• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun Plant sunburn or nitrogen deficiency help

You could probably stretch the hardening off process out to two weeks, and that would get you to Mother's Day anyway ;) Provided that the issue is indeed sunburn (Again, that's just my guess)

I hear you about the crazy weather up here though. I wouldn't be shocked we got another dusting of snow, haha

Makes sense I will start it I guess any thoughts on if this is anything besides sunburn? If so what nutrients would you guys think would correct this (pending PH testing)?

rstiv4200 said:
Makes sense I will start it I guess any thoughts on if this is anything besides sunburn? If so what nutrients would you guys think would correct this (pending PH testing)?

No, don't do any nutrient correction right now...  You must not get twitchy, at this point.  Test your PH, rule out the lighting, and my best general advice - mirror somebody's known grow in your general region, under similar conditions - Glogs are great for this - and get 1 successful grow in through imitation, before trying to intuitively make corrections.  Unfortunately, plant science tends to be anything but intuitive.

Did you start this plant indoor?
I use 4 t8 fluorescent bulbs with a total of 13000 lumens. Its really all you need to start plants. My plants are 12inches away from the bulb and it doesnt expell any heat from the bulb that is worrying.
Give it a feeding and light.Also epsom salts shouldn't be a regular feeding(only my opinion),i do give plants epsom but only say twice in their life.

Rest of the time i'm using fish emulsion and not too strong. Fish emulsion can burn plants real bad if its mixed too strong. amd kill them.

I did start it inside in a window as a seedling and then moved it under the T5 setup. It has been getting darker as it grows larger weird really. Also I don't think I over feed I only do 1table spoon of fish emulsion in a gallon of water and feed ever 2 weeks.

Gonzo said:
Did you start this plant indoor?
I use 4 t8 fluorescent bulbs with a total of 13000 lumens. Its really all you need to start plants. My plants are 12inches away from the bulb and it doesnt expell any heat from the bulb that is worrying.
Give it a feeding and light.Also epsom salts shouldn't be a regular feeding(only my opinion),i do give plants epsom but only say twice in their life.

Rest of the time i'm using fish emulsion and not too strong. Fish emulsion can burn plants real bad if its mixed too strong. amd kill them.

This is a genetic issue and is not a problem
It's perfectly healthy

Purple leaves are a recessive gene that sometimes appear. I also have a plant with purple leaves and it is very much healthy. The new leaves start out green then turn to purple as they get larger

Really that's so strange but good to hear if that is the case.

Powelly said:
This is a genetic issue and is not a problem
It's perfectly healthy

Purple leaves are a recessive gene that sometimes appear. I also have a plant with purple leaves and it is very much healthy. The new leaves start out green then turn to purple as they get larger

I was thinking of trying some CalMag if it doesn't change just to see is that what you think would be good?

Greenguru said:
Magnesium and other trace minerals what I would do

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

New seedlings can a have purple stem,which is very common when growing under lights,just thought i might add that.

Yes every single one of my seedlings (around 40) have purple stems including this plant that is why I was thinking it is normal and just from the light.

Gonzo said:
New seedlings can a have purple stem,which is very common when growing under lights,just thought i might add that.

rstiv4200 said:
I was thinking of trying some CalMag if it doesn't change just to see is that what you think would be good?

Personally, I think it's a very bad practice to "fiddle" with your plants, on a whim.  If you have little to no experience with nutrient adjustment, it's almost guaranteed that you won't get it right. (no offense, it's happened to most of us at least once, if we're being honest)
The best thing to do, is figure out what the basic parameters are, and then just ensure that you are giving the plant everything that it needs ALL AT ONCE.  You can always implement ninja level/expert mode, once you have the knowledge and experience.  But for now, as long as your plant is growing and otherwise healthy, it may be better to stay the course.  If you're doing the same thing for all of your plants, and only one is affected - but is otherwise just as nice as the others - it might be better to be a little patient, and do nothing.

rstiv4200 said:
Yes every single one of my seedlings (around 40) have purple stems including this plant that is why I was thinking it is normal and just from the light.

Didn't see this when I was posting the last, but it is starting to sound like a light issue. 

I agree with your above post I am a new grower and this is my first season and dont want to be one of those "over take care of my plant" people haha so I wanted to try and hold off and let it takes its course like you said. 

But yes they all have dark purple stems but the leaf color is a nice green on the rest here is a pic of 2 other seedlings under the same light.

IMG_0006_zps43hzxm4r.jpg

solid7 said:

Didn't see this when I was posting the last, but it is starting to sound like a light issue. 

rstiv4200 said:
I agree with your above post I am a new grower and this is my first season and dont want to be one of those "over take care of my plant" people haha so I wanted to try and hold off and let it takes its course like you said. 

But yes they all have dark purple stems but the leaf color is a nice green on the rest here is a pic of 2 other seedlings under the same light.

I don't think it is a light issues,what spectrum is it? Can you give the details of the bulb. It's t5 HO it should be the right one.

Your other seedlings look fine? It's just this one plant,so continue to water your seedlings with a diluted fish emulsion.

Edit: I just read you have 8(4ft) bulbs in there. I only use 4(t8) 3250 lumens and they work just fine,If your seedlings are having some more "burn" issue
i suggest removing 4 bulbs and see how that goes.

Just remember strong fish emulsion mix can burn your plant also,so try eliminating your problems with this info.

They are 6400K T5HO Tubes so i dont think that would be it right? Yes I am doing all the same things to all of them so Im curious if they will start to get dark too.
Gonzo said:
I don't think it is a light issues,what spectrum is it? Can you give the details of the bulb. It's t5 HO it should be the right one.

Your other seedlings look fine? It's just this one plant,so continue to water your seedlings with a diluted fish emulsion.

Gonzo said:
Just remember strong fish emulsion mix can burn your plant also,so try eliminating your problems with this info.

This is not the likely culprit.  The plant has no symptoms of nutrient "burn". (root dessication, more appropriately)

To put your mind at ease, OP... I once accidentally spilled almost a half jug of the stuff in a 10 gallon pot, and although I had a huge aphid infestation after that on just that plant (WTH?) it didn't harm the plant.

I would say these are older then seedlings if you figure the purple could be plant characteristics and the yellowing of the leaves could be nitrogen could be magnesium could be just about anything the grower just has to use a process of elimination that is the way I have done it in the past after making your decision your next set of leaves will tell the story how I was in situation that I would plant and they would be under the lights and all I would do is give them water and then when the leaves start changing colors I realize oops they need food then the leaves were still kind of yellow and I gave them magnesium and it cleared up on the following set of leaves but I did a process of elimination to figure where I went wrong that was what worked for me happy happy happy growing fun fun fun

Another note with my light set up I can almost go directly into the sun after just few hours in a shaded area for few hours. Of course some of the more delicate plants I would actually keep them in the shade for a day or two but my hot peppers and Mild peppers squash Tomatoes they pretty much go straight into the sun after just an hour or so in the shade on my deck

Yeah i hear you I guess that is the only way you learn haha. I am probably going to wait it out as people said it is overall healthy looking for the most part.

Interesting I was thinking that myself that the hardening off process would be shorter since it is getting about 16hrs light (artificial) now so was thinking hardening them off would be somewhat quicker than say starting on a windowsill or basic 80W light or something.

Greenguru said:
Another note with my light set up I can almost go directly into the sun after just few hours in a shaded area for few hours. Of course some of the more delicate plants I would actually keep them in the shade for a day or two but my hot peppers and Mild peppers squash Tomatoes they pretty much go straight into the sun after just an hour or so in the shade on my deck

Back