• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Pulpiteer 2013 Grow Log

I've been meaning to get to this for quite some time. I've put off planting about as long as I can stand it, so in the next week or so I'll get seeds in the soil. Until then, I wanted to get the glog started for this year. I've been reading and learning about an alternative agriculture system called "permaculture" so I'm playing around with that. I hope to show not only the growth and cooking in this glog, but also some permaculture inspired stuff to share what I've been learning because it's pretty awesome.

I looked over my 2012 beginning and I was way ahead last year, but then I ran out of room, so I've waited about a month in hope that will pay off.

So a couple of things. First, I produced a bit of pepper jelly, hot sauce, and powder last year, most of which I gave away as Christmas presents. Here's a shot of most of it.

product.jpg

And here is a close up of the sauces. I made the labels at home and had them printed at Staples. They turned out pretty good, and I learned some things doing it all.

sauce.jpg

As far as hot sauces, if you have not tried fermenting, you need to. Amazing. It's hard to describe how it fills out the flavor of the pepper as opposed to mixing it with just other flavors. Anyway, I really enjoyed doing that and hope to improve next year.

Here's a shot of the garden at rest (about a month ago). It's been pretty cold here, I think we're under 15 degrees as I type.

winter.jpg

Ok, on to the plans for beginning things here. I got some help and some scrap wood from a parishioner and constructed a grow area in our basement for the pepper starts. It's a 6 foot by 6 foot square with 5 foot high walls. The bottom looks like a pallet, but that was all done by us. I put some mylar emergency blankets up for walls and a ceiling. They should hold in heat and reflect light. I also had to put in chicken fence to keep the stupid cat out. I pig tailed some vanity lights I bought from Menards, and have 4 105 watt cfl bulbs and some 26 watt cfl's. All of them are 6500k in color temp. This gives me daylight, basically, but not as powerful. I also have 2 shop lights on the top - one a T8 and one a T12. Here's the pics:

growframe1.jpg

growframe2.jpg

And here is my current grow list. I'm trying to cut back a few from last year, but I got so many awesome varieties that it was hard and the cut back was small. Anyway, the plan is for 142 plants, about 60 varieties. Here they are:

Peppers for 2013

Bell Local Greenhouse
Bhut Jolokia Red pepperlover
Bishop's Crown pepperlover
Canary Bell totally tomato
Carolina Reaper pepperjoe
Cherry Bomb mine
Corno Di Toro Red totally tomato
Red Rocoto mine (totally tomato)
Trinidad Scotch Bonnet Red pepperlover
Trinidad Scotch Bonnet Yellow pepperlover
7 pod Congo SR Gigantic pepperlover
7 pot Jonah aji joe
7 Pot Yellow mine
Aji Lemon Peru pepperlover
Bahamian Goat (cappy) pic1
Bahamian Goat aji joe
Burkina Yellow aji joe
Chocolate Cherry Sweet mine (aji joe)
Cili Goronong aji joe
Douglah (w/stinger) mine (aji joe)
Fatalii pepperlover
Giant Mexican Rocoto pepperlover
Golden Treasure Totally Tomato
Harold St. Bart's Habanero aji joe
Jalapeno pepperjoe
Naga Morich pepperlover
Nagabon (THSC) pic1
Orange 7 Pod pepperlover
Orange Manzano stc3248
Orange Thai aji joe
Peach Australian Lantern Hab aji joe
Peach Bhut Jolokia aji joe
Peach Bhut Jolokia mine (aji joe)
Peach Habanero aji joe
Peach Lightning Hab aji joe
Poblano pepperjoe
Purple Bhut Jolokia pepperlover
Saint Barts Marche Market 2012 pic1
Scotch Bonnet (Anguilla Farmer's Mkt Red 2012) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (Belize City 2011) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (FDA Red) (AJ) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (FDA Yellow) (peppermania) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (Jamaican 2007) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (Jamaican Montego Bay 2012) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (P. Dreddie) (cmpman) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (Papa Joe's Mkt) (cmpman) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (St. Marteen, Marigot Mkt, yellow 2012) pic1
Scotch Bonnet (TFM) (peppermania) pic1
Serrano pepperjoe
Tobago Scotch Bonnet pepperlover
Trinidad 7 Pod Brain Strain Red pepperlover
Trinidad 7 Pod Brain Strain Yellow pepperlover
Trinidad 7 Pod Brown pepperlover
Trinidad 7 Pod Primo pepperlover
Trinidad Morovas pepperlover
Trinidad Scorpion - Original Strain pepperlover
Yellow 7 Pot x Fatalii F2 Spicegeist
Yellow Cardi Scorpion romy6
Yellow Manzano hooda
Chinese 5 Color aji joe
Peach Lantern Hab (small) aji joe

Alright, I'll add more info as I go, thanks for checking this out!

Let me know how that works Sawyer, I'm really interested. I really want these to grow, but am having a tough time with it. I've got some in the damp paper towel/baggie thing going now. Not sure how long I wait for those - do I wait until the cotys are out of the shell before putting them in dirt?
Just tasting the bit of the sap that splashes on top of the roaster and dries quicker is pretty sweet. Our garage is starting to smell pretty good too. Amazing thing to get something like this from trees...

I couldn't tell you on the cotys. From the old days, I would plant as soon as the radicle was showing, but those were others. I think for what I'm going to try, with the 24 hr cold tea soak, that won't be an issue. I'll just soak, then plant.

I have a very large sugar maple out by my driveway and I've often thought of tapping it, but have never acted on the thought. I had to trim it last spring so a semi could pull in and the wounds practically poured sap out for a few days. Made a real mess on a windshield.

... ... Last fall I dug, sprayed off, sprayed with organic insecticide, and potted into clean dirt some over winters. I thought I was thorough enough. Nope. Stinking aphids.
So, the lesson - I think it was Greg (Pic1) who had an assembly line of buckets that he systematically dunked his bare root plants under solutions for 30 seconds at a time. Seemed extreme. He has no aphids. I do. ... ...
Bar none one of the best tutorials here, hats off to Greg (Pic1) I read that last year, one of the first things I read joining THP and briefly thought the same as you ... how extreme, but it's not and it's effective. In December I did it to a plant that was getting killed with bug attacks and it came back just fine. One step I did not do but probably a good one up north is the seven spray as I regularly eat pods off all the plants and poison don't touch them yet. Instead I use different strengths of soapy water. That said if there was no other solution and it was going to be all winter, I might not have a problem with it.

Now back to every ting else I've read and seen ... Wow what can I say that hasn’t been said, loving the grow, pictures and ideas your pointing out. So I’ll just kick up my feet and enjoy this “Magic Bus” ride!

»» Foobar2k ::: The Who - Magic Bus The Who On Tour (1968) - 07 - Magic Bus ::: 0:39/3:21 (••••••••••) ::: 421 kbps «« ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

Andy, pretty cool with the maple drip. Can you reduce down for a more concentrated flavor.........dehydrate for powder/sugar.?
Great updates with photos. I'm trying to catch up on some reading today...I guess I missed some chapters here lately.

I couldn't tell you which P.Dreadies I sent you. I had seeds from Chris which were labeled the"select" and also had a pack from Cappy (PRF) that produced a slightly diffent shape pod. Both were very tsty with a notch up in heat compared to the FDA's and TFM's.
Heck, I don't remember what all I sent you but I hope the Michigan soil brings out the best of them.

I couldn't tell you on the cotys. From the old days, I would plant as soon as the radicle was showing, but those were others. I think for what I'm going to try, with the 24 hr cold tea soak, that won't be an issue. I'll just soak, then plant.

I have a very large sugar maple out by my driveway and I've often thought of tapping it, but have never acted on the thought. I had to trim it last spring so a semi could pull in and the wounds practically poured sap out for a few days. Made a real mess on a windshield.

I'll have to keep an eye on your cold tea soak. I wonder why that works... I soaked mine for about 24 hours in a chamomile tea at room temp. hmmmm.
As far as tapping a sugar maple - you want below freezing nights and warm days. That makes the sap run up into the branches in the day, and back into the roots at night. Apparently it picks up more sugar when it goes back into the ground.

Bar none one of the best tutorials here, hats off to Greg (Pic1) I read that last year, one of the first things I read joining THP and briefly thought the same as you ... how extreme, but it's not and it's effective. In December I did it to a plant that was getting killed with bug attacks and it came back just fine. One step I did not do but probably a good one up north is the seven spray as I regularly eat pods off all the plants and poison don't touch them yet. Instead I use different strengths of soapy water. That said if there was no other solution and it was going to be all winter, I might not have a problem with it.

Now back to every ting else I've read and seen ... Wow what can I say that hasn’t been said, loving the grow, pictures and ideas your pointing out. So I’ll just kick up my feet and enjoy this “Magic Bus” ride!

»» Foobar2k ::: The Who - Magic Bus The Who On Tour (1968) - 07 - Magic Bus ::: 0:39/3:21 (••••••••••) ::: 421 kbps «« ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

Thanks WalkGood - while The Who is a cool band to listen to, perhaps it should've been an oldie - like "Sugar Shack" :surprised:

Great start Andy, yeah sucks about the overwinters but the babies are looking great! Hum, maple, will we be seeing a Yellow Scorp, maple syrup something Hot Sauce this year? Would give a whole new meaning to burning the pancakes :)

Thanks RM - a Yellow Scorp maple hot sauce does sound good....

Andy, pretty cool with the maple drip. Can you reduce down for a more concentrated flavor.........dehydrate for powder/sugar.?
Great updates with photos. I'm trying to catch up on some reading today...I guess I missed some chapters here lately.

I couldn't tell you which P.Dreadies I sent you. I had seeds from Chris which were labeled the"select" and also had a pack from Cappy (PRF) that produced a slightly diffent shape pod. Both were very tsty with a notch up in heat compared to the FDA's and TFM's.
Heck, I don't remember what all I sent you but I hope the Michigan soil brings out the best of them.

The ones you sent me were the ones you had from Chris, so they may be the "select" which is cool. I'll have to go back and read P Dreddie's stuff, but I know I read through it once as to how that came to be. I love the stories behind the strains. Reminds me of one time at a Mennonite bed and breakfast when the couple showed my wife and I jar full of "goose beans." They were an heirloom bean that her grandpa's family started when the killed a goose and found that bean, freshly eaten and unidentified in its stomach. They grew it out and kept the strain alive. They had kept it for generations. Neat stuff.

You can make maple sugar, and I have half a mind to try something like that, but I am not going to have a ton of syrup. You can also make maple candy of all sorts. I actually made a maple flavored pudding from scratch last week (from syrup we already had). I'd have to learn how to do it - and that is really the draw for me, to be honest. It would be cool to figure out how to make maple sugar.... but we'll see. One step at a time.

The Manzanos are never a problem for me??? I know a bunch of folks having all kinds of problems getting them running. Try just planting a bunch in a couple small pots and placing them under your grow lights. They will take a while that way, but I get almost 100% germ with them. I have one more plant I could send you, but its already got some big boy pants on...so it would be tricky.

The Manzanos are never a problem for me??? I know a bunch of folks having all kinds of problems getting them running. Try just planting a bunch in a couple small pots and placing them under your grow lights. They will take a while that way, but I get almost 100% germ with them. I have one more plant I could send you, but its already got some big boy pants on...so it would be tricky.

I don't know what the deal is. I've got some yellow manzanos that I'm getting ok germ rates from, but nothing from the orange manzanos and giant mexican rocotos. I'm starting to take it personally. Not sure what the deal is. I've got some orange manzano seeds in a baggie and damp paper towel, not sure if I take them out when the root pokes out, or if I wait for the coty's to emerge. Have you done this method?

Yeah...I have used that method but had better luck in plain soil. If using the paper towel method, when the root shows put it in dirt.

I agree with Shane. The more developed a seedling becomes before going into the dirt, the greater the chance for damage.

Thanks guys - I just threw some seeds in the soil that had roots poking out, although only one was the manzano. We'll see.

Another great grow with yet more great information!

I'm continually learning here, I really need to start to take notes!

Good luck on your grow!

Scott

Thanks Scott - this forum is a great place to learn a bunch of stuff! Glad you stopped by!

Ok, a quick update on the syrup. Today I decided to finish off a batch that had 12-13 gallons of sap boiled down.

Here it is in the pot right after I put it on the stove.

syrup1.jpg

And as I was cooking it down, Rocket Man's idea kept running through my head. So I pulled out a couple of frozen peach bhuts...

syrup2.jpg

And put them in one smaller jar to infuse the syrup. I'm hoping for just a little kick along with the sweetness. I've gotta tell you, sure it's a lot of boiling it down, but wow does this taste good! Tomorrow I'll get a little taste with the chili syrup. Yummm....

syrup3.jpg

Wow!
What an awesome idea :)
Peach Bhut Maple Syrup sounds downright delicious!!!

Did you cut the pods at all, or use them whole?

Thank you! Again, it was RocketMan's comment that got me thinking - to give credit where it's due, you know... I just sliced the peppers so the syrup could get in there and work around a bit. I'll take them out in awhile, when it's got some zing.

Watcha say Pastor Andy?

Your grow is looking good. When do you start sticking plants in he ground?

Thank you! Plants don't go into the ground here until sometime at the end of May. Many people wait until Memorial Day weekend. I watch the forecast and try to get them in sooner if I can.

**edit**
Ok, I just taste tested some of the pepper syrup. Wow. If I had enough trees to tap and the equipment, I'd have to sell it. Wonderfulness!

If you wanted to make some all you'd have to do is buy some real maple syrup, heat it up to almost a boil. then slice up whatever pepper(s) you want and set it in a glass jar with the peppers over night and remove in the morning. Highly recommended.

WOOHOO!

Gald it came out good Andy. How much heat was transfered over after just and overnight soak, now you have my thinking :)

WOOHOO!

Gald it came out good Andy. How much heat was transfered over after just and overnight soak, now you have my thinking :)

It had a good kick to it. Of course I had two peach ghosts in less than a pint of syrup. Also, when I strained it out, I strained it through cheese cloth, the peppers sat on top of the cheese cloth - they almost looked candied - and I squeezed the syrup out of them and through the strainer, so I'm sure that quite a bit of the heat came from that. You'll have to try it and get a sense for it, then adjust for heat accordingly. This syrup would be a good one for people who like spicy food, but it's too hot for most folks. Easy to tweak though. And the flavor is great. You'll have to try it.

It had a good kick to it. Of course I had two peach ghosts in less than a pint of syrup. Also, when I strained it out, I strained it through cheese cloth, the peppers sat on top of the cheese cloth - they almost looked candied - and I squeezed the syrup out of them and through the strainer, so I'm sure that quite a bit of the heat came from that. You'll have to try it and get a sense for it, then adjust for heat accordingly. This syrup would be a good one for people who like spicy food, but it's too hot for most folks. Easy to tweak though. And the flavor is great. You'll have to try it.

I was thinking it would probably candy the peppers!
If left in there long enough, I bet those would be pretty awesome too!

Back