• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Pulpiteer 2013 Grow Log

I've been meaning to get to this for quite some time. I've put off planting about as long as I can stand it, so in the next week or so I'll get seeds in the soil. Until then, I wanted to get the glog started for this year. I've been reading and learning about an alternative agriculture system called "permaculture" so I'm playing around with that. I hope to show not only the growth and cooking in this glog, but also some permaculture inspired stuff to share what I've been learning because it's pretty awesome.

I looked over my 2012 beginning and I was way ahead last year, but then I ran out of room, so I've waited about a month in hope that will pay off.

So a couple of things. First, I produced a bit of pepper jelly, hot sauce, and powder last year, most of which I gave away as Christmas presents. Here's a shot of most of it.

product.jpg

And here is a close up of the sauces. I made the labels at home and had them printed at Staples. They turned out pretty good, and I learned some things doing it all.

sauce.jpg

As far as hot sauces, if you have not tried fermenting, you need to. Amazing. It's hard to describe how it fills out the flavor of the pepper as opposed to mixing it with just other flavors. Anyway, I really enjoyed doing that and hope to improve next year.

Here's a shot of the garden at rest (about a month ago). It's been pretty cold here, I think we're under 15 degrees as I type.

winter.jpg

Ok, on to the plans for beginning things here. I got some help and some scrap wood from a parishioner and constructed a grow area in our basement for the pepper starts. It's a 6 foot by 6 foot square with 5 foot high walls. The bottom looks like a pallet, but that was all done by us. I put some mylar emergency blankets up for walls and a ceiling. They should hold in heat and reflect light. I also had to put in chicken fence to keep the stupid cat out. I pig tailed some vanity lights I bought from Menards, and have 4 105 watt cfl bulbs and some 26 watt cfl's. All of them are 6500k in color temp. This gives me daylight, basically, but not as powerful. I also have 2 shop lights on the top - one a T8 and one a T12. Here's the pics:

growframe1.jpg

growframe2.jpg

And here is my current grow list. I'm trying to cut back a few from last year, but I got so many awesome varieties that it was hard and the cut back was small. Anyway, the plan is for 142 plants, about 60 varieties. Here they are:

Peppers for 2013

Bell Local Greenhouse
Bhut Jolokia Red pepperlover
Bishop's Crown pepperlover
Canary Bell totally tomato
Carolina Reaper pepperjoe
Cherry Bomb mine
Corno Di Toro Red totally tomato
Red Rocoto mine (totally tomato)
Trinidad Scotch Bonnet Red pepperlover
Trinidad Scotch Bonnet Yellow pepperlover
7 pod Congo SR Gigantic pepperlover
7 pot Jonah aji joe
7 Pot Yellow mine
Aji Lemon Peru pepperlover
Bahamian Goat (cappy) pic1
Bahamian Goat aji joe
Burkina Yellow aji joe
Chocolate Cherry Sweet mine (aji joe)
Cili Goronong aji joe
Douglah (w/stinger) mine (aji joe)
Fatalii pepperlover
Giant Mexican Rocoto pepperlover
Golden Treasure Totally Tomato
Harold St. Bart's Habanero aji joe
Jalapeno pepperjoe
Naga Morich pepperlover
Nagabon (THSC) pic1
Orange 7 Pod pepperlover
Orange Manzano stc3248
Orange Thai aji joe
Peach Australian Lantern Hab aji joe
Peach Bhut Jolokia aji joe
Peach Bhut Jolokia mine (aji joe)
Peach Habanero aji joe
Peach Lightning Hab aji joe
Poblano pepperjoe
Purple Bhut Jolokia pepperlover
Saint Barts Marche Market 2012 pic1
Scotch Bonnet (Anguilla Farmer's Mkt Red 2012) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (Belize City 2011) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (FDA Red) (AJ) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (FDA Yellow) (peppermania) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (Jamaican 2007) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (Jamaican Montego Bay 2012) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (P. Dreddie) (cmpman) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (Papa Joe's Mkt) (cmpman) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (St. Marteen, Marigot Mkt, yellow 2012) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (TFM) (peppermania) pic1
Serrano pepperjoe
Tobago Scotch Bonnet pepperlover
Trinidad 7 Pod Brain Strain Red pepperlover
Trinidad 7 Pod Brain Strain Yellow pepperlover
Trinidad 7 Pod Brown pepperlover
Trinidad 7 Pod Primo pepperlover
Trinidad Morovas pepperlover
Trinidad Scorpion - Original Strain pepperlover
Yellow 7 Pot x Fatalii F2 Spicegeist
Yellow Cardi Scorpion romy6
Yellow Manzano hooda
Chinese 5 Color aji joe
Peach Lantern Hab (small) aji joe

Alright, I'll add more info as I go, thanks for checking this out!

Wow Andy,
That's quite a number of seeds to be planted in one round. They will be jumping like "popcorn"
I like the organized setup.

Thanks Greg - I hope they'll be jumping. This is my nervous time... am I actually going to have any plants...

Whoa that's a lot of seedlings ... is there enough room in your basement grow area?
BTW Great success in 2013 grow and love dat cinnamon trick up your sleeve ;)

I hope there's enough room. It's a 6x6 foot area with plenty of height. And as we get into the spring I've got a small greenhouse to assemble that will help with some of the bigger ones.

I'm looking forward to see the results of your hours of work. Your set-up looks so nice and neat. Made me re-think my whole set-up! I'll keep watchin along.

Me too :pray: . Just waiting for some hooks to pop out...

Hey congrats on the up coming addition! the Labels on your sauce looks awesome! Best of luck this year!

Thanks Brit - good to hear from you! Best of luck to you as well!

Hi Andy,

After reading through your glog I started to look at the permaculture scene and found some really interesting info that can be applied to everyday life and easy to do. I love the idea of having fish and using the water for the plants so for my birthday/fathers day (only 4 days apart) I think i might be getting a fish of some sort - not sure what yet as it's up to the wife to pick.

The cinnamon idea is genius, I have already raided the spice rack and will be applying a sprinkle of cinnamon to the plants later. I have the in-laws coming to stay this weekend and they are sleeping in the same room as the plants. The room can get a bit whiffy with the smell of soil so hopefully the cinnamon will do the job. Just hope it don't work too well and they never leave...ahhh..lol

Glad to hear it was of some help! Yeah the permaculture stuff is really a problem solving methodology in many ways. It's a way of thinking as much as anything that covers not only agriculture, but also house design and construction, heating, all sorts of stuff. Working with nature and not against her. I don't remember where I read the idea for cinnamon, but it was probably on this board. I had problems with dampening off prior to that, and it worked well last year. I hope it does help the smell for your in-laws :surprised:

Here's an update...

I've got hooks! Hooray! :dance:

hook.jpg

Here is what I have (germinated/planted):
Bhut Jolokia Red 2/6
Bishop's Crown 6/6
Carolina Reaper 5/6
Cherry Bomb 5/6
Red Rocoto 3/6
Trin. SB Yellow 3/6
7 Pod Congo SR Gigantic 1/2
7 Pot Yellow 3/3
Bahamian Goat Pepper 2/2
Burkina Yellow 3/3
Chocolate Cherry 1/3
Cili Goronong 1/3
Golden Treasure 3/3
Jalapeno 2/2
Naga Morich 2/2
Orange 7 Pod 2/4
Orange Thai 4/4
Peach Habanero 3/4
Peach Lightning Hab 1/3
St. Bart's Marche Mkt 4/4
SB Anguilla Farmers mkt red 4/4
SB Belieze City 2/4
SB FDA Red 2/4
SB Jamaican 2007 1/4
SB Jamaican Montego Bay 2/4
SB P.Dreddie (cmpman) 1/4
Serrano 2/2
Tobago SB 2/4
Brain Strain yellow 2/3
Trin. 7 Pot brown 2/3
Trin. Morovas 3/3
Chinese 5 color 1/2
Peach Lantern Hab small 2/2

Note: the "planted" category is the number of pots. I put 2 seeds in a pot. The germinated is basically the number of pots with at least one sprout. Also, I have several that have not had any germinate yet.

They began popping on Tuesday, the 5th, and I was super relieved to see the first one. I was afraid I screwed something up. Just that fear you have when you have all the seeds in and just have to wait for the magic to happen...

I tried the trick with the damp paper towel in a plastic baggie to germinate some extra seeds I had. It worked pretty well:

germ.jpg

The Orange Thai's earn the fastest starter award. Even though it was the Trinidad Morovas that hooked first, the thai's passed them and are off to a great start.
orangethai.jpg

I've only had one helmet head so far (knock on wood), and here it is:

helmet1.jpg

I resisted the strong urge to operate with tweezers. Instead I sprayed it a few times a day to keep it moist, and look what happened:

helmet2.jpg

One cotyledon popped out! Took care of itself - awesome! I know they don't all do that, but I bet some of you are like me and want to fiddle with it too early.

All right, next move is to figure out which ones are moving to the basement with the increased light, but decreased heat. Oh yeah, speaking of heat... I had to put a little space heater in my office to get the temps up to the mid 80's. I think that really helped germination - as opposed to the mid to upper 70's.

Thanks for stopping by!

Nice numbers Andy! More patients than me for sure...I would've ripped its head off for sure!

Thanks Shane, I only showed the one I was patient on, not the others I played around with...

Update time...

Ok, I'll first start with a cautionary tale of overwintering...

Last fall I dug, sprayed off, sprayed with organic insecticide, and potted into clean dirt some over winters. I thought I was thorough enough. Nope. Stinking aphids.
So, the lesson - I think it was Greg (Pic1) who had an assembly line of buckets that he systematically dunked his bare root plants under solutions for 30 seconds at a time. Seemed extreme. He has no aphids. I do.

So, I've quarantined these in the basement shower stall where they get no light and are away from every thing else. I don't want aphids on my new plants, even if these have to die. My hope is that they'll be dormant until I can get them outside. They'll still have a good head start if any of them live. So lesson learned.

overwinter.jpg

I've had some good germination going on these past few days (results below). Things are starting to move now and I feel less nervous. And, I had my first 3 cotyledon sprout (in fact I had a couple). They're good luck, right?

tricot.jpg

Also, spicegeist sent me some seeds of a cross between a yellow 7 and a fatalii. They're F2, so we'll see how they turn out. I've got two that sprouted!

7xfatalii.jpg

Today I worked on moving most of the sprouts down to the basement growing area where there is more room, unfortunately it's a bit cooler, but there is more light. This will be their home for awhile.

newhome1.jpg

And another shot

newhome2.jpg

Here are my germination numbers from yesterday (germinated/planted)

Bhut Jolokia Red 5/6
Bishop's Crown 6/6
Canary Bell 0/6
Carolina Reaper 6/6
Cherry Bomb 6/6
Corno Di Toro Red 2/4
Red Rocoto 5/6
Trinidad Scotch Bonnet Red 6/6
Trinidad Scotch Bonnet Yellow 5/6
7 pod Congo SR Gigantic 1/2
7 pot Jonah 2/2
7 Pot Yellow 3/3
Aji Lemon Peru 4/4
Bahamian Goat (cappy) 0/1
Bahamian Goat 2/2
Burkina Yellow 3/3
Chocolate Cherry Sweet 3/3
Cili Goronong 2/3
Douglah (w/stinger) 0/2
Fatalii 2/4
Giant Mexican Rocoto 0/3
Golden Treasure 3/3
Harold St. Bart's Habanero 2/4
Jalapeno 2/2
Naga Morich 2/2
Nagabon (THSC) 1/3
Orange 7 Pod 4/4
Orange Manzano 0/4
Orange Thai 4/4
Peach Australian Lantern Hab 0/3
Peach Bhut Jolokia 2/2
Peach Bhut Jolokia (OP mine) 4/4
Peach Habanero 4/4
Peach Lightning Hab 2/3
Poblano 1/2
Purple Bhut Jolokia 2/3
Saint Barts Marche Market 2012 4/4
Scotch Bonnet (Anguilla Farmer's Mkt Red 2012) 4/4
Scotch Bonnet (Belize City 2011) 4/4
Scotch Bonnet (FDA Red) (AJ) 3/4
Scotch Bonnet (FDA Yellow) (peppermania) 1/4
Scotch Bonnet (Jamaican 2007) 2/4
Scotch Bonnet (Jamaican Montego Bay 2012) 4/4
Scotch Bonnet (P. Dreddie) (cmpman) 4/4
Scotch Bonnet (Papa Joe's Mkt) (cmpman) 4/4
Scotch Bonnet (St. Marteen, Marigot Mkt, yellow 2012) 1/4
Scotch Bonnet (TFM) (peppermania) 0/4
Serrano 2/2
Tobago Scotch Bonnet 3/4
Trinidad 7 Pod Brain Strain Red 3/3
Trinidad 7 Pod Brain Strain Yellow 2/3
Trinidad 7 Pod Brown 3/3
Trinidad 7 Pod Primo 2/3
Trinidad Morovas 3/3
Trinidad Scorpion - Original Strain 1/2
Yellow 7 Pot x Fatalii F2 2/3
Yellow Cardi Scorpion 2/3
Yellow Manzano 2/4
Chinese 5 Color 2/2
Peach Lantern Hab (small) 2/2

total 156/210

Thanks for stopping by!

Congrats on the excellent germination!!!

Reading over your growlist, it looks like the year of the Scotch Bonnets for you. I've had 0% germination on mine, which is a bummer. It's one of the new to me varieties that I was really looking forward to this season.

I'm growing a few of the things on your list, so it will be nice to compare how they do as the season goes along.

Great #s, great pics and most of all great lesson learned...even though it was a tough one. Wonder if its too late to dunk them now??? Hope they survive, but if not you'll still have more than enough plants for the season! All I could think about as I potted up and put mine out in the real world that those little pests won't be too far in my future...maybe I'll dust them all with some DE this weekend to delay the inevitable.

Impressive numbers on the germination. I've had good luck with this stuff on aphids. The active ingredients are sulfur and pyrethrins, which means it qualifies as organic, I think.

On your recommendation I tried that stuff, and it seems to be what took out the space alien unidentifiable pests that were making themselves too comfortable on my plants!

On your recommendation I tried that stuff, and it seems to be what took out the space alien unidentifiable pests that were making themselves too comfortable on my plants!

I've had to re-treat one plant once for aphids, but it sure seems to work for me. I want to make my own version, with elemental sulfur from the co-op and chrysanthemum extract, but for now I have the commercial stuff. A little googling turned up this site, which some may find interesting.

I realized I should clarify this for my germination numbers too. I put two seeds in a pot for almost every pot. I just counted the number that had at least one seed germinate. I had some with one, and others with two. So this is not a strict germination percentage, but it does tell me how successful this method is for me.

Great Germ rates so far!

Love all the photos too.

I figure those 3-Cot Seedlings are like a four leaf clover :) Gotta be good luck! :) I had 2 of them so far, and I was quite pleased.

Thanks Chris. That's what I'm thinking... just like a 4 leaf clover... cool looking if nothing else.

Congrats on the excellent germination!!!

Reading over your growlist, it looks like the year of the Scotch Bonnets for you. I've had 0% germination on mine, which is a bummer. It's one of the new to me varieties that I was really looking forward to this season.

I'm growing a few of the things on your list, so it will be nice to compare how they do as the season goes along.

Thanks - yeah I'm loaded up on the bonnets and very excited. I've never been able to grow a true bonnet for one reason or another and I've tried off and on for several years. I feel like they are my white whale. I loved the trinidad bonnets I got last year, so I hope I enjoy these new ones just as much. Greg was a great help - giving me an awesome set of seeds for those.

Sorry to hear about your germination. I had mine in my home office and ended up putting a small space heater in there and keeping the temps in the low to mid 80's and that seemed to do the trick. Oh yeah, I also soaked the seeds overnight in half strength chamomile tea.

I'm just impressed you can grow stuff in that tough climate Bonnie - it will be good to see how they turn out in different places. Best of luck to you!

Great #s, great pics and most of all great lesson learned...even though it was a tough one. Wonder if its too late to dunk them now??? Hope they survive, but if not you'll still have more than enough plants for the season! All I could think about as I potted up and put mine out in the real world that those little pests won't be too far in my future...maybe I'll dust them all with some DE this weekend to delay the inevitable.

I could dunk them, but to be honest, just keeping them dormant is very easy. I'm not sure how many actually lived, the roots may have dried out. After the whole aphid thing I was not on top of their soil moisture. If one or two survive to make it outside, I'll feel lucky. And they'll still have a great jump on the others. In fact, I'm thinking that for overwinters, I may just go to straight hibernation until it's summer time. That way I can have a plant that is several years old with low maintenance. Also, with all the new growth around, I don't want to bring those aphids back to life... stupid things. I need to watch that video of the aphid killers again that you posted on another glog.

Great list! Germ rates are really good. Your off to a great start.

Thanks! It's starting to roll a little bit now. Now to just get them with some big, fat true leaves and I"m set...

Impressive numbers on the germination. I've had good luck with this stuff on aphids. The active ingredients are sulfur and pyrethrins, which means it qualifies as organic, I think.

I used a similar product from bonide on them that was sulfur and pyrethrins. Yeah, it's organic, but still seems rough on the new growth (my leaves shrivel up after a strong dosage). And it takes multiple sprayings, so while it's a last resort, I decided to just put them in the dark rather than do all that. Organic or not, it's still a poison (or it wouldn't kill things), and I'd rather not be covering my plants with that if I don't have to. Also, if I miss just one stupid aphid, then it might spread to my seedlings, and then watch out. Not sure how I'd stop that. What I want to do is have one or two live dormant, then send them outside where some wonderful bugs will eat the aphids and possibly even torture them while doing it.

thanks for stopping by everybody!

Great news to hear...!
Liking your germination rates too!!
Keep up the great glog (now I just have to work on mine!)

OH!, almost forgot...will look up some info for yah on aphid pest control (I know I have some, though it was made for use on orchids...shouldn't really matter though).

LOL!
Didn't take long for me to find that info...
So here it is with web links for more info, hopefully will help yah!

This first one is from an Orchid Pest & Diseases PDF Info file...
Symptoms and Treatment of Sap Feeding Insects: Aphids​
Symptoms: Aphids are sucking insects that attack buds, flowers and new growths and transmit disease from plant to plant. Buds and flower may fail to open and leaves may have a sticky deposit.
Treatment: Wash aphids away from the plant with a jet of water. Plants can be sprayed with a pesticide like Malathion, Orthene or Safer Soap using the product in accordance with label instructions.
Miscellaneous: The honeydew excreted by aphids and other sucking insects is attractive to ants and is an ideal medium for sooty mold. When sooty mold is present, inspect the plants for aphids, mealybugs, scale and mites.

Some links to look into:

http://voices.yahoo.com/top-ten-eco-friendly-tips-aphid-control-1841498.html

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/homemade-aphid-control-a-natural-way-to-kill-aphids.htm

http://organicgardening.about.com/od/pestcontrol/a/spraysforaphids.htm

Thanks for all the great info allaKAZAAM! I'm just keeping my overwintered plants all sequestered in a dark spot. I'm really not sure how many are still living, but I'll keep the roots damp and hope some are just sleeping. Once it warms up here, I'll get them outside, then we'll see where we go. It has to warm up here first. We got more snow today, so... ugh...

Update time:

First, some stuff from the grow area downstairs:
Here is a yellow Trinidad Scotch Bonnet - with some true leaves.

trinsb.jpg

Next up, a pair of yellow 7's in one cup. Will I cull one or find another pot...

yellow7.jpg

The Orange Thai's are growing the fastest thus far. I really liked these thai peppers, by the way, good to make into a sriracha like sauce.

orangethai.jpg

The Chinese 5 colors look really nice when starting out. I have them pretty much as an ornamental, and they look awesome when they're filled with peppers.

chinese5.jpg

Now to the upstairs sprouting area - here is one that is ready to make the move downstairs - a Scotch Bonnet (P. Dreddie via cmpman via Pic1) I'm not sure if these are the P. Dreddie "select" - I keep meaning to ask Greg that...

dreddiesb.jpg

And here's an issue: I have not been able to get a sprout out of any of my Giant Mexican Rocotos. I do have this beginning of a germination, but it's been sitting like this for several days. I don't know what to make of it. I'm also having issues with the orange manzanos.

mexrocoto.jpg

I've had more germination since last time. I won't list all of what has germinated, but I will say that I have 180 out of 210 containers with plants in them (sometimes 1 or 2). I planted 2 seeds per container, so that's not a true germination rate. It is, however, a success rate of sorts. Not too bad. I planted some more seeds last week (I think I mentioned) and just got some hooks today, so I've got 3/6 Mustard habs, 2/4 chocolate habs, 1/6 not Scotch Bonnets (that my friend loved from last year, I didn't, but I'm humoring him) and 0/4 pablanos (not sure what's up with them this year).
Then I also soaked and planted some more FDA yellow Scotch Bonnets the other night (Saturday, I think). So I may have three more of those.

Finally - I've had another project going. For those of you in the south, this is my attempt at making you jealous (since you've got the year round grow thing going). We've tapped 2 Maple trees in our yard (a quarter acre city lot, mind you) and I'm attempting to make Maple Syrup. So far, 15 gallons of sap collected.

sap1.jpg

Here is what the tap looks like. Got it from a friend at church. Simple, drill a hole, stick the tap in, attach plastic tubing, run it to a jug.

sap2.jpg

My son and I collecting

sap3.jpg

Boiling it down in a roaster out in the garage. You need 40 gallons of sap for 1 gallon of syrup. Or 10 gallons for one quart. If this turns out, it'll be pretty cool. And if you've never had real Maple syrup, just that imitation stuff, you honestly do not know what you are missing. Once you get the real stuff you'll never be able to go back.

sap4.jpg

Alright, thanks for stopping by everyone!

Wow, maple syrup on the way... that's great! Nice list, guess you like scotch bonnets? I'll be curious to find out which version you like best...

Awesome...keep us posted on the syrup. As far as your stuck seed issue. I had a similar issue with a seed I germed from a seed collected from a sweet pepper we found at the store. Took forever to finally stand up....and even then it didn't do much. I shuffled the trays this weekend and moved it to a tray that had just been watered, so I decided on a rare top watering and it just fell over exposing the root of the problem...or lack of to be exact. It had a reverse seed helmet...seed boot??? I dunno but the root was still in the seed case. I pulled it off snapping the root but stuck it back in the ground anyway. Jury is still out. Good luck figuring yours out.

Everything else is moving along real nicely!

Three cheers for the maple syrup!!!!

I have orange manzano seeds...10 of them that have been sitting around in helmets forever!
I sure hope at least a couple of them get out of of there.

Great set-up, beautiful kids, home made sweet & spicy maple syrup, awesome midas cichlid! oh, and the plants look good too! We have Midas cichlids running rampant in our canals down here. I have a 30 gal set up with some Honduras Red point cichlids. We also have Salvini cichlids which in summer I take the 6' net down to Dania cut-off canal and scoop up a few for the aquarium.

Good luck with your arsenal of chilllies brother!

I'm just about to start some of those Giant Mexican Rocotos. It will be my first attempt at pubescens. One article I read suggested a surface sowing technique, only covering the seed once the radicle emerges. Another suggested a weak tea soak between wet paper towels in a refrigerator for 24 hours before sowing. I may try some of each.

Love the idea of homemade maple syrup. I remember as a kid visiting a... whatever you call the place and process of cooking down the sap. I can still remember the fragrance... and the taste of the pure maple sugar candy they had, too.

Wow, maple syrup on the way... that's great! Nice list, guess you like scotch bonnets? I'll be curious to find out which version you like best...

I've only tried the Trinidad Scotch Bonnets, but wanted to grow some real bonnets for several years. Then I found out that a true bonnet is tougher to come by than I thought, and there are people who really love them, and I'm just fascinated by the whole thing. I'm curious to see what I'll like best too. Excited to see how they turn out.

Awesome...keep us posted on the syrup. As far as your stuck seed issue. I had a similar issue with a seed I germed from a seed collected from a sweet pepper we found at the store. Took forever to finally stand up....and even then it didn't do much. I shuffled the trays this weekend and moved it to a tray that had just been watered, so I decided on a rare top watering and it just fell over exposing the root of the problem...or lack of to be exact. It had a reverse seed helmet...seed boot??? I dunno but the root was still in the seed case. I pulled it off snapping the root but stuck it back in the ground anyway. Jury is still out. Good luck figuring yours out.

Everything else is moving along real nicely!

The syrup is taking forever, but I think it's working. That's interesting that it had "seed boot." I'll see where this one goes, but I'll keep my eyes open for that. I hope yours makes it. Did you have any tricks for getting those orange manzanos to pop? For some reason I'm having troubles getting mine to germinate.

Three cheers for the maple syrup!!!!

I have orange manzano seeds...10 of them that have been sitting around in helmets forever!
I sure hope at least a couple of them get out of of there.

I hope yours get past the helmet head stuff too. They are such an awesome pepper.

Great set-up, beautiful kids, home made sweet & spicy maple syrup, awesome midas cichlid! oh, and the plants look good too! We have Midas cichlids running rampant in our canals down here. I have a 30 gal set up with some Honduras Red point cichlids. We also have Salvini cichlids which in summer I take the 6' net down to Dania cut-off canal and scoop up a few for the aquarium.

Good luck with your arsenal of chilllies brother!

Thanks Steve! That's amazing that you've got those cichlids running loose in Florida. I figured Texas, being they're Central American cichlids, but didn't know about Florida. Makes sense though. I do know that for African Cichlids, a lot of the bigger wholesalers that stores buy from up North are located in Florida. You've got the right climate apparently. I looked up the Salvini cichlids, they look pretty awesome. Nice color to them in the book I have. Always good to find another cichlid lover!

I'm just about to start some of those Giant Mexican Rocotos. It will be my first attempt at pubescens. One article I read suggested a surface sowing technique, only covering the seed once the radicle emerges. Another suggested a weak tea soak between wet paper towels in a refrigerator for 24 hours before sowing. I may try some of each.

Love the idea of homemade maple syrup. I remember as a kid visiting a... whatever you call the place and process of cooking down the sap. I can still remember the fragrance... and the taste of the pure maple sugar candy they had, too.

Let me know how that works Sawyer, I'm really interested. I really want these to grow, but am having a tough time with it. I've got some in the damp paper towel/baggie thing going now. Not sure how long I wait for those - do I wait until the cotys are out of the shell before putting them in dirt?
Just tasting the bit of the sap that splashes on top of the roaster and dries quicker is pretty sweet. Our garage is starting to smell pretty good too. Amazing thing to get something like this from trees...

Back