• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Pork booty

Got a bit of a late start, but I'm confident that I have enough PBR to see it through.

Pork booty rubbed with yellow mustard, a shit-ton of garlic powder and some Tony Chaceres. At about the midway point I slide it out (TWSS) and rub some dark brown sugar on. Bowl of apple cider in there for moisture.

kO61IML.jpg

2qBmeWF.jpg

My current ghetto setup - all converted to charcoal.

wiRU76o.jpg

Le sigh.

Had to move everything inside as we're now having fairly intense storms rolling in and The Woman will be somewhat displeased if I continue tending the smoker amidst the lightning. :lol:

I've stuck it out a half-dozen times when it wasn't necessary ... so, I'm even MORE INTERESTED to see how it comes out in the end after some oven love.

I don't think I'm ever rebuilding a fire for a piece of meat that's made it at least to the stall again ... not after the last time it happened, a 4-5 hr stall!

grantmichaels said:
I've stuck it out a half-dozen times when it wasn't necessary ... so, I'm even MORE INTERESTED to see how it comes out in the end after some oven love.

I don't think I'm ever rebuilding a fire for a piece of meat that's made it at least to the stall again ... not after the last time it happened, a 4-5 hr stall!
I have as well, so I'm familiar with the consequences of angering The Woman by doing so.

This thing has petered out at 144 for some reason, despite temp fluctuations of 10 degrees, max. Finishing the ribs (now lovingly slathered in a secret BBQ sauce mix. Okay, Sweet Baby Ray's, but don't tell a soul. It's all I had on hand) and the booty in the oven at a leisurely 210.

Pics when able.

So we couldn't wait and dove into the not-quite-100%-done-to-my-liking ribs. Not bad, but not... ready. Booty still working along with another pan of ribs.

DkaU8uS.jpg

hey I have that exact same probe thermo...  plus few others. lol..  I wonder if I am the only one that has more than GM..   

My Woman would probably  be more Angered by my abandoning the Q..   I have literally Q'd  in a blizzard. - 40 C , many T storms ( one that actually turned out to have a twister that touched down about 20 k north of here).  thawing  freezing rain off the hinges of a Q before I could light it  is something I don't miss now that I have a kettle . 

If I make excuses now , I get told to "Suck it up Buttercup"..   lmao 

Very nice looking  pork booty btw. 

Ashen said:
hey I have that exact same probe thermo...  plus few others. lol..  I wonder if I am the only one that has more than GM..   

My Woman would probably  be more Angered by my abandoning the Q..   I have literally Q'd  in a blizzard. - 40 C , many T storms ( one that actually turned out to have a twister that touched down about 20 k north of here).

Booma has more than me, for sure! I've seen a pic on FB where he's running individuals probes to each item on his bigger grill! =)

I have 3x w/ 4x probes, but I only have the 3rd because one was stuck on pre-order and my original one broke, and put me in a jam on a piece of meat that cost as much as a probe ...

The worst part, is that I mostly only use the Maverick Oven Probe because I'm lazy.

three probes, two wireless  one wired  plus one polder I have never gotten around to seeing if I can fix.   three digital instant reads, .   infra red laser , plus an assortment of mechanicals.   I pretty much only use the thermapen on a regular basis though.   My Wife gives me the stink eye every time I lay a finger on a thermo at a store.. lol 

Ashen said:
I have a couple of 'em. Cheap Chinese crap, but has been fairly reliable. I have a couple others, but this is the one that gets used.

My Woman would probably  be more Angered by my abandoning the Q..   I have literally Q'd  in a blizzard. - 40 C , many T storms ( one that actually turned out to have a twister that touched down about 20 k north of here).  thawing  freezing rain off the hinges of a Q before I could light it  is something I don't miss now that I have a kettle . 

I like her already. :lol:

I would, quite literally, run the smoker on top of our TV antenna during a lightning storm if needed and "allowed," but I've learned that it's simply not (usually) worth it. She doesn't argue well.

Thanks!

Back