• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Pulpiteer 2013 Grow Log

I've been meaning to get to this for quite some time. I've put off planting about as long as I can stand it, so in the next week or so I'll get seeds in the soil. Until then, I wanted to get the glog started for this year. I've been reading and learning about an alternative agriculture system called "permaculture" so I'm playing around with that. I hope to show not only the growth and cooking in this glog, but also some permaculture inspired stuff to share what I've been learning because it's pretty awesome.

I looked over my 2012 beginning and I was way ahead last year, but then I ran out of room, so I've waited about a month in hope that will pay off.

So a couple of things. First, I produced a bit of pepper jelly, hot sauce, and powder last year, most of which I gave away as Christmas presents. Here's a shot of most of it.

product.jpg

And here is a close up of the sauces. I made the labels at home and had them printed at Staples. They turned out pretty good, and I learned some things doing it all.

sauce.jpg

As far as hot sauces, if you have not tried fermenting, you need to. Amazing. It's hard to describe how it fills out the flavor of the pepper as opposed to mixing it with just other flavors. Anyway, I really enjoyed doing that and hope to improve next year.

Here's a shot of the garden at rest (about a month ago). It's been pretty cold here, I think we're under 15 degrees as I type.

winter.jpg

Ok, on to the plans for beginning things here. I got some help and some scrap wood from a parishioner and constructed a grow area in our basement for the pepper starts. It's a 6 foot by 6 foot square with 5 foot high walls. The bottom looks like a pallet, but that was all done by us. I put some mylar emergency blankets up for walls and a ceiling. They should hold in heat and reflect light. I also had to put in chicken fence to keep the stupid cat out. I pig tailed some vanity lights I bought from Menards, and have 4 105 watt cfl bulbs and some 26 watt cfl's. All of them are 6500k in color temp. This gives me daylight, basically, but not as powerful. I also have 2 shop lights on the top - one a T8 and one a T12. Here's the pics:

growframe1.jpg

growframe2.jpg

And here is my current grow list. I'm trying to cut back a few from last year, but I got so many awesome varieties that it was hard and the cut back was small. Anyway, the plan is for 142 plants, about 60 varieties. Here they are:

Peppers for 2013

Bell Local Greenhouse
Bhut Jolokia Red pepperlover
Bishop's Crown pepperlover
Canary Bell totally tomato
Carolina Reaper pepperjoe
Cherry Bomb mine
Corno Di Toro Red totally tomato
Red Rocoto mine (totally tomato)
Trinidad Scotch Bonnet Red pepperlover
Trinidad Scotch Bonnet Yellow pepperlover
7 pod Congo SR Gigantic pepperlover
7 pot Jonah aji joe
7 Pot Yellow mine
Aji Lemon Peru pepperlover
Bahamian Goat (cappy) pic1
Bahamian Goat aji joe
Burkina Yellow aji joe
Chocolate Cherry Sweet mine (aji joe)
Cili Goronong aji joe
Douglah (w/stinger) mine (aji joe)
Fatalii pepperlover
Giant Mexican Rocoto pepperlover
Golden Treasure Totally Tomato
Harold St. Bart's Habanero aji joe
Jalapeno pepperjoe
Naga Morich pepperlover
Nagabon (THSC) pic1
Orange 7 Pod pepperlover
Orange Manzano stc3248
Orange Thai aji joe
Peach Australian Lantern Hab aji joe
Peach Bhut Jolokia aji joe
Peach Bhut Jolokia mine (aji joe)
Peach Habanero aji joe
Peach Lightning Hab aji joe
Poblano pepperjoe
Purple Bhut Jolokia pepperlover
Saint Barts Marche Market 2012 pic1
Scotch Bonnet (Anguilla Farmer's Mkt Red 2012) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (Belize City 2011) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (FDA Red) (AJ) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (FDA Yellow) (peppermania) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (Jamaican 2007) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (Jamaican Montego Bay 2012) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (P. Dreddie) (cmpman) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (Papa Joe's Mkt) (cmpman) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (St. Marteen, Marigot Mkt, yellow 2012) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (TFM) (peppermania) pic1
Serrano pepperjoe
Tobago Scotch Bonnet pepperlover
Trinidad 7 Pod Brain Strain Red pepperlover
Trinidad 7 Pod Brain Strain Yellow pepperlover
Trinidad 7 Pod Brown pepperlover
Trinidad 7 Pod Primo pepperlover
Trinidad Morovas pepperlover
Trinidad Scorpion - Original Strain pepperlover
Yellow 7 Pot x Fatalii F2 Spicegeist
Yellow Cardi Scorpion romy6
Yellow Manzano hooda
Chinese 5 Color aji joe
Peach Lantern Hab (small) aji joe

Alright, I'll add more info as I go, thanks for checking this out!

I just want to pop in quick to throw up a video I did tonight.  I'll add more of an update later.  It's been crazy busy again.

Trinidad Morovas.  Turns out they're hot.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnXHd-bLbRU[/media]

meatfreak said:
Wow, those are some beautiful looking SB's! Nice harvest over all, is it me or do those Cili Goronong look very big?! On the picture they look even bigger then most pods on it. How was the flavor/aroma on them?

Thanks! I'm so pleased with them - exactly what I hoped for.  Those Cili Goronongs are pretty big.  Cool looking pepper.  I still haven't gotten a chance to check out their flavor - I'll have to get back with you.

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
beautiful harvest.. your jelly has made me want to make some later today

Thanks!

PIC 1 said:
Cool photos Andy !
The Bonnets  are a beautiful yellow...and HUGE !
I've been finding more of the true bonnet shaped pods from my Jamaican mkt pods than the MoA's that I'm growing. One consolation is that I ended up with a red MoA. I hope your enjoy the flavor of the Jamaican c.chinense, although not a super hot, I like the fact that they're tasty and you can eat them like an apple...lol

Great harvest photo...and close-ups !
I'm going to have to stop back here when I have a crave to look at some beautiful Bonnets !

It's been fun to see how each of those varieties have turned out.  I've loved seeing them turn out.  Great pods.  I'm thinking of drying most of them out and making a jerk seasoning dry rub.

WalkGood said:
Boonoonoonous looking peppers mon, now pass da fish & bammy and I’m set ^_^

Thanks!  

Alright, so I threw a video up last night. I realize that I'm not the most exciting reviewer - as I tend to suffer silently.  This is due in part because I cannot think through the pain enough to talk.  
I got to try a Trinidad Morova last night.  Here's another page where Judy (pepperlover.com) introduces them. 

I was expecting habanero level heat.  From what I've read, it is closer to superhot level heat, although maybe not quite.  All I can say is that it destroyed me.

Here is one shot:

morova1.jpg

And here is the inside - you can see the oils

morova3.jpg

I ate half. Last night I couldn't really sleep all that well. I was up every couple of hours with excruciating stomach pain. I had to sleep in the recliner, and when I woke up I'd walk around to ease the pain, then try antacids or milk, but the peppers was down in my intestine, so it couldn't really be reached. And it was then that I decided that this was my last review. It beat me up too bad... It was an awesome pepper though.

On another note - I made some mango salsa!

I use moonglow tomatoes that I ordered from totally tomato. I love that variety. They have grown pretty well in this climate the past two years, and they are sweet and juicy. I had maybe 20 of those with 4 mangos, all peeled and chopped in the food processor:

salsa1.jpg

Add the garlic, red onion, and scotch bonnets:

salsa2.jpg

Then the pineapple sage and lemon verbena:

salsa3.jpg

Cook and bring to a boil for 5-10 minutes. Hot pack them in jars, then water bath for another 30 minutes.

salsa4.jpg

And I'll have something to get me through part of the winter.

And some "nons" - I tried growing a few melons late in the season from Baker Creek Heirloom seeds. Here is one called the Hero of Lockinge. It grew to a softball sized, very sweet melon. I'll be growing it next year.

melon.jpg

And I am not sure what this is called, but it's fresh sliced tomato, fresh basil, some good mozzarella, and balsamic vinegar. Yum.

tomato.jpg

Alright, bed time.

Thanks for stopping by!

Pulpiteer said:

Thanks! I'm so pleased with them - exactly what I hoped for.  Those Cili Goronongs are pretty big.  Cool looking pepper.  I still haven't gotten a chance to check out their flavor - I'll have to get back with you.

Thanks!

It's been fun to see how each of those varieties have turned out.  I've loved seeing them turn out.  Great pods.  I'm thinking of drying most of them out and making a jerk seasoning dry rub.

Thanks!  

Alright, so I threw a video up last night. I realize that I'm not the most exciting reviewer - as I tend to suffer silently.  This is due in part because I cannot think through the pain enough to talk.  
I got to try a Trinidad Morova last night.  Here's another page where Judy (pepperlover.com) introduces them. 

I was expecting habanero level heat.  From what I've read, it is closer to superhot level heat, although maybe not quite.  All I can say is that it destroyed me.

Here is one shot:

morova1.jpg

And here is the inside - you can see the oils

morova3.jpg

I ate half. Last night I couldn't really sleep all that well. I was up every couple of hours with excruciating stomach pain. I had to sleep in the recliner, and when I woke up I'd walk around to ease the pain, then try antacids or milk, but the peppers was down in my intestine, so it couldn't really be reached. And it was then that I decided that this was my last review. It beat me up too bad... It was an awesome pepper though.

On another note - I made some mango salsa!

I use moonglow tomatoes that I ordered from totally tomato. I love that variety. They have grown pretty well in this climate the past two years, and they are sweet and juicy. I had maybe 20 of those with 4 mangos, all peeled and chopped in the food processor:

salsa1.jpg

Add the garlic, red onion, and scotch bonnets:

salsa2.jpg

Then the pineapple sage and lemon verbena:

salsa3.jpg

Cook and bring to a boil for 5-10 minutes. Hot pack them in jars, then water bath for another 30 minutes.

salsa4.jpg

And I'll have something to get me through part of the winter.

And some "nons" - I tried growing a few melons late in the season from Baker Creek Heirloom seeds. Here is one called the Hero of Lockinge. It grew to a softball sized, very sweet melon. I'll be growing it next year.

melon.jpg

And I am not sure what this is called, but it's fresh sliced tomato, fresh basil, some good mozzarella, and balsamic vinegar. Yum.

tomato.jpg

Alright, bed time.

Thanks for stopping by!

Looks tasty.  Now I am hungry . . .

Andy, nice processing photos..........your appetizer or salad dish in normally called a Caprese Salad, the Balsamic puts the spin on it.
Looks very tasty, especially with fresh picked tomatoes. 

chsy83 said:
Looks tasty.  Now I am hungry . . .

:surprised: Thanks, I do what I can.

PIC 1 said:
Andy, nice processing photos..........your appetizer or salad dish in normally called a Caprese Salad, the Balsamic puts the spin on it.
Looks very tasty, especially with fresh picked tomatoes.

Thanks Greg.  I see now that olive oil is a normal topping for that.  I liked the bite of the vinegar, but a mix of vinegar and olive oil sounds good too.

I checked the mail yesterday and to my surprise received a package from Karl (Hendrix1326)!  Wonderful!  I've tasted the green jelly already - it is made from green aji lemons and it has a very nice flavor.  And it's a fun little collection of peppers he sent.  Karl is one of the first people I really connected with on this website about two years ago now, so it's cool to receive that from him.  

gift.jpg

I was out in the garden tonight snooping around. I've done a lot of pictures of my scotch bonnets, so I'll try to have pictures of some of the other plants I'm growing. The garden finally looks good, and it's fun to wade through. Again, I'm like 6 weeks behind where I was last year. If the weather holds, these green pods will change. I've got a lot coming along, so we'll see. Anyway, here's a shot of the whole garden.

garden.jpg

I've got some red bhut jolokias (pepperlover) coming in and they look huge. I'm sad these didn't take off earlier. I'll definitely have to grow them from this seed next year.

bhut.jpg

And some white bhuts (pepeprlover) in another spot. I hope they ripen. I'm curious what they'll look like.

whitebhut.jpg

Here's a Bahamian Goat (Aji Joe) that I really hope ripens. Very curious about the taste of this one.

goat.jpg

Harold St. Bart's Habanero (Aji Joe) - my favorite habanero

hsb.jpg

Peach Lantern Habanero Small (Aji Joe) - this one I thought was a "not" that crossed with an ornamental. However, it appears to go through the purple stage on its way to peach. Very unusual and cool.

lantern.jpg

Once again, I have to mention that the Trinidad Morova (pepperlover) destroyed my gut. I tried just a couple of pieces of slices on some food today, and am amazed at how hot it is even with my food (stirfry, then bbq pork). Amazing. And here are some more on their way...

morova.jpg

Yellow 7 Pot (pepperlover). I really like the shapes and most everything about these...

yellow7.jpg

And I did get a couple HP22B's or Carolina Reapers going (pepperjoe). They are growing true to form shape wise. I hope they ripen up in time. They look mean...

reaper.jpg

And that's my 10 pictures for the night.

Thanks for stopping by!

Nice pepper shots, Andy! Glad to see your pepper patch is loaded up. I had the same problem up here, too, with cold August, and the peppers are about a month or more behind in ripening. Still way too many unripe, including all of my C.Baccatum, Frutescens, Pubescens, and most Chinense. Oh well, 20 overwinters should fix that for next year, ha! Take it easy!

My white bhuts, also from pepperlover, look about like yours in shape.  I have one plant where they are turning a bright yellow-orange, but most of them are a good creamy white color.  Haven't tasted one yet.  Most of my reapers look more or less like the picture you posted.  I have one plant that I think looks like Scott's Funky Reaper, though I haven't confirmed that with a taste test yet.  (Not sure what to look for in taste, anyway.)

Nice updates Andy. It makes me happy to see your season turn around.The weather was tough this year,we have been close to frost a few times already this season. Hope some of those pods ripen up for you.

Andy, I've never heard of those melons but they look really good and the Caprese salad is fantastic. Good to see those pods coming along. Do you have enough time left for the green ones to ripen? I'll be praying for some extended grow time for all y'all growing north of here. I'll PM you my address, I'd love some of those Ground Cherry seeds. Been crazy busy with work and the move, still unpacking boxes (where did they all come from?) and with them locking down on internet use at work I'm just not on as much as I would like to be. I figured it out though, Pics on the phone and post on the puter :)

Take care Brother, and lets see some pic of that new young'un sometime.

chsy83 said:
Lookin good!
Thank you! 

romy6 said:
Great review on the Moravas. That Pepper was huge. 

Your Garden looks amazing Andy. Really filling in nicely. 

Love the food shots even mo!!!!
Thanks! 
Yes it was huge. And it hurt.
Yeah, the garden is looking nice now. The frost is holding off for now. Hopefully I can get some more peppers to ripen.

Hendrix1326 said:
Nice pepper shots, Andy! Glad to see your pepper patch is loaded up. I had the same problem up here, too, with cold August, and the peppers are about a month or more behind in ripening. Still way too many unripe, including all of my C.Baccatum, Frutescens, Pubescens, and most Chinense. Oh well, 20 overwinters should fix that for next year, ha! Take it easy!
Thanks Karl! Have you guys had a frost yet? You must have. That cuts your season a bit shorter than ours down here. Good luck with the over winters. 

Sawyer said:
My white bhuts, also from pepperlover, look about like yours in shape.  I have one plant where they are turning a bright yellow-orange, but most of them are a good creamy white color.  Haven't tasted one yet.  Most of my reapers look more or less like the picture you posted.  I have one plant that I think looks like Scott's Funky Reaper, though I haven't confirmed that with a taste test yet.  (Not sure what to look for in taste, anyway.)

Good to know Sawyer, hopefully I'll get some with color. Frost is still holding off, so fingers crossed...
The reapers are taking forever to ripen.

Pr0digal_son said:
Nice updates Andy. It makes me happy to see your season turn around.The weather was tough this year,we have been close to frost a few times already this season. Hope some of those pods ripen up for you.
Thanks John - it finally took off. Just a bit late, but at least I'm not depressed when walking in the garden anymore. The plants are looking nice. We've been really closes to a frost, but one benefit of living in town is we tend to make it through the first few light frosts without any damage. Something about all the buildings creates micro-climates.  

RocketMan said:
Andy, I've never heard of those melons but they look really good and the Caprese salad is fantastic. Good to see those pods coming along. Do you have enough time left for the green ones to ripen? I'll be praying for some extended grow time for all y'all growing north of here. I'll PM you my address, I'd love some of those Ground Cherry seeds. Been crazy busy with work and the move, still unpacking boxes (where did they all come from?) and with them locking down on internet use at work I'm just not on as much as I would like to be. I figured it out though, Pics on the phone and post on the puter :)

Take care Brother, and lets see some pic of that new young'un sometime.
Those melons are really good - fun to try. I imagine you can really grow melons down in Florida. You should checkout Baker Creek seeds. I hope I get a few of those green ones to ripen. I was out there today and I've got a few more coming in. They're hanging in there. I do not envy you with the unpacking. Feeling unsettled is tough. You're on the upswing though.
I got your PM and picked some ground cherries today to send you.

Ok, I've got some pictures...
When we pick ground cherries, it's a race.  It's dusk here, so I'm wearing my awesome headlamp.  Anyway, when we remove the husks, I try to do a lot of them really fast, because my daughter tries to do a lot of them to eat them.  It's pretty funny.  She loves them.

groundcherries.jpg

Here's my daughters in the pepper patch, holding up some yellow peppers.

girls.jpg

I harvested some jalpenos and serranos and got them in the smoker, which I purchased this past winter thanks to the influence of this site...

smoker.jpg

And my harvest shot. This will probably be the biggest one this year, which stinks because last year's dwarfs it, but it's a harvest, so I'm not complaining too much.

harvest.jpg

I've been picturing and labeling different varieties for my records for the future. Here are a few:

Here's a yellow CARDI Scorpion - Romy6 - this one turned out very nice!

cardi.jpg

Peach Lantern Habanero small - Aji Joe

peachlantern.jpg

Scotch Bonnet (Trenton Farmer's Market) - Pic1, these look very similar to the FDA's.

tfm.jpg

And Scotch Bonnet (FDA) - Pic1

fdayellow.jpg

Fatalii - pepperlover

fatalii.jpg

Cili Goronong - Aji Joe

ciligoronong.jpg

Alright - thanks for stopping by!

Thanks Andy, just noticed the Lemon Verbena, man my Grandmother used to grow it and put it into Sachets she made to put in her closets and clothing drawers. Great stuff.

I have a hot sauce I made that used Ground Cherries. I'll take a look for it and PM you a copy to try out.

Wow - your garden and pods look great, Andy.  My grow is going to produce less this year, too.  If we get some decent Fall weather, I think we will get a couple of more harvests.  Next year.... Third season is a charm, right?

Wanted to share this with you.  I started some Scotch Bonnet seeds, from pods you sent, late (May 19) just
to see if they would grow here, and they did very well.  Of course, with the late start, there wasn't much hope
for any ripe pods.  The two remaiing SB's are great bushes, but will not ripen up any pods.  Here's the Yellow
SB your sent last season:
_DSC0498a_zps81e82daf.jpg

RocketMan said:
Thanks Andy, just noticed the Lemon Verbena, man my Grandmother used to grow it and put it into Sachets she made to put in her closets and clothing drawers. Great stuff.

I have a hot sauce I made that used Ground Cherries. I'll take a look for it and PM you a copy to try out.
That recipe was very interesting! Did not even know what some of the ingredients were - crazy. Thanks for sending that!  

PaulG said:
Wow - your garden and pods look great, Andy.  My grow is going to produce less this year, too.  If we get some decent Fall weather, I think we will get a couple of more harvests.  Next year.... Third season is a charm, right?

Wanted to share this with you.  I started some Scotch Bonnet seeds, from pods you sent, late (May 19) just
to see if they would grow here, and they did very well.  Of course, with the late start, there wasn't much hope
for any ripe pods.  The two remaiing SB's are great bushes, but will not ripen up any pods.  Here's the Yellow
SB your sent last season:
_DSC0498a_zps81e82daf.jpg
Looking great Paul! Maybe you'll get a couple to turn for you. And yes, there's always next year, right?

I wanted to share my weekend cooking project. My cousin and his family visited for dinner on Sunday, so I decided to try to smoke some meat for them. I got the smoker this past winter in large part due to this website. This is my third time trying to smoke meat on it, and I think I finally got it right.

I got a pork shoulder, picnic cut. It was 8 lbs - only .99 a pound.

Here is the recipe for the rub I used:
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. Bishop's crown powder
3 tbsp sea salt
2 tsp dry mustard
1 tbsp onion powder
1/2 tbsp thyme
1/2 tbsp allspice

I applied the rub, wrapped it in plastic wrap, and put it in the fridge overnight.

Here it is going in the smoker:
pork.jpg

A closer shot:

pork1.jpg

I tried to do a bunch of other things while that was cooking. I tried to keep the temps steady - but still ranged between 220 and 250. It didn't spike too badly, just slowly climbed as the meat heated up.

Meanwhile, back in the kitchen - jalapeno poppers: cream cheese, wrapped in bacon:

poppers.jpg

And a homemade bbq sauce - inspired by a Wayright post.

Blackberry bbq:
2 c. Blackberries - smoked
1 white onion - smoked
3 serranos - smoked
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. apple cider vinegar
1-2 tbsp ground black pepper
Tomato paste - from 2 medium slicing tomatoes and 12 roma tomatoes

I made the paste first - peeling the tomatoes, running them through the seed mill, then reducing them to a sauce/paste consistency. This was not a lot of paste - maybe 1/2 cup.

Here's the ingredients:

sauce1.jpg

I put the blackberries, onion, and serranos in the smoker. Here they are and here is the pork almost done:

pork2.jpg

The onion really holds the smoke smell and taste, which is cool. Throw everything into the food processor and blend. Then cook for awhile. Then blend again.

sauce2.jpg

Then the pork finished.

This was the first time I really got it right. I finally gave it enough time with the right temps and the fats and everything melted in - and now I get what all the fuss is about.

The bottom part stuck to the grate just a bit and the meat was falling off the bone so much this is what I got:

pork3.jpg

And here it is pulled:

shredded.jpg

The bark on it was so tasty. Never had that before. It's the fat and juices and spices all come together in a tasty coating... yum!

I didn't get processing shots of this, but you'll see the end shot here in a second - I also did stuffed cherry bombs. I stuffed them with a mixture of cream cheese, bleu cheese, and pork sausage.

Ready to serve:

final.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

You outdid yourself Andy!

Hey, one of your Yellow SB's is starting to show a yellow spot   :woohoo:
Did you put in a good word   ;)  ?

PaulG said:
You outdid yourself Andy!

Hey, one of your Yellow SB's is starting to show a yellow spot   :woohoo:
Did you put in a good word   ;)  ?

Thank you very much Paul!  Enjoy that Trin. SB when it ripens - those are good ones!

Ok, I'm going to try to throw these up quick.

Wide shot of the garden:

garden.jpg

Here are some Bahamian Goats (Pic1)

goats.jpg

A couple of shots for Spicegeist

First, the plant from the seeds he sent. These were supposed to be yellow 7 x fatalii:

crossplant.jpg

And the pods:

spicegeist.jpg

As I've mentioned before, from what Charles said, I think this is a Brainstrain cross, because these suckers are hot! The plant is healthy and produces well.

And more selections from my labeling process. These are some that I picked in the last couple of days:

Trinidad Morova (pepperlover)

morova.jpg

Yellow Manzano (Hooda)

manzano.jpg

7 Pot Brain Strain Yellow (pepperlover)

brainstrain.jpg

7 Pot Congo SR Gigantic (pepperlover) This really is a big pod!

7potcongo.jpg

Here it is on the inside:

7potcongo2.jpg

Finally, a 7 Pot Orange (pepperlover). I have two plants of these and they produced two different pods. The ones on the left are more yellow. The ones on the right turn orange, but begin with purple on the shoulders and then move into an orange. Interesting.

7potorange.jpg

That's what I've got - thanks for stopping by!

Back