• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Powder as a rub?

I've just made my first chili powder, put about 3 dozen numex in the pestle and mortar (been drying out in the airing cupboard for a few weeks) and ground them up. Made the mistake of licking the mortar, which was somewhat hot (yes, I know, I'm a wimp)

anyway.... powder... I'm going to add some to meals, etc, that's all good. But how do you guys use it? Rub it into a steak before BBQing? That kind of thing?

Going to take some into work as well for people to dab ;)

I usually just coat the meat and BBQ. You can also rub it in as well. If I have a dry rub that IS NOT completely peppers, that's when I'll rub it in.

Here's a rub that I'm using right now on a beef bottom round roast being smoked in mesquite wood:

-2-1/2 c Big Jim Numex powder
-1 c hungarian hot paprika
-1/4 c garlic powder
-1/4 c onion powder
-1/2 c mexican oregano, powdered
-3/8 c cumin powder
-1/2 c salt
-1/4 c black pepper
-1/4 c white pepper

This is great on any beef, roasted, smoked, or grilled. I adjust the amounts from time to time, but this is the basic mix I use. You can add sugar and/or brown sugar for a great rib rub. For a little extra heat, add some chiltecpin or pequin powder, to be consistent with the flavors.

brookthecook

Shooty* said:
But how do you guys use it? Rub it into a steak before BBQing? That kind of thing?
Depends on what you are cooking. Rub it into pourous meats. For steak, yes, rub it in. On chicken, just coat it. If you rub it you'll just be moving it around the skin.

You should definitely use it any time a recipe calls for cayenne! your fresh powder will be better than anything store bought.'I also recommend getting a food dehydrator. It eliminates the chance of mold as chiles dry and is way faster. It can also be used to make jerky. Take care!

cheezydemon said:
I also recommend getting a food dehydrator.

Next to my microwave, this may be the best piece of electonics I have in the kitchen, especially during the fall! The one I have only holds six trays - I'm thinking of adding another six.

Mike

Back