• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PeriPeri's Grow Log 2012: South Africa

Hi All,

So I'll give it another try this year. God knows I love chillies and I would love nothing more than to have a bumper harvest... but I suspect the truth of the matter is I do not have green fingers. In fact, give me a chilli and I will be pretty guaranteed to kill it lol That's not negativity talking, that's reality based on last years experiences lol

Last year it was pots. This year its a farm east of Pretoria, here in South Africa. My reasoning for this madness is pretty much like a hunter hunting with a machine gun... out of the thousand seedlings I plant... I must walk away with something lol (I hope).

So I have a pice of land. Good soil down by a river in the african sun.

The planting area has been divided into two sections. An enclosed area (±40mx40m) with shade netting and an open area (±40mx40m). Water is limited, but there is borehole water.

Outside Area:
outside.jpg

Inside Area:
inside.jpg

Temps this time of the year are in the mid to high 30ºC. It's the rainy season, so there is rain and it comes in buckets and hail-stones!

So here are the pics I took of the inside and outside areas Saturday 6/10/2012. It was 37ºC that day. I have a video as well which I took last Sunday when I started the planting (to come). Luckily we have a cold front at the moment, so since monday it has been overcast, cool and we have rain (magic). I think its about 23/25ºC at the moment. I planted on Sunday (36ºC) early morning (24/25ºC) and late afternoon and pretty much watered for the rest of the day. Didn't look like rain at all... but it's here and could not have come at a better time really!

As you can see I have laid out the beds in rows. Planting is at 45-60cm intervals. I am doing a little experiment also with double planting and single planting. I suspect the yield will be lower with the bushes that have been double planted... but who knows. A different climate... maybe results will show different.

On the grow list:

Bishops Crown
PeriPeri (naturally)
Hotazel
Hot Pixie
Thaibo
Thai Dragon
Baby Belle
Cal Wonder
Yellow Scorpions
ButchT
Black Pearl
Naga Viper
White Hab
Orange Hab
Brown Hab
Red Hab
Big Jim
Long Thai
Cayenne
Cheyenne
Jalapeno
Carolina Reaper
Serrano
Pasilla Bajio
7 Pod
Bhut Jolokia
Naga King
Scotch Bonnet
Hungarian Sweet Wax
Cherry Bomb
Boriya Mirch
Brain Strain
Ring of Fire

Still to come...

Angkor Sunrise
Devils Tongue White
Barrakpore
Douglah
Jonah
JonahxButchT
Primo
Naga Morich
Infinity
Goronong
Devils Tongue Choc
Hab Choc

One or two other... but I can't remember.

First lot I planted on Sunday 7/10/2012.... details will follow...

Over and out for now!

PeriPeri

Thanks Stickman!

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1736.jpg

Gotta love them Bishops and Hot Pixies. Still have no idea if they are different types or one and the same?

First signs of colour in the Big Jims :)

IMG_1735.jpg

Still no colour in that Cherry Bomb, but just loving that plant... can't wait to try one!

IMG_1723.jpg

Ok, now the Cherry Bomb looks like one of those that might be difficult to break off by hand. Looks like I'm going to need a chainsaw for those pods lol

As for the Habs... they are going ballistic... and a wee bit of colour showing. Never seen so many chillies on a small plant lol

IMG_1721.jpg

IMG_1719.jpg

Ring of Fire seems to be a good producer...

IMG_1720.jpg

Nice looking pics as always Lourens! Shame about the critter nibbles on some of the pods... if you don't mind sacrificing some of your hot pepper powder, you could pour it on the ground around the affected plants to deter the critters, or use it to infuse some cheap vegetable oil, make an emulsion and spray it directly on the peppers. That might also work for the Monkeys. Cheers

Tabascos loving it... quite a few plants outside and in inside area like this...

IMG_1718.jpg

Nice looking pics as always Lourens! Shame about the critter nibbles on some of the pods... if you don't mind sacrificing some of your hot pepper powder, you could pour it on the ground around the affected plants to deter the critters, or use it to infuse some cheap vegetable oil, make an emulsion and spray it directly on the peppers. That might also work for the Monkeys. Cheers
This is a great idea Stickman, I think this may well be the way to go!

IMG_1717.jpg

Serranos seem to be good producers... never tried them, looking forward to it!

Pasilla Bajio's less productive but looking good none the less for the few pods they do have...

IMG_1716.jpg

IMG_1628.jpg

More flowers, more leaves... more pods all the time!

IMG_1630.jpg

Give me some colour now damn it! lol

IMG_1631.jpg

Baby Belle / Pimento's... still can't quite decide on what they are. I think they may be pimentos? Turn red in the end. Heart shaped... about 500 - 1000 SHU loads of seeds inside?

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

So these are the lastest additions to the inside area...

IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

Stickman, these pics were taken before I put the sticks next to the stems... but I wasn't going to run the risk with these special plants.

Thanks to Conor for the Cabe Merah!

Man Lourens!
I don't know what you have for soil, but I want it! You're getting some huge plants and peppers. Keep up the good work!

Man Lourens!
I don't know what you have for soil, but I want it! You're getting some huge plants and peppers. Keep up the good work!
Thanks Stickman. It's a funny kinda soil. Some things grow, others don't. But I was told from the onset that Peppers have always done well... and it looks like it! The soil is difficult to water... but once wet it gets glaggy... sticks to the bottom of shoes like crazy. I guess that must be the clay content... but I think being in a valleyt next to the river makes this soil probably just very rich in nutrient... whatever it is I like it!

How about I send you soil bit by bit in envelopes? :)

IMG_1651.jpg

Thanks to Conor for the Douglah x Red.

IMG_1652.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

Yup, it's probably got a lot of clay, but it also looks like it has quite a bit of sand and pebbles mixed in as well, so it opens up the pore size in the soil and it's well aerated. By the color, you have a lot of humus in the soil as well. My Mom's garden has a lot of clay too, but she's been adding composted manure and other humus every year for the last fifty years, and she gets results like yours.

Lourens, great updates and pics :) got to tell you, you've now reminded me I have to repot my serano and I wanted to go canoeing and drink rum in de coconut today ... maybe I do both, lol.

Wow! Just the one Habanero plant has 46 pods on it. Looks like you're gonna be reaping for some time to come.
What is the average pod yield per plant per season may I ask?
Hey Caroline, welcome. Yield is usually enough to melt a small vilage in Kazakhstan.

Yup, it's probably got a lot of clay, but it also looks like it has quite a bit of sand and pebbles mixed in as well, so it opens up the pore size in the soil and it's well aerated. By the color, you have a lot of humus in the soil as well. My Mom's garden has a lot of clay too, but she's been adding composted manure and other humus every year for the last fifty years, and she gets results like yours.
I love Humus... isn't that what Israelies put on their bread? :)

Lourens, great updates and pics :) got to tell you, you've now reminded me I have to repot my serano and I wanted to go canoeing and drink rum in de coconut today ... maybe I do both, lol.
Thanks man! You could try going canoeing in a cocnut and drinking rum in a Serrano, but it doesn't sound as much fun :)

IMG_1656.jpg

IMG_1657.jpg

Looking forward to this baby... looks like pods are going to come soon!

All the rain in the last few days has made some of the plants go a wee bit yellow.... but its all blue skies and sunshine today again!

IMG_1658.jpg

IMG_1659.jpg

Black Pearl still going strong...

IMG_1661.jpg

This is my corner with all the Black Pearls and Purple Tigers (Courtesey of Connor)...

IMG_1663.jpg

IMG_1665.jpg

Looking forward to that Bahamian Goat Pepper... sounds intriguing...

IMG_1666.jpg

Brown Habanero's starting to pod there...

IMG_1668.jpg

Red Habaneros also getting pods, but looking a little more elongated than I would have imagine? hmmm....

IMG_1669.jpg

Fatalii is 350 - 450K SHU and Cheyenne is about 30 - 50K...

IMG_1701.jpg

I could have sworn there was only one pod on this plant last week... lol

IMG_1705.jpg

Naga Kings getting quite big now... I just love these pods... tasty tasty tasty!

IMG_1706.jpg

7 Pods going well...

Thaibos making lots of colour!

IMG_1708.jpg

Caroline, this one's for you ;)

IMG_1714.jpg

The Phui Jyoti is getting pods. Don't know this one at all. Looks like string like pods...

IMG_1724.jpg

White Habanero branching out... but no signs of flowers or pods yet...

IMG_1726.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

Man, things are going off on farm PeriPeri! Too many varieties to comment individually, but most everything looks awesome. That Ignite is funny in an awesome way. Sorry to see the carnage on the Big Jims. Those snails are massive!

Back