• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Powder or Sauce ?

SmokenFire said:

For certain blends yes.  Others are all chilli powder.  Some are a lil sweet.  Others are savory.  Lots of tricks up mah sleeve brotha ;)
The reason I asked was I'm ordering a lb of cumin seeds and also I grow 2 types of oregano and might add a 3rd this year. So I might give this blending a try lol.

I'll throw in another thing to the mix--- chile puree, specifically Alabama Jack's recipe.

Which is often used like powders in soups, gravy, sauces, curry, alfredo.....MMmmmmmm! 

In the winter, when working on cooooold jobsites, I like to make a thermos of broth with a pea-size spot of pepper puree.  Fatalii puree in beef or chicken broth is PERFECT!  Chile powder also works well in broth.  At the time I started taking the broth to work, I didn't have any fatalii powder so I used fatalii puree instead!  WOW!  Drink a bit of broth and it warms everything up and gets me back to work.  Plus the vitamin C to keep healthy~~~ :)

And there's capsaicin which you can add to your cook via Pure Evil. ;)

Good to kick up the heat whislt not adulterating flavor. Great for soups, stews, sauces.

YEEEP!  That too~  ;) 

xoxo

JoynersHotPeppers said:
2016 the year of the flakes :)
Yes! The smoked Baccatum flakes I made are sooo good. They take pizza and pasta to the next level. I'm growing my Thais this year so I can get another milder pepper to make flakes with.

But, like most others, I like the powders to add heat without changing the flavor. But I still use a ton of sauces. Some dishes are just meant to have sauce. Like Cajun food. I have a tobasco like sauce that I use religiously on my gumbo and jambalaya. It just doesn't taste right to me without it.

The purée is also fantastic for different meals. You get more pepper flavor, with the heat. Soups are Bloody Mary's are my purée go to's.

Little late to the party here but I use crushed habanero flakes most of the time. I got them from MoHotta MoBetta. They also make a habanero power that I really like.They add heat without altering flavor, and lots of times that is what I am going for. Sauce has its place - burgers, tacos, eggs, anything served over rice... But I'm mostly using dried.

We'll see how this changes over the next year since this is my first season growing peppers and I've never made my own sauce before.

Hi, powders seem quite popular, and I want to make more of them this year. I've found a sub forum for making hot sauces... is there a specific 'Powder Room', so to speak?

Thanks

no, it's an election year.... :rolleyes:

edit- rue bella, there are several threads discussing how to dehydrate chiles and making peppers, but there is not one particular section.  Use the Search function at the top of the page, make sure you are on the general forum page and look for dehydrating peppers, making pepper powder, and similar searches.  You'll come up with some good topcs to read.  they are in various forums, another keyword is "ghetto gear" "dehydrator"  Have fun, good luck and enjoy!
SL

salsalady said:
no, it's an election year.... :rolleyes:

edit- rue bella, there are several threads discussing how to dehydrate chiles and making peppers, but there is not one particular section.  Use the Search function at the top of the page, make sure you are on the general forum page and look for dehydrating peppers, making pepper powder, and similar searches.  You'll come up with some good topcs to read.  they are in various forums, another keyword is "ghetto gear" "dehydrator"  Have fun, good luck and enjoy!
SL

Thanks SL,  I have been using 'Search' to find threads about powders (that's how I found this one). Thanks for the additional search terms and tips. I never would have though of "ghetto gear", lol.  There is a wealth of information here - I just have to find more of it.

I've made some simple powders in the past, but want more variety plus know-how. I've got dehydrators, a good blender and plants in the ground. Now to do more reading...

Thanks again.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Low and slow, best powder advice out there

Thanks. I always cringe when I see dehydrator recommendations that say 130*F or higher for fruits or veggies. Talk about ruining good produce. It must be a CYA thing. I rarely go over 110*-115* for drying any plant material and prefer lower. What temp would you recommend for good results for powders?

Back