy stage quicker then peppers, never thought to use a coffee filter tho (good one).

Yeah, I think next time I'm going to give the coffee filter a try also.:)

On Saturday I put some seeds in a damp paper towel in the airing cupboard and two days later a lemon Hab has started showing a green bit, seems a bit quick as I've tried many times before with the same batch of seeds in soil and got jack. I put it soil and am praying it lives.

rainbowberry said:
...I've tried many times before with the same batch of seeds in soil and got jack.

So that's where I have been going in my dreams...thought it was kinda humid.....:lol:

Ok, here's my updated garden list/info:
AJ's Wild Tepins-planted 1/17/08, germ: 1/20/08, %germ:80%
Feb2008_WildTepin_AJ.jpg

Kashmiri's are ready for repotting soon:
Feb2008_KashmiriChillies1sttranspla.jpg

Additional chillies I'll be growing this year:
Hungarian Death
Ethiopian Thunder
Zimbabwe Birdseye
Baby Pepper
Gunter Hope
Lemon Drop
Wiri Wiri
Tobago Seasoning
7-Pot
Scorpion

Aside from chillies my tomatoes have all spouted and are looking good (Omar's Lebanese, Amish Rose, Summer Cider, Pink Flamingo, and Ladybug)

Also added to the garden:
Prospero Eggplant (heirloom)
PROSPEROSA.jpg

Violetto Chioggia Artichoke (heirloom)
artichokeviolettochioggia.jpg

[quote name='Brito's Pepper']Yours babies look so beautiful,I hope you have a good development with that living in a place so frozen like that.[/QUOTE]

Thanks,....the weather's not that bad for very long, January-March is rough, but I've got a pretty good growing season....I just start my seedlings a little early.:)

Daisy,

Hi, Daisy I'm a new member here, I've just got that today and I dont know anybody so I'm looking for article like yours just to see how people from others countries take care with their seeds, plants,soil etc. I saw all your posts in this thread.
It was nice to meet you first. thank you and sorry my bad Inglish.

Brito said:
Daisy...not trying to hijack your thread...just wanting to let Brito know that if he looks in the Blog section of the forum, he can see what my plan is for growing peppers this year...

Will post same information on Brito's thread...

Your seedlings look so much healtier than mine Daisy. What type of chilli is Ethiopian Thunder? Is it similar to Ethiopian Brown?

AlabamaJack said:
So that's where I have been going in my dreams...thought it was kinda humid.....:lol:

:lol: :lol:

I don't think its similar to Ethiopian Brown, Ethiopian Thunder is a medium hot, deep red fruity chilly, probably similar to Kashmiri....I am planning some crosses with this variety if everything goes well. Here's the link for a pic and description
http://www.chillifarm.com/chilli_store/seeds.asp

P.S.-the reason for my plants looking so healthy is that I have a sun room, so the seedlings get plenty of natural light

AlabamaJack said:
Daisy...not trying to hijack your thread...just wanting to let Brito know that if he looks in the Blog section of the forum, he can see what my plan is for growing peppers this year...

Will post same information on Brito's thread...

No problem AJ, I'm going to check out your blog too:)

Daisy...I planted 3 4" containers with 2 each....

pic taken yesterday (2/4/08)

Close up

I believe we are going to be in the tepin business....the seedlings look awful fragile...and I have a fan blowing on them a couple of hours a day...

Back