Public Service Post...Fresh Produce Vendors

BakersPeppers said:
 I work my BEHIND off every day and i can NOT afford to just GIVE them away as i do run a business and have a family to feed...Im sure most of you out there can relate.......

Competition drives prices down. It always has, and hopefully always will. Sink or swim. It's as simple as that. If you can't afford to compete, it might be time to re-think some things, and most people know a gimmick when they see one. After all, that's what this thread is really about from where I'm sitting... a gimmick to justify inflated prices, and nothing more. The same goes for jacking up "regular prices" to make "sale prices" seem like you're getting a deal. It tends to rub people the wrong way. A quality product at a competitive price almost never fails.

Business 101 ;)

muskymojo said:

A quality product at a competitive price almost never fails.

Business 101 ;)

Didnt i JUST agree to that?? :D I just said if you can find it Bigger, Better, Faster, Stronger elsewhere i dont blame anyone for going elsewhere...THATS how confident i am in what i grow  :)

I guess I left out the part where i must be doing SOMETHING right as i ship out VOLUME every week......Maybe the quality product justifies the cost to some customers, all my customers and return customers know something about what we deliver :) If you dont maybe you should order a box and judge for yourself my man :) If you have already in the past, and i didnt earn your return business im greatly sorry i let you down...but it happens and id like the chance to make it right :) that goes out to ANY member/guest here! If you have purchased from me before and for SOME reason you were not happy Id like to hear from you, maybe we can make it right for you too! :) Dale@BakersPeppers.com ...email me ANYTIME!!

Dale Jr

Edit for spelling*

BakersPeppers said:

Didnt i JUST agree to that?? :D I just said if you can find it Bigger, Better, Faster, Stronger elsewhere i dont blame anyone for going elsewhere...THATS how confident i am in what i grow  :)

I guess I left out the part where i must be doing SOMETHING right as i ship out VOLUME every week......Maybe the quality product justifies the cost to some customers, all my customers and return customers know something about what we deliver :) If you dont maybe you should order a box and judge for yourself my man :) If you have already in the past, and i didnt earn your return business im greatly sorry i let you down...but it happens and id like the chance to make it right :) that goes out to ANY member/guest here! If you have purchased from me before and for SOME reason you were not happy Id like to hear from you, maybe we can make it right for you too! :) Dale@BakersPeppers.com ...email me ANYTIME!!

Dale Jr

Edit for spelling*
if for some reason we weren't happy?
alright let's see what your about ...what about the time when you had a sale going myself and another fellow thp member ?dont remember his name but WE both were interested in it ( back then assuming this was the going price) I was so excited to get in on the deal then bam sorry all sold out just had a customer buy my last 50lbs ?
and I was like yo man what about those standing in line you're just going to let this dude cut because he's buying 50 pounds and were just wanting a measly sfrb? you remember me now? I sent you an email? probably not but yeh man all you could say was sorry they'll be more sales later? All I can say is that rubbed me the wrong !

BakersPeppers said:

I guess I left out the part where i must be doing SOMETHING right as i ship out VOLUME every week......Maybe the quality product justifies the cost to some customers, all my customers and return customers know something about what we deliver :)

Responding to criticism with self praise and bragging. That sounds very familiar for some reason, but I can't quite put my finger on it.... :liar:

Next I suppose you'll mention how many "likes" your FB page has... :sick:   

muskymojo said:

Responding to criticism with self praise and bragging. That sounds very familiar for some reason, but I can't quite put my finger on it.... :liar:

Next I suppose you'll mention how many "likes" your FB page has... :sick:   
Just responding with facts man....facts dont LIE...Im also guessing you have never purchased from me before?? If so, tell me how i could have provided a better service/product to you....in an email....im done here...people pulling me in.....i dont get into this FIRE fueling anymore...done done

Dale Jr

Smitty said:
if for some reason we weren't happy?
alright let's see what your about ...what about the time when you had a sale going myself and another fellow thp member ?dont remember his name but WE both were interested in it ( back then assuming this was the going price) I was so excited to get in on the deal then bam sorry all sold out just had a customer buy my last 50lbs ?
and I was like yo man what about those standing in line you're just going to let this dude cut because he's buying 50 pounds and were just wanting a measly sfrb? you remember me now? I sent you an email? probably not but yeh man all you could say was sorry they'll be more sales later? All I can say is that rubbed me the wrong !
Seriously? I sold my last 50 lbs to a customer and you missed out that week and your upset about that? Im just trying to make sure i hear you correctly. Man look, Im sorry, Id sell a SFRB box to ANYONE if I physically have it to sell..if a customer swooped in and bought ALL i have i have to go that route......Im sorry if you didnt understand that. Did u come back the next week and see if they were in stock and available? Did u try to purchase again? To answer you no i dont remember the situation, but if you say it happened im not going to debate that with you...Me selling my last 50lbs HAD to be to a bulk customer who comes back over and over again buying 50lbs or more...If you for some reason cant understand why i would sell to him than im sorry theres nothing i can do to help you understand why i make the decisions i make...All i can say is go order a box....then holler at me if theres something i didnt do that needs correcting or something i could have done better..best i can offer you...

Dale Jr

BakersPeppers said:
Seriously? I sold my last 50 lbs to a customer and you missed out that week and your upset about that? Im just trying to make sure i hear you correctly. Man look, Im sorry, Id sell a SFRB box to ANYONE if I physically have it to sell..if a customer swooped in and bought ALL i have i have to go that route......Im sorry if you didnt understand that. Did u come back the next week and see if they were in stock and available? Did u try to purchase again? To answer you no i dont remember the situation, but if you say it happened im not going to debate that with you...Me selling my last 50lbs HAD to be to a bulk customer who comes back over and over again buying 50lbs or more...If you for some reason cant understand why i would sell to him than im sorry theres nothing i can do to help you understand why i make the decisions i make...All i can say is go order a box....then holler at me if theres something i didnt do that needs correcting or something i could have done better..best i can offer you...

Dale Jr
Of course I didn't come back next week to buy a box I totally understand selling to repeat customers especially 50 pounds orders its all about the ($)but if you got a sale going on and you have customers "waiting"in line you take care of those that were "waiting" in line first period!
what part of THAT don't YOU understand.

Waiting in line how so?? I dont understand...i sell via my website...with exact in stock amounts....if it sold out before u could order i dont see how thats something i did...or was it a sale on here? If so link me...they all are logged Here somewhere...im just trying to find Out how exactly i wronged u...help me understand better...U and another guy were "in line" to buy one sfrb i had for sale?? Where and when?? Email me...i will see if i can help u...Send specifics...so,i can best help u...

BakersPeppers said:
Waiting in line how so?? I dont understand...i sell via my website...with exact in stock amounts....if it sold out before u could order i dont see how thats something i did...or was it a sale on here? If so link me...they all are logged Here somewhere...im just trying to find Out how exactly i wronged u...help me understand better...U and another guy were "in line" to buy one sfrb i had for sale?? Where and when?? Email me...i will see if i can help u...Send specifics...so,i can best help u...
In line meaning we posted we wanted some then went to the website to order as requested and that's when you had said you were all sold out I'm not going to get picky or personal with you nor am I going to go hunt down information to prove myself to you that's how you do business and that's how I don't do business,Sorry your loss
Oh and I AM DONE.

I think healthy competition is good great.  It does two things, or at least it should, first - it does drive prices down, and second - it should also increase the quality of the product...

That being said, advertisements that equate to political mud-slinging are not good for anyone.  Regardless of who starts it or why, when it escalates to the point where all parties involved end up looking like fools...NO ONE wants anything to do with any of them.

What's next? Your dirt is better than their dirt or their sunshine is more intense than your sunshine...?  I can tell you here in Colorado OUR sunshine is more intense than Florida or Tennessee :)

Some people like Florida...some people like Tennessee, "attack ads" won't sway most people to change what/who they like or prefer.

That is all.

BakersPeppers said:
Its ok guys...i deserve the hate....im trying to make these peppers available to the masses year round, keep you informed on how/where they come from, and i get hate from all...not ONE single positive reply...........

Dale, my post truly was a PSA. I was stating the differences in state regulations. For nursery stock I realize you MUST be inspected / certified but I have never heard of any inspection regulations concerning interstate sales of raw produce. Stop trying to be a martyr. . . 

Dale,
No, I have no beef with you because quite frankly I don't care about you one way or the other. 
In terms of your stamp of approval from Florida, that has NOTHING to do with your PRODUCE. That is a nursery inspection which most states require to send plants out of state. As of right now, feds don't regulate produce for the most part and neither do states. Yes, certain stores you might sell to might require an Organic certification or perhaps GAP certification but that is not a federal or state requirement on most produce.  

In terms of your volume, who cares? I have sent out over 30,000 pounds this year and that doesn't include retail produce so yea i do understand volume.

In terms of your PSA, this isn't a PSA. This is you trying to get one up on smaller companies and to get another dig at Judy. 

I will give you this, I know that you work hard because we more or less do the same thing and very few people realize the amount of time and labor (and money) it takes to do this on a large scale. However, if you run things right, charge fair and reasonable prices, your product should speak for itself. You shouldn't have to beat up on other companies whether directly or indirectly nor try and put the little guy down by posting an inaccurate "PSA" to try and get people not to buy from smaller guys who charge far less for just as good of a product.

BakersPeppers said:
Ok...not done it seems....

To be fair in return they have NEVER been that price longer than the time it takes me to realize the sale dates i entered in my store page have expired (No longer than overnight really). When i update product info it has a "Sale Price" section with dates set to run on a calendar (Go Daddy store builder) It expires sometimes, but other than that they have NEVER been more than that. Dont get me wrong, there has been folks who order at 5 am overnight on a night it happens to end and they have paid that "regular" price. But that cant be helped, and honestly if they paid that price they must have needed the peppers for something serious! :D LOL

Sale Price VS. Regular Price....Business 101 my man ;)

See you asked and i answered.....honestly! :)

Dale Jr
If they have never been that price, then why try to advertise that as the REGULAR price?  It's tactics like this that piss me off as a consumer.  It's blatant dishonesty!  I really wanted to stay out of this whole clusterf**k, but that statement really gets under my skin.  And quite frankly Dale, if you are operating on the level you claim to be, then economies of scale should be working and you shouldn't have to charge the price you are charging, even at the "Sale" price you have.  It's economies of scale that let giants like Walmart undercut the prices of the little guy.  So if you are the "giant" you claim to be and are charging prices WAY higher than the little guy is charging, then in my mind, as a consumer, you are either doing something really wrong in your business for your costs to warrant such an extravagant price, or you are price gouging.

BTW, Judy's pods are top notch.  I've gotten pods from you too (last year), and yours are top notch as well.  But I see no discernable difference between your quality and hers.  Her price wins hands down.

After reading the three pages of post, do we really need this on THP? The supper hot's prices are High as People are willing to pay, with more people growing and more gets put on the market the price will go down, s&d. I am new to the supper hots but darn there's sure seams like there's a bit of trouble with them. Reapers if you sale them you might get sued, I read others will turn you in for not being certified if you sale Peppers. I quit a sport after over 30 years and being very darn good at it over BS like this. I can see most have already made up there minds one way or the other, so lets not beat a dead horse. :(

Back