• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Pork Shoulder Roast

Up close shot of that crispy skin goodness. Top piece had a big chunk of Fat still attached probably why it wasn’t eaten. Next time I will cut squares in the skin before cooking so that it can be removed in nice neat pieces.
20141127_164203_zps362gsxuj.jpg

Pfeffer said:
Cutting cubes in the skin also makes your meat better (rub hardly penetrates the skin bark). But it sure looks nice!
Oh yeah that reminds me, separate the skin from the better portion of meat to marinate underneath. I did that after taking the first pic and forgot to mention. Thanks Pfeffer

No need to inject that piece of pork loaded with good fat will keep it moist and tender I never inject pork unless competing! And only to get a strong punch of flavor for judges :) at home you just season and cook.
To many cooks inject products that don't need it. I think this is due to televised Bbq competition.
Comp cooks need the judge to remember their product so you need to punch them with that strong flavor profile.
Their only tasting a little so you have to make a statement with extremely bold flavours.
But at home will overpower your meats natural flavor. Marinating is the technique I would use.
That finished product looks amazing and definitely benefits the cook for using it for leftovers :)
Not saying injecting is wrong! Just not necessary. Just my two cents.
Killer job Grass Snake!!!!!!

Grass Snake said:
Thanks oldsalty! I know few people that inject beef or pork. Whats your thoughts on injecting poultry?
For whole birds I like it better than brining. I find that people tend to over brine producing chicken that rubbery. While injecting in this case can produce a very flavorful finished product.
But myself if smoking I prefer a good rub. Grilling marinated or injected. But again I think injecting should be left for comps on most cuts. Especially pork or beef. They just don't need it. Brother your stuff like killer!! Ya know what they say " if it ain't broke don't fix it" :)

You can use it for a load of different methods. You can brine your meat (don't really think that is necessary if you have quality meat). Different breds of pork have different types of fat, meat and skin. If you have a leaner pig, inject with light brine to flavor the meat and keep it from drying out. Personally I do an inject with some spice mixture and rapsöl, a little egg yolk and water (no idea what it is in English, Canola maybe?) to keep it fluid. You need to yolk to emulgate the grease with the water.. Put it in the blender with your usual rub and inject very small portions on it through the skin in the underlaying fat layer. It will melt away in the fat without seperating your nice bark from the meat, protecting it from drying out.

I don't really eat much poultry, except for a few beer can chickens that lost their way.. Check out the bbq and grill section of the forum : -) it's better than hanging out with all the vegetarians in these parts of the forum (just joking).. But I bet that you can flavour up some poultry with the use of a syringe.

The largest cons of syringes are people that overreact when using it and spray up meat with tons of flavouring. It's like coating a Buffalo wing in a one inch layer of barbecue sauce.. it's just to much.

I personally prefer disposable medical syringes after I found out they are actually incredibally cheap. As you use oils and fats with them, they can be a pain in the ass to thoroughly clean afterwards (toothbrush with your usual dishwashing detergent will work well).. Large syringes with a wide needle will cost you about 1 euro here. Just throw them away and get a new one. Smaller ones are far cheaper, a 20ml plastic one of which you cut the tip of diagonally will work well for skin injecting as well (costs about 10 cents).

And oldsalty.. Always cook if you're competing :drooling:

Pfeffer said:
You can use it for a load of different methods. You can brine your meat (don't really think that is necessary if you have quality meat). Different breds of pork have different types of fat, meat and skin. If you have a leaner pig, inject with light brine to flavor the meat and keep it from drying out. Personally I do an inject with some spice mixture and rapsöl, a little egg yolk and water (no idea what it is in English, Canola maybe?) to keep it fluid. You need to yolk to emulgate the grease with the water.. Put it in the blender with your usual rub and inject very small portions on it through the skin in the underlaying fat layer. It will melt away in the fat without seperating your nice bark from the meat, protecting it from drying out.

I don't really eat much poultry, except for a few beer can chickens that lost their way.. Check out the bbq and grill section of the forum : -) it's better than hanging out with all the vegetarians in these parts of the forum (just joking).. But I bet that you can flavour up some poultry with the use of a syringe.

The largest cons of syringes are people that overreact when using it and spray up meat with tons of flavouring. It's like coating a Buffalo wing in a one inch layer of barbecue sauce.. it's just to much.

I personally prefer disposable medical syringes after I found out they are actually incredibally cheap. As you use oils and fats with them, they can be a pain in the ass to thoroughly clean afterwards (toothbrush with your usual dishwashing detergent will work well).. Large syringes with a wide needle will cost you about 1 euro here. Just throw them away and get a new one. Smaller ones are far cheaper, a 20ml plastic one of which you cut the tip of diagonally will work well for skin injecting as well (costs about 10 cents).

And oldsalty.. Always cook if you're competing :drooling:
Haha yup!

LOL.. I'm afraid you just made a very pedophile post just now.. It's Pfeffer without the "i" (Pfeffer = pepper, Pfeiffe = whistle, Pfeiffer is slang for a pedophile/child abducter..) together with the Eddie's father vid.. well.. ehh.. hahaha.. Almost spit my beer over my keyboard.

Don't worry guys.. I dig legal age women.. I really do..

Pfeffer said:
LOL.. I'm afraid you just made a very pedophile post just now.. It's Pfeffer without the "i" (Pfeffer = pepper, Pfeiffe = whistle, Pfeiffer is slang for a pedophile/child abducter..) together with the Eddie's father vid.. well.. ehh.. hahaha.. Almost spit my beer over my keyboard.

Don't worry guys.. I dig legal age women.. I really do..
Haha haha haha :)
Oops sorry brother think my spell check took over lol
Don't know if you've ever heard of Eddie's father was very popular when I was younger! :)
To funny at least it made you laugh :)

Back