• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Please pray

I do not usually like to post about personal painful subjects on public forums. This one is important.

sammie.jpg

This is my godchild, Sammie. This picture was taken less than a month ago. She is twenty-two. In January they discovered that she has Ewings Sarcoma, a rare cancer, all the more rare in her case because it usually strikes individuals under the age of 20. It starts in the spinal column, and metastisizes quickly.

She has responded very well to treatments to date. Her doctor is one of the top in the country for dealing with this cancer, and they have treated it aggressively. She had responded quite well to treatments, even when it metastisized they acted quickly and her recovery was faster and better than expected. The week after this picture was taken, it seemed she was not doing as well. Chemo is not working anymore and they were set for radiation when she came down with pneumonia.

I know that prayers and even positive thoughts of atheists make a difference.

Please look at this picture and pray her as well as she looks here. Breathe, and imagine her breathing deeply and freely on her own.

I dont need any feedback. If this is not your thing, please move along. If you'd like to know more, my facebook site is my name, Celeste Webster.

Thank you for all your positive thoughts!

Adding a reply in order to bump this to the top of the list.. its more important then the "Wheres Kaiser" thread.

Celeste, my family and I will keep Sammie in our thoughts and prayers, we wish her the best.

Sammie's condition has improved slightly. It is now 72 hours since she went critical. They are using sentences like "When she comes off the breathing machine" (instead of 'if') and "lots of options". She is still in ICU and we have a long way to go. This girl is a fighter. The tumors that she had in her lungs in February were eradicated by chemo alone (and her own incredible body) in such a manner that the ICU staff thought they were looking at radiation scars (on the x-rays). The damage left behind weakened her lungs however. Antibiotics continue for the pneumonia, chemo will be administered again soon for the cancer in her bronchials (and who knows where else).

It seems that this sarcoma is such a large thing that she's fighting. The Doctors say that she is a very special person in the way that she has dealt with this. I look at the picture I have posted above and that to me represents Sammie with clear lungs. Please continue to pray. Sammie needs to breathe freely, on her own without the aid of machines.

prayers for her from us also
Ann

Thank you friends, your prayers are helping, I'm sure we couldnt have made it without you.

Sammie is already considered a miracle at this hospital. Wednesday,after being informed of the risks, the parents agreed to add a 5th tube to the 4 in her lungs to remove the gunk from the pneumonia. During the procedure an artery was nicked- It was a wild ride to the ER. She is now known to the entire hospital staff (and this is a big huge hospital) as "the girl with 4 tubes in her chest who used up all the blood in the hospital and is still alive". 40 units, 5 peoples worth. They left her "open" for about 24 hours. yesterday I as there while they did the surgery to: remove the internal dressing, make sure the bleeding had stopped, restart the lung, and close her back up. Everything went really well. All of her monitors have good stats (including brain wave).

The doctors had a conference with us and told us these are the priorties:
A) Make sure the bleeding has stopped. They will be monitoring her to make sure all of the places they cut and stitched are in fact closing.

B) Infection. She was already on antibiotics, but in such an emergency (she was rushed from the ICU to the ER) They've got her on I think just about every kind of antibiotic available.

C) you might remember this one- work toward getting her breathing on her own again. The machine that saved her life last week is called an oscillator, but she must be kept paralyzed and therefore unconscious to use it. The goal is to switch her to a ventilator and then I think she could be awake again, A trachaeostomy is a possibility, it would make her more comfortable than having tubes through her mouth down her throat.

Her parents and extended family are amazing, most of them have been at the hospital every day. Her mother asked to thank you for your prayers and let them know that they are helping, they can feel this and they are sure she would not be here without them. Keep them coming!

OH, and if you can, please give blood. every time you do, you save a life.

Her right lung is currently not functioning, and inoperable. I dont have more information, got this from an e-mail. Pray, oh pray, that this bright light does not go out.

Wow and my thoughts and prayers are with you and sammie !Just saw the thread but will watch.Take care and know that a whole bunch out here are there for her. Rich

Back