• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Powder Stems vs No Stems

When making powder, do you remove the stems from the chilis? [please explain below]

• Yes, I remove them.

Votes: 45 100.0%
  • No, I leave them intact.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
No stems, no seeds. They can bitter the powder. To each their own though, taste is a subjective experience.

I don't eat fresh stems, so if i would make powder out of dried chilies, i'd remove the stems.
The seeds i would leave in, it just makes the powder hotter.

Always remove stems before for both a good spliff and powder :D
I also remove the majority of the seeds (i dont care to leave a couple seeds but a remove all i can with a fast hand processing).

Cya

Datil

No stems, but seeds?

Powders out, sauces mostly in.
Typically, I leave about 1/2 in a seedy pepper, all in a sparsely seeded one.

For the record, my opinion is that stems not only have no appreciable flavor, texture, or heat to contribute, they produce an inferior taste, even in a powder product.

I use dried peppers and remove every stem by hand. That's pulled, not cut; I remove the entire stem. I'm sure there are people who are faster at this task but it takes me 3 hours to de-stem 8 lbs. of dried whole peppers and my back hates me for a day or so afterward.

PLEASE HELP!: If there is a cost-effective, easier &/or faster way to de-stem dried whole peppers than just pulling each one off, I am all ears - or eyes, as it were.  ;)

Thanks, THP folk!

10622738_650182251746429_7506031890558262144_n.jpg
Habs_No_Stems_s.jpg

Back