• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Pineapple Mango Habanero Sauce

So tonight was taco night at our place. I love taco night. My first sauce that I tried to make came out more like a puree smoothie. Lol. Not so good at all. Quite bad actually.

So this time I tried it a little different. Maybe the experts can give some advice along the way to.

I started out with the following list...

Two cans of mango nectar.
Quarter cup of pineapple juice.
One cups brown sugar.
Half cup of soy sauce.
Two cups apple cider vinegar.
One table spoon of Cumin powder.
One table spoon of habanero powder.
Fours table spoons of corn starch.

I brought it to a boil over medium heat, then simmered for about 45 minutes or so.

I used the corn starch to thicken it up a bit. It actually poured quite well out of the bottle but was thick enough to not run all over the place.

For the next round I plan on the following changes.

No soy sauce. It was good in this but I think it over powered the mango. Aldo turned it BBQ brown.
No brown sugar.

Has anyone ordered bottles from pepper mania?

How was the service?

I would like to try and bottle some of this when I get the recipe more to my liking. Do the bottles self seal when pouring the hot sauce from the stove into the bottle? Also about the test strips. To use em you just stick em in the sauce and match up the color right and as long as it 4.0 or less you don't need to keep it cold right?

Thanks for the advice. I do appreciate it!

MH, you have the right ingredients except for the hab powder. Here's the fix. Change everything to as fresh as possible. Next, go search some of the hab pineapple/pina threads/posts and make them your own. Habanero/pineapple/mango recipe's can vary a bit but hard to go wrong. You have most of the basics, just need some serious tweeks. Buenos suerte' and welcome hombre'.

If you are very concerned about the consistency and using fresh peppers, you can run the sauce through a mesh strainer to separate the seeds and pulp from the rest of the sauce. I for one though prefer a thicker sauce and usually don't bother. You can still get a decently-smooth finished product just by cooking it down for a while and processing again.

Thanks for all the advise guys, I do appreciate it. I deep fryer some wings on Saturday and tried out the sauce. I was pretty happy with the results.

IMG_20110312_203651.jpg

Wow. Those wings look killer! I'm on my last jar of hab/pineapple (based on TB's recipe) and I'm thinking hab/mango sounds pretty good.

Friend of mine thinks we should bottle the hab/pineapple and sell it at farmers markets. He loves the stuff.

Mango, pineapple, habs are one of my favorite sauces. I prefer them over red sauces to be honest because the sweet / spicey profile. Yours looks right on!

Back