• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Picklese...You Have To Try This!!!

I just made 2 batches of this. Amazing.
It was recommended to me by a Haitian friend of mine.
The idea is to keep replenishing the same jar as contents get low.
Have to keep everything under the vinegar. Enjoy.

Picklese
Pikliz - Vinaigre Piquant

by Mirta Yurnet-Thomas

Pikliz, or pickled scotch bonnet peppers, is used to give flavor to many dishes.
It is also placed on the table at mealtime so that you can sprinkle as much as you want over your food. Every Haitian kitchen has pikliz in the cupboard or refrigerator.

Yield: Makes 1 quart

Ingredients:

6 Scotch bonnet peppers
2 cups thinly sliced or shredded cabbage
½ cup thinly sliced or shredded carrots
¼ cup thinly sliced or shredded onion
¼ cup green peas (frozen)
4 whole cloves
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
8 to 10 peppercorns (optional)
3 cups vinegar
Method:
Snip off the stem of the peppers, cut each into 4 pieces, and keep the seeds.
Place hot peppers, cabbage, carrots, onion, green peas, cloves, salt, and peppercorns in a quart-size jar, then add the vinegar.
Close jar tightly and let sit at least 24-48 hours before using. Once you commence using it, store in the refrigerator.
It lasts for months.

Funny I haven't seen this post before... Gonna have to make some, and i have a small sb Yellow, with a half dozen pods or so I started earlier for planting out this year...Wife has shreaded cabbage at her work...ezpz...

Just started a batch. But, I used habaneros, red onion and purple cabbage and put some garlic in there too... And a couple Brussels sprouts just to see what they would taste like. The whole thing is turning pink. :). Can't wait to taste it!!!

I have used garlic, purple cabbage and red onions and they turn out fantastic! I like to mix the green and purple cabbage.
Let us know how the brussels sprouts turn out!
Remember, you just throw a handful of whatever's low back into the jar. It should always be somewhat full.

Here is my attempt. forgot to get peas though.
Hotpeppers003.jpg

YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's gonna be awesome. Give it a few days. You missed the peas, but you can always add those (get a frozen bag next time at the grocery store)

Post a review!

Yeah, there's something about the peas. Do what FD suggested, cuz they do add something, I just don't know what....
Brussell sprouts sound good in there, have to go there myself!

So I tried my picklese tonight.
Not too hot with the orange habs that I used. I really liked the cabbage and the carrots. Reminded me of a hot vinegar coleslaw. Next time I might do a 3-1 vinegar to water to tone it down a bit. Also I think it needs to be whizzed up in the food processer for easier application to food. Need to put the peas in it as well as I love peas.
By the way, my dad who does not care for hot said it was really good with just the right amount of kick.

All in all this will be kept in rotation. Cant wait to put it on a hot dog or bratwurst

Joe, you won't regret it!!!
Take pics and show us!
Don't miss out on the onions and peas.
Throw whatever peppers you want!! (but mind you, it's a Caribbean condiment at heart, but it will forgive you if you stray from scotch bonnet).

I just made two batches split between four pint-sized mason jars, two jars filled with vinegar per the original recipe, two jars filled with 3.5% brine and whey which will be fermented for a couple weeks.

Has anybody tried fermenting this yet? The ingredients scream for fermentation.

I haven't figured out how to attach pics yet so I will have to come back to that

Wecome Zara!! Go introduce yourself on the forum!

I think Rocketman has fermented some, not 100% sure on that, though. Let us know how it turns out!
The problem is that it tastes so good just the way it is, it's hard to wait!

I made some of this today, one jar for home and one for the office. Added some garlic cloves, didn't have Scotch Bonnets so I substituted orange Habs. Can't wait for Monday to try it!

IMG0063-L.jpg

Crunchy, crispy goodness! I put some on my Tofurky Kielbasa at lunch and it was great. Kind of a "fresh" kraut if you will. Smooth flavor, surprisingly not too vinegary. The cloves add a nice sweetness and the habs a good amount of heat. I imagine the heat will come up a bit more as it ages. I also had some by itself this afternoon for a snack.

Back