• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Pulpiteer 2013 Grow Log

I've been meaning to get to this for quite some time. I've put off planting about as long as I can stand it, so in the next week or so I'll get seeds in the soil. Until then, I wanted to get the glog started for this year. I've been reading and learning about an alternative agriculture system called "permaculture" so I'm playing around with that. I hope to show not only the growth and cooking in this glog, but also some permaculture inspired stuff to share what I've been learning because it's pretty awesome.

I looked over my 2012 beginning and I was way ahead last year, but then I ran out of room, so I've waited about a month in hope that will pay off.

So a couple of things. First, I produced a bit of pepper jelly, hot sauce, and powder last year, most of which I gave away as Christmas presents. Here's a shot of most of it.

product.jpg

And here is a close up of the sauces. I made the labels at home and had them printed at Staples. They turned out pretty good, and I learned some things doing it all.

sauce.jpg

As far as hot sauces, if you have not tried fermenting, you need to. Amazing. It's hard to describe how it fills out the flavor of the pepper as opposed to mixing it with just other flavors. Anyway, I really enjoyed doing that and hope to improve next year.

Here's a shot of the garden at rest (about a month ago). It's been pretty cold here, I think we're under 15 degrees as I type.

winter.jpg

Ok, on to the plans for beginning things here. I got some help and some scrap wood from a parishioner and constructed a grow area in our basement for the pepper starts. It's a 6 foot by 6 foot square with 5 foot high walls. The bottom looks like a pallet, but that was all done by us. I put some mylar emergency blankets up for walls and a ceiling. They should hold in heat and reflect light. I also had to put in chicken fence to keep the stupid cat out. I pig tailed some vanity lights I bought from Menards, and have 4 105 watt cfl bulbs and some 26 watt cfl's. All of them are 6500k in color temp. This gives me daylight, basically, but not as powerful. I also have 2 shop lights on the top - one a T8 and one a T12. Here's the pics:

growframe1.jpg

growframe2.jpg

And here is my current grow list. I'm trying to cut back a few from last year, but I got so many awesome varieties that it was hard and the cut back was small. Anyway, the plan is for 142 plants, about 60 varieties. Here they are:

Peppers for 2013

Bell Local Greenhouse
Bhut Jolokia Red pepperlover
Bishop's Crown pepperlover
Canary Bell totally tomato
Carolina Reaper pepperjoe
Cherry Bomb mine
Corno Di Toro Red totally tomato
Red Rocoto mine (totally tomato)
Trinidad Scotch Bonnet Red pepperlover
Trinidad Scotch Bonnet Yellow pepperlover
7 pod Congo SR Gigantic pepperlover
7 pot Jonah aji joe
7 Pot Yellow mine
Aji Lemon Peru pepperlover
Bahamian Goat (cappy) pic1
Bahamian Goat aji joe
Burkina Yellow aji joe
Chocolate Cherry Sweet mine (aji joe)
Cili Goronong aji joe
Douglah (w/stinger) mine (aji joe)
Fatalii pepperlover
Giant Mexican Rocoto pepperlover
Golden Treasure Totally Tomato
Harold St. Bart's Habanero aji joe
Jalapeno pepperjoe
Naga Morich pepperlover
Nagabon (THSC) pic1
Orange 7 Pod pepperlover
Orange Manzano stc3248
Orange Thai aji joe
Peach Australian Lantern Hab aji joe
Peach Bhut Jolokia aji joe
Peach Bhut Jolokia mine (aji joe)
Peach Habanero aji joe
Peach Lightning Hab aji joe
Poblano pepperjoe
Purple Bhut Jolokia pepperlover
Saint Barts Marche Market 2012 pic1
Scotch Bonnet (Anguilla Farmer's Mkt Red 2012) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (Belize City 2011) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (FDA Red) (AJ) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (FDA Yellow) (peppermania) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (Jamaican 2007) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (Jamaican Montego Bay 2012) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (P. Dreddie) (cmpman) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (Papa Joe's Mkt) (cmpman) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (St. Marteen, Marigot Mkt, yellow 2012) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (TFM) (peppermania) pic1
Serrano pepperjoe
Tobago Scotch Bonnet pepperlover
Trinidad 7 Pod Brain Strain Red pepperlover
Trinidad 7 Pod Brain Strain Yellow pepperlover
Trinidad 7 Pod Brown pepperlover
Trinidad 7 Pod Primo pepperlover
Trinidad Morovas pepperlover
Trinidad Scorpion - Original Strain pepperlover
Yellow 7 Pot x Fatalii F2 Spicegeist
Yellow Cardi Scorpion romy6
Yellow Manzano hooda
Chinese 5 Color aji joe
Peach Lantern Hab (small) aji joe

Alright, I'll add more info as I go, thanks for checking this out!

Glad to see things are coming together after the cool spring you had this year.

Not sure if I'm brave enough to plant with my pants of just yet.

Maybe after I retire, I work for a school district...LOL

PaulG said:
Allright, pod heaven!

Could those be Mason Bees.  They are small, black
bees that lay eggs in tubes or holes on wood to winter
over, then hatch out in the Spring.  My buddy keeps his
bee tubes in the fridge in the winter, then puts them out
in Sping.
It's coming... slowly, but they are coming along...

I wonder if they are mason bees. I just read an article about them this spring in my Urban farm magazine, I guess they are handy pollinators. They had homes that people made for them like you describe to try to attract them. Interesting... Glad to see them either way. 

Sawyer said:
Looks like those bees are plotting something.
Yes they do. As long as it's something good for the garden, I'm down with it.
Devv said:
Glad to see things are coming together after the cool spring you had this year.

Not sure if I'm brave enough to plant with my pants of just yet.

Maybe after I retire, I work for a school district...LOL
Thanks Devv, it's still going slower than I wanted, but things are much greener, so that's a positive. And I still have August and September to grow it out, so I should get some peppers.

Working for a school district is yet another profession where you ought not to plant out bottomless - which I understand is called "porky pigging" btw. Of course in California and Oregon they probably don't hire you unless you do that crazy stuff.

I know it's a little dark here, but here is a wide shot of the pepper and tomato gardens.  You may be able to tell, things are moving along well now.  I am just a month behind.  However, if things continue and we keep getting good heat, then I'll have some good harvests I think.

wide.jpg

I've got a couple of ripe peppers - a cherry bomb:

cherrybomb.jpg

And a Jimmy Nardello

jimmyn.jpg

Here are a few shots of a plant that I am growing from some of Charles' (Spicegeist) seeds. It is a yellow 7 pot x Fatalii, I think F2, if I remember off the top of my head. Anyway, here is a series of three shots, first the plant from above:

y7xfatalii3.jpg

A flower:

y7xfatalii2.jpg

And a developing pod:

y7xfatalii.jpg

And a few other pepper plant shots - 7 Pod Congo (pepperlover)

7congo.jpg

Yellow Manzano

yellowmanzano.jpg

One of my nemesis - you can tell just from the photo how absolutely evil this creature is

bunny.jpg

Finally, I've mentioned a few times about growing ground cherries. I've really enjoyed them and fully recommend them. Here is what they look like in the husk and harvested:

groundcherry.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

Making a comeback Andy,still 2 solid months left. I have a rabbit who lives in my chile bed. He eats all the clover in the neighbors yard and sleeps it off under my plants. He/she has never done any damage so I let it go.

Look how green the grass is for late July. You must be getting some decent rain.

Well, it is a slower year for sure but pods are still forming! Everything in due time Andy! Lol, we can't live in the past. Your garden is looking good buddy. I have those bees as well. I saw them Sunday and they were flying around pollinating my flowers! So I saved one from drowning in a puddle of water lol.

MOA's huh, I might have to try those out next year.

Andy,
There's plenty of time for some good harvests out your way.........I just keep looking at my plants thinking," they were half the size 30 days ago, maybe they'll be twice their size 30 days from now". 

I have a rabbit or two hanging around. When I let "Sunny" the cat out his ears wiggle just like the "Trix" rabbit........he knows where to find them.

Things are coming along nicely, my friend.  I have a feeling
your garden will pull through for you big time!  Something chewed
the 3" top of one of my Trin Red Scotch Bonnets; I am hoping
beyond hope that it wasn't a rabbit.  They do live around here,
but mostly in the nature park close by (about a mile), so it's possible
they could be exploring for new habitat.  I'll have to get some brave
knights to get after him if that's the case!

As for porky pigging, what can I say?  If ya got it, flaunt it!

stc3248 said:
A mere bunny? Lobbeth the holy hand grenade!!!
http://youtu.be/tgj3nZWtOfA?t=2m

Hahahahaha....you ain't far off Andy! Bonnie is growing those Cherries also...hmmm, May have to give them a shot!
:rofl: Perfect.  

The ground cherries are awesome - I recommend them.

Spicegeist said:
Looking good!  Nice rabbit too, better than a groundhog...

Thanks! That picture of the plant from your seed doesn't do it justice. It's branched out nicely and it looking very good now. I'll be curious to see how the pods shape up.

Pr0digal_son said:
Making a comeback Andy,still 2 solid months left. I have a rabbit who lives in my chile bed. He eats all the clover in the neighbors yard and sleeps it off under my plants. He/she has never done any damage so I let it go.

Look how green the grass is for late July. You must be getting some decent rain.

That part of the yard gets watered when I water the garden. The other part of my lawn looks very brown. If that rabbit just ate clover and hung out in the garden, I'd be fine. However, it has decided to chomp on things I'm growing. Darn thing.
I keep hanging on to that 2 months left thing. At least I have some pods developing. It's coming...

3/5King said:
Well, it is a slower year for sure but pods are still forming! Everything in due time Andy! Lol, we can't live in the past. Your garden is looking good buddy. I have those bees as well. I saw them Sunday and they were flying around pollinating my flowers! So I saved one from drowning in a puddle of water lol.

MOA's huh, I might have to try those out next year.
Thanks Dave - bees are good news around the garden. I love seeing the good guys at work.

Send me a PM about the MoA's, I could send you a few of mine. 

ajijoe said:
ITS A RABBIT!!

look out hes a killer!!

ah yes "THE HOLY HAND GRENADE OF ANTIOCH" very effective LOL    i always liked MONTY PYTHON

thanks i needed a laugh

your friend Joe
Yep, that was a good call by Shane - I didn't even think of it until he put that link up. Good stuff! 

PIC 1 said:
Andy,
There's plenty of time for some good harvests out your way.........I just keep looking at my plants thinking," they were half the size 30 days ago, maybe they'll be twice their size 30 days from now". 

I have a rabbit or two hanging around. When I let "Sunny" the cat out his ears wiggle just like the "Trix" rabbit........he knows where to find them.
Thanks Greg - you're right, there's time and they're coming along. We've had a cool week though, could use some heat.

I've thought about letting our cat out, because yeah, that would address the rabbit issue. I just don't want her hit by a car.

PaulG said:
Things are coming along nicely, my friend.  I have a feeling
your garden will pull through for you big time!  Something chewed
the 3" top of one of my Trin Red Scotch Bonnets; I am hoping
beyond hope that it wasn't a rabbit.  They do live around here,
but mostly in the nature park close by (about a mile), so it's possible
they could be exploring for new habitat.  I'll have to get some brave
knights to get after him if that's the case!

As for porky pigging, what can I say?  If ya got it, flaunt it!
Thanks Paul. I hope whatever it was that got your plant doesn't come back. It's frustrating to go out to the garden and see a plant gnawed up.

As far as porky pigging, lol, the first time I heard that term was when a Detroit Lions assistant coach did it through a drive through a few years ago. Yep. The Lions. Sigh...

Been a couple for an update, by the look of things before you should be starting to pull a good many pods by now. Hope things are going well for you and looking forward to a big update soon.

Andy, I too have been remiss in my studies of the holy Glogs :) while catching up, and the garden is looking great but the best thing for a rabbit is a 20 gauge ;)

I wanted to say thanks for all the prayers lifted for us. We closed on our new home yesterday and were it not for everybody praying for us and keeping us in the thoughts I'm not sure it would have happened. Thank you!

Oh, if you happen to have some extra Ground Cherry seeds at the end of the season I'd love to get some off you if I can. I want to make a planter that the kids can pull some from. Thinking also about making a Cascading Pot set up with Ground Cherries and Strawberries. Just sounds like it would be really pretty to see and delicious too. 

Thanks guys.  Sorry I've been away, here's an update before I'm out and away from the computer for awhile again.
Bill - I'm trying to collect some seeds so I'll save you some for sure.  Just PM me your address later in the season and I'll be glad to mail you some.  They have been a bright spot in an otherwise dismal garden year.

And with that intro - now on to the suckiest pepper growing season ever.  :mope:  It has been a year of irritation and not very calming in the garden for me.  We have had a beautiful September this August.  It's been dry and cool.  It was in the mid-40's the other morning according to a farmer in the area.  We have had maybe two weeks of good heat this entire summer, and we began cool and wet, so the peppers have not had a chance to catch and really run. 

Here is a picture comparison between this year and last.  You'll see August 3 of last year on top and August 16 of this year on the bottom.  It may not seem like much at first glance, but it is almost a two week difference in August - and even with two weeks earlier, last years growth is 1-2 feet larger than this year.  I added some arrows at the plant tops by where the brick meets the siding and that makes it a bit more apparent.  Last year at this time I had some nice harvests.  This year I've had 5 peppers and they were non's from one of my plants. 

compare.jpg

What the picture does not show are the handful of plants that are battling what seems to be broad mites (judging by others' descriptions of broad mites on this site and on the internets). Here is a picture of one plant's affected leaves.

mites.jpg

That one is actually doing better.
I know the cure involves either pulling the plant and burning it, or pyrethrins and sulphur for organic, or straight up poison for conventional. However, my tag promised an exploration of permaculture - and I'm interested in beyond organic. So, here is my thought process and my actions.
1. I pulled affected leaves as best I could.
2. I bubbled up a batch of compost tea and applied that.

My permaculture wanderings have led me to believe that when plants get this issue and cannot overcome it themselves, than there is something wrong. I've planted in the wrong spot, or not provided the right environment and the plant is weak, immune system is weak, so mother nature says, "let me take that out for you" and bring on the mites!
The immune systems were low for several reasons, but mostly due to cool, wet weather that never allowed them to set their roots in well, and that cool weather that never allowed the micro organisms in the soil to burst to life like I counted on. This natural immune system was compromised from the beginning.
Also, it's been a bad year for bees, I found out, because the weather cut back on the flowers. No pollen, no good guys. Not just pollenators, but also good predators. I read somewhere online that lacewing larva will eat the broad mites.
And that's what I really want, something to eat those mites. This is why I refuse to use even the organic pesticide. It still kills everyone, and the bad guys come back first, always, so once I start, I'm committed to using it all season.
For next year - more studying on flowers that draw a good guy bug army. And some heat please.

Btw, they have responded well to the compost tea. The mite infestation is under control, with most plants bouncing back.

Sorry for all the typing, but I wanted to share my thought process as it may be different.

And on to some happier news:

One of my Cili Goronongs from Aji Joe is a non, which happens. But this non is a little super star and producing lots of little, yellow pods, and at least providing me some heat. I used two of these little guys tonight on some bbq pork sandwiches. Yum.

notcili.jpg

The other Cili looks to be true - and today she has an almost ripe pod. Nice and purty.

cili.jpg

Another super producer from Aji Joe is the peach Australian Lantern Hab. This shot shows just a few of the many pods on this. Hopefully they'll color up nicely.

habs.jpg

And for Spicegeist, here's a growing pod from that yellow7xfatalii. The plant is doing well considering this year's conditions.

y7xfatalii.jpg

Here's some Pablanos that are doing well.

pablano.jpg

I've been waiting for this FDA Scotch Bonnet (yellow) from Pic1 to color up forever. It's a big, beautifully shaped pod. I think after all the frustration I deserve at least one good Scotch Bonnet, right?

fda.jpg

Finally, another plant from Greg (Pic1), a Jamaican Scotch Bonnet from 2007. I don't have any seeds from this left, so it is my first attempt at seed isolation. I'm using tulle wrapped around a branch with all closed flowers. Hopefully I'll get a nice looking pod or two and I'll be set on seeds for awhile.

isolate.jpg

Alright, that's it for me for a bit. Thanks for stopping by!

Yeah...you knew you got a late start! Frustrating now, but expected! They'll ripen up! That FDA Bonnet is a monster! WOW!!! I share your thoughts on the weak immune systems. Truth is, more of your plants may be infested than you think...they're just fighting it off better. Not too sure on the broad mite diagnosis...looks like maybe BLS or some other type of fungal or bacterial problem. I think broad mites usually produce more distorted and narrow looking leaves.

Here is a pic
1675.400x400.jpeg

photo from here: http://www.infonet-biovision.org/default/images/119/crops

Can't wait to see color on all those plants...that Australian Lantern is LOADED!!!

Hi Andy!  It is disappointing when those bad years come along.  The past two years have been like that for me in the tomato department.  I used to do a lot of wintersowing (outdoors in recyclable containers), but the past two springs were cold and the tomatoes were so late sprouting that I barely had any ripe tomatoes before the first frost.  This year, I sowed the tomatoes indoors and am having much better year.  I still lost a couple plants due to some sort of early wilt, but that's why I always plant more than I think I need, to cover the inevitable losses.

The veggie bed here at the house is kind of like your two photos, way smaller than this time last year.  Part of it is that there is a break in the sprinkler line, and I just can't water it as efficiently by hand.  Plus, I think it needs some amendments added to the soil to help it retain moisture better.  The plants in that bed are way behind both the container plants, and the ones down at the community garden.  That bed has all the sweet peppers in it ...

I think you'll still end up with a decent harvest, it just won't be the level you experienced last season.  That Peach Australian Lantern Hab looks pretty interesting.  Looking forward to hearing about the taste on that one.

looking good Andy!!!
wow im getting quite a rep for my NON's LOL
yeah the Superstar you got there is a cross but im glad you like it anyway, wait till you taste a real Goronong then you will know what Yum is for sure
its kinda funny but i think you cross could be a cross wi between the Cili Goronong and a Beni Highland they may have been close enough to each other for this to happen
also your gonna love the flavor of the peach Australian lantern, i found them to have a slight MELON flavor to them
my Peach Australian lantern are starting to color out now as well, i also have a Yellow brain strain and a Sunset scorpion,red Scorpanero #1,Wild Brazil, re Aji Teapot and Aji Pineapple are coming in too
im having similar problems with my leaves too, im having the most trouble with 

SUNSET T.S.
SCARLET LANTERN
HABANERO CONDORS BEAK
JAY STRAIN RED GHOST SCORPION (AND THE PEACH ONE SOMEWHAT TOO)

there all dropping there leaves, too much rain
but all in all im doing fine and some is starting to come in, but some are lagging, i hope they make it
again looking great!!

thanks your friend Joe

stc3248 said:
Yeah...you knew you got a late start! Frustrating now, but expected! They'll ripen up! That FDA Bonnet is a monster! WOW!!! I share your thoughts on the weak immune systems. Truth is, more of your plants may be infested than you think...they're just fighting it off better. Not too sure on the broad mite diagnosis...looks like maybe BLS or some other type of fungal or bacterial problem. I think broad mites usually produce more distorted and narrow looking leaves.

Here is a pic
1675.400x400.jpeg

photo from here: http://www.infonet-biovision.org/default/images/119/crops

Can't wait to see color on all those plants...that Australian Lantern is LOADED!!!
Thanks Shane. I'll be starting earlier next year. And I'll have a chip on my shoulder...

You may be right - can't remember where I saw broad mite damage that looked like what I have. Here's a few more shots I took today.

damage1.jpg

Here the damaged plant is in the middle. You can see the effects on growth:

damage2.jpg

damage3.jpg

Puckered leaves - not really with the spots - so this may be something different. Not sure. This one is throwing out flowers though.
damage4.jpg

So, we'll see.

highalt said:
Hi Andy!  It is disappointing when those bad years come along.  The past two years have been like that for me in the tomato department.  I used to do a lot of wintersowing (outdoors in recyclable containers), but the past two springs were cold and the tomatoes were so late sprouting that I barely had any ripe tomatoes before the first frost.  This year, I sowed the tomatoes indoors and am having much better year.  I still lost a couple plants due to some sort of early wilt, but that's why I always plant more than I think I need, to cover the inevitable losses.

The veggie bed here at the house is kind of like your two photos, way smaller than this time last year.  Part of it is that there is a break in the sprinkler line, and I just can't water it as efficiently by hand.  Plus, I think it needs some amendments added to the soil to help it retain moisture better.  The plants in that bed are way behind both the container plants, and the ones down at the community garden.  That bed has all the sweet peppers in it ...

I think you'll still end up with a decent harvest, it just won't be the level you experienced last season.  That Peach Australian Lantern Hab looks pretty interesting.  Looking forward to hearing about the taste on that one.
Thanks Bonnie. Growing stuff can be tough, I guess. You've got such an unforgiving climate over there, I can't imagine.

My tomatoes are way behind this year as well. Just a tough year all around. Oh well, we're supposed to have warmer weather next week. 

ajijoe said:
looking good Andy!!!
wow im getting quite a rep for my NON's LOL
yeah the Superstar you got there is a cross but im glad you like it anyway, wait till you taste a real Goronong then you will know what Yum is for sure
its kinda funny but i think you cross could be a cross wi between the Cili Goronong and a Beni Highland they may have been close enough to each other for this to happen
also your gonna love the flavor of the peach Australian lantern, i found them to have a slight MELON flavor to them
my Peach Australian lantern are starting to color out now as well, i also have a Yellow brain strain and a Sunset scorpion,red Scorpanero #1,Wild Brazil, re Aji Teapot and Aji Pineapple are coming in too
im having similar problems with my leaves too, im having the most trouble with 

SUNSET T.S.
SCARLET LANTERN
HABANERO CONDORS BEAK
JAY STRAIN RED GHOST SCORPION (AND THE PEACH ONE SOMEWHAT TOO)

there all dropping there leaves, too much rain
but all in all im doing fine and some is starting to come in, but some are lagging, i hope they make it
again looking great!!

thanks your friend Joe
Hey Joe! I know that I'll get a few non's in the bunch from your seed - you're very open about the fact that you don't isolate, but still get the seeds out for such a great price. It's worth the gamble. I'm not usually the biggest fan of 'non's' but these are pretty tasty and they are growing well so I'm enjoying them. They were wonderful on my sandwich.
I am excited to eat that real Goronong. It looks great - I should be getting to it this week. Can't wait!
I am also excited about those Peach Aus. Lanterns - however, but the looks of it I may be overwhelmed. Do they usually put out so many pods? It's growing like a champ.

Sorry to hear you've had troubles too. Strange year weather wise. Hang in there - and great to hear from you as always.

Just a few more shots I took today:

One of the Scotch Bonnets from Pic1. I can't remember which one and my map is in the other room...

bonnet.jpg

And some non's

Tomatillos

tomatillo.jpg

Here is a melon called a "Hero of Lockinge" from Baker Creek Heriloom seeds - which is an awesome place for seeds

hero.jpg

Finally, on the left are Jerusalem Artichokes, which produce tubers that taste a bit like water chestnuts. The flowers there are 4 o'clocks which grew like gang busters in that location. They are there as a trap crop for Japanese beetles. I guess the beetles love them, but they are poisonous to them. So that's awesome. I have not had a Japanese beetle problem, so not sure if it's working or not. Also in there are my hardy kiwis which are slowly grabbing onto the lattice and growing a bit.

jartichoke.jpg

Alright, I'm off to bed. Gotta preach in a few hours. I may be away from the computer for a bit here this week, but I'll be back...

Preach on Brother Andy!  :party:

That last pic does look a little like mite damage...the others and the single leaf look to be a bacterial issue to me...

No chips on shoulders! You had a REALLY good reason for the late start remember? Heck...I can't think of a better one! You'll still harvest more peppers this season than the average gardener does in a lifetime...so it's all relative! 

It's all good Andy. God never gives us more than we can handle right? There's always something he is pointing out for us to learn (whether we see it right away or not) once we realize this I believe we become wiser which means we learn faster and inherit the responsibilitiy of teaching others....but for some reason most of us choose not to listen and to learn the hard way...lol

Everyone's got their own path to trek; garden to grow. Our gardens seem to be in teaching mode this year....like my garden for example has taught me a few swear words I never knew existed...

Lol j/k

All in all your garden is still doing great. I love that you are sticking to your permiculture path and not resting on your laurels. I'm with you on finding some new ways to invite some guardians of the garden. The great thing about a garden is that you get to start fresh with a clean slate te next season! But until then keep up the good fight Andy!

Back