• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Pulpiteer 2015 - New Year, New Hopes

I've been working towards 2015 for a bit now, so I figured I might as well get the glog fired up.

Quick recap: I'm a pastor was moved by the denomination last summer (happens every so often in my profession), so 2014 was not great. The soil in the new garden spot needs a ton of work. So this year is a year I hope to move forward.

One benefit of the new place is a 10 by 10 (or so) area in the basement that I can use as a plant room.  I've been working on that lately.

The room was previously used as a small wood shop, so it has a large table and a simple, homemade wooden shelving set up.  Here is a shot of it with the lights temporarily in place for my over winters.  I've already taken out one level in order to have a large growing area in the middle.  Also, on the far end, you can see I began a simple extension.  I wish I had a picture of how it was when I first started.  There were narrow shelves on that far wall.  I tore all of that out.  Also, there was a ton of paint and stuff on the shelving unit, that I had to move elsewhere.

growstep1.jpg

I got some insulation from a big box store (Menards), and began cutting and duct taping it in place.

growstep2.jpg

I attached the vanity lighting to 1 1/2 by 3, then screwed it in from the top so the screw head was flush with the upper level, and the lighting was as far up as it would go.

growstep3.jpg

Insulation in, lights on. On the top level I have 2 four foot t8 bulbs. 6500k color. The heat from the CFL's on the mid level make the top compartment warm. I hope warm enough for seeds to sprout.

growstep4.jpg

Since I want to be able to have loose plants on the mid level, but don't want water seeping into the wood or down into the lights on the bottom level, I took some cardboard from our packing boxes and made a custom fit box for that second level. I then lined the box with 2 garbage bags I sliced up the sides in order to make plastic sheeting.

growstep5.jpg

For the bottom level, I added insulation on the floor, since I figured cold air would come up from that. I also bought an 8 bulb, 4 foot, T5 grow light, which you can see hanging from the top of that bottom level. Finally, I thought I'd put a little 10 gallon fish tank in the bottom. This will provide humidity and when I get water from it to water the plants, it'll be full of nitrogen. Oh, and in the tank are 2 Firemouth cichlids.

growstep6.jpg

Also on the bottom level, to the right, I put in an exhaust fan. I got 2 of these little fans. They were on sale because they were out of season. I cut a custom hole in the insulation and stuck it in. I know, it looks factory made, right?

growstepfan.jpg

And here is the whole set up. Maybe you can see the second exhaust fan. I put it in the upper level to the right to blow across the seedlings when the come up. Also, my thought was that I could push the hot air to the left where there is a gap running down the side wall, and maybe the bottom fan would pull it all the way to the lower level and push out the cold air.

growstep8.jpg

Of course, you need to cover the front in order to keep the heat in. I took some large cardboard boxes and covered the front with Mylar emergency blankets.

growcover.jpg

I put two screws on each side on the very top, and ran some wire through the top of the card board wall. And I hang them on that to hold it up.

growlatch.jpg

Ok that's my 10 picture limit.  I'll try to make it back tomorrow to cover my overwinters and the seeds I just put down, as well as the soil rehab project. 

It's been fun to get this going.  Hopefully it'll pay off.

Thanks for stopping by!

Re-reading your earlier posts, I think there may be a connection between the wilting plants and the Fungus Gnats. The larvae feed on the fungus and the adults can spread it. You might want to half-bury a cube of raw potato in the soil of any pot you suspect of having them. Apparently it draws the larvae like a magnet and after a couple of days the bottom of the cube will be covered with the little wigglers. As far as the wrinkled leaves on otherwise healthy-looking plants... if you've ruled out aphids and mites, it could just be the cold. I have my seedlings down in an unheated cellar, and I remember seeing something similar on the more cold-sensitive varieties. Once things warmed up a bit it ceased to be a problem.

Keep up the good work, and good luck with your cloning efforts!

Thanks Rick, you know, I half wondered about the fungus gnats.  They came in with one of the soils I used, I think the Baccto is the culprit.  I've had fungus gnats before, but they seem to be worse this year.  I'll have to try the potato thing. 

With the wrinkled leaves... I don't have aphids.  I'm not sure how to rule out mites.  I'm watching the rest of the leaves, especially the ones coming in next to see it they get better or not. 

I use Mosquito Dunks for the fungus gnats. I use collected rain water for the gals, it's kept in 2.5 gallon plastic containers (I have a bunch) and add it to the containers. I also bottom water only when the plants get true leaves. Even when I bottom water I put dunks in the water. I had tons of gnats last year; none this year...

Mites in my experience tend to hit the top leaves first; and the damage looks like rust colored damage. They are NO FUN!

This site covers just about every method I've read of for dealing with fungus gnats.  I've already seen one in the germination area, even before anything germinates.  I wonder what the shelf life is for a Mosquito Dunk.  I've got some left over from last year (or maybe the year before).  I'm also going to try the cinnamon and maybe the H2O2.

+1 on the Mosquito Dunks for Fungus Gnats... or "Mosquito Bits" granules sprinkled on top of the soil if you're top-watering. Mites aren't such a problem here in New England... we get spider mites, but the winter cold knocks 'em back they aren't a problem before the friendlies like Lacewings and Ladybug beetles make their appearance. Still, it's nice to know when it's time to get the loupe and look for them and Scott should know the signs.

I haven't been able to move on that potato idea or the mosquito dunks. I still mean to, but...
Last week and a half has been rough.  Friday, I discovered a leak from the well to the pressure tank and had to figure out who to call since I'm in a parsonage, which is kind of like renting, with your landlord being your parishioners, who are a committee, so it's confusing.  Anyway, got that taken care of, but that pressure tank is in the grow room, so all was thrown off.  Then a couple from church lost their 50 year old son, who had battle mental illness for years, and i had the funeral on Tuesday, so it was busy leading up to that. Then on Wednesday I reached down into the rabbit cage, which I brought in due to cold, and I guess it was a weird angle because something popped in my back.  Well, after two trips to the ER and no pain relief at all, I was not able to walk or even stand, I was able to make it into a spinal clinic due to connections with parishioners at my former church.  They gave me an epidural and filled my cavity with steroids to reduce inflamation, and it's finally starting to feel ok.  They think I herniated a disk or something. MRI's to come...  I have pain now, but today I'm walking a bit with and without a walker.  Let me tell you, walking is the best.  I'm also highly medicated, but I'm not sure how much that is even touching the pain.  Anyway, that's why I've been away.  It's been nuts.  But I snapped some pictures before the wife got home from church so I don't get in trouble for moving around too much.  What she doesn't know, right?

A galapagonese

galap.jpg

Here's a CAP481 Guatamala pubescens

guat.jpg

And a CAP273 Peru Pubescens
peru.jpg

A Praetermissum

praeter.jpg

A big shot of some of the transplants that have been bumped up for about a month

bigshot.jpg

Similar group with a level shot

level.jpg

A group of scotch bonnets on the lower level, who were recently transplanted. A few varieties of bonnets here:

bonnets.jpg

Here are some seedlings, getting ready for transplant. These are mostly brain strains from Cappy - very healthy plants!

seedlings.jpg

And a scotch bonnet I got from the guy at the indoor grow shop - he calls it the Schneider farm Scotch bonnet apparently from a specific farm down there. I hope these grow out cool and I can save seeds and pay back some of the folks who have been so generous to me.

schneidersb.jpg

Alright, that's all for pictures.

Oh, I should put in a quick word - I had a few tings happen with either shipping or germination rates from a few vendors and I have to say that customer service and all around experience from pepperlover.com and buckeye peppers are the absolute best. I've had good luck with some other folks as well - I mean Aji Joe always is a pleasure to work with, but this season, pepper lover and buckeye were just fabulous. Small business, great service, great selection. Support them when you can so we can continue to have folks like that servicing us.

Anyway, time to go take some narcotics!
Thanks for stopping by!

Andy hope you get to feeling better prayer's for the family who lost there son & yourself.
Those are some nice looking plants you have there interested in the Schneider farm Scotch bonnet!
I was looking at the hippy seed company and they have or should I say had there sold out a Costa Rican Scotch Bonnet.
They say it's is a bit sweet the characteristic Scotch bonnet flavour .
It looked like a habanero to me but I know some bonnets do being closely related.

Andy, I "liked" your post for the plant shots and kudos for PL and BE (and AJ).  Not so much for the well problems (I feel your pain) and the back problems (knocking on wood here).  Seems like THPers have been having a run of issues.  I hope your back improves dramatically and soon.  In the meantime, enjoy the medication, but not too much.

Andy,

Sorry to hear about the back, hopefully you get back to normal soon. Keep us up to date on the results from the MRI, hopefully its nothing serious and your up on your feet in no time. Had a similair issue about a month ago where my back, knees, elbows, and feet were in excusiating pain, got worse over the course of a few days. Then woke up one morning and I couldnt walk or stand, after a few days in the hospital, found out that my white blood cells were attacking my tendons, (or that was their best guess) but after a few days on the anti-inflamatories I was feeling much better.

The plants look amazing, love that galapagonese.  Have you started any tomatoes over there?

tctenten said:
Feel better Andy, back pain is one of the worst. Buckeye peppers is a favorite of mine, quick courteous service.

Thank you - Dr. appointment tomorrow so we'll see how it goes.

Plantguy76 said:
Andy hope you get to feeling better prayer's for the family who lost there son & yourself.
Those are some nice looking plants you have there interested in the Schneider farm Scotch bonnet!
I was looking at the hippy seed company and they have or should I say had there sold out a Costa Rican Scotch Bonnet.
They say it's is a bit sweet the characteristic Scotch bonnet flavour .
It looked like a habanero to me but I know some bonnets do being closely related.

I'm interested in that Schneider Scotch Bonnet.  I wonder how it will look and taste, we'll see!  Hopefully it'll be cool.

Sawyer said:
Andy, I "liked" your post for the plant shots and kudos for PL and BE (and AJ).  Not so much for the well problems (I feel your pain) and the back problems (knocking on wood here).  Seems like THPers have been having a run of issues.  I hope your back improves dramatically and soon.  In the meantime, enjoy the medication, but not too much.

Got off the narcotics today. Just taking Ibuprofen for anti inflammatory.  And ice.  I need to ice it again. We caught another issue on the pipe going into the pressure tank and it got fixed today.  Caught it just in time.  The threads were corroding and about to go.  Not a bad fix, so all in all not too painful. 

Devv said:
I too hope your back gets better. I know that's no fun.

Plants are looking saweet!

Yep, back pain sucks.  Just wondering what it means for my future of gardening.  Hopefully it'll all be manageable.

stickman said:
Sorry to hear of your back problems Andy... definitely UNlike that! Get better soon guy, we're all pulling for ya!

Thanks - I walked without a walker today.  Man I have a new appreciation for walking and just getting around.  Moving the right direction, I think.

Spicegeist said:

Very nice.  Plants are looking great...

Thank you! They're getting bigger and I'm running out of space.

beerbreath81 said:
Andy,

Sorry to hear about the back, hopefully you get back to normal soon. Keep us up to date on the results from the MRI, hopefully its nothing serious and your up on your feet in no time. Had a similair issue about a month ago where my back, knees, elbows, and feet were in excusiating pain, got worse over the course of a few days. Then woke up one morning and I couldnt walk or stand, after a few days in the hospital, found out that my white blood cells were attacking my tendons, (or that was their best guess) but after a few days on the anti-inflamatories I was feeling much better.

The plants look amazing, love that galapagonese.  Have you started any tomatoes over there?

Wow, that sucks. Our bodies are kind of miracles and there is so much that can go on and wrong with them.  Give you a new appreciation for your health.  Glad the meds straightened it out.  I'm hoping there will be a workable plan for me.  I feel good about the different doctors I'm seeing.

Thanks on the galapagonese.  I'm happy that's doing well.  I won't start tomatoes until April or something like that.  They get big and then leggy and I have no room, so I'm holding off.  I have so much non pepper stuff to start, I need to save room.  Actually the weather needs to warm up so I can get a green house up to handle overflow!

I did a ton of potting up tonight.  I'll have to do pictures at a later point.  Still lots of work to do down there.

Thanks for all the well wishes and thanks for stopping by!

Pulpiteer said:

Thanks! I think I got it from Lowe's or some garden center like that.  It is a Bonide product.  Here's a link to it on Amazon.

Wow, let's hear an update on this product from a couple of weeks a go. If this stuff works as advertised, it is a ton cheaper than the rooting hormones sold at the hydro shop.

Andy, plants are looking real good this year.

Be merciless with fungus gnats.....little bastadges.
The rest of the grow looks phenomenal, something to distract you from the back issue I hope, and narcs oughta help with the stand and stare time as you will them to GROW!

Jeff H said:
Wow, let's hear an update on this product from a couple of weeks a go. If this stuff works as advertised, it is a ton cheaper than the rooting hormones sold at the hydro shop.

Andy, plants are looking real good this year.

Well... it worked really well for a seedling.  The rocoto I am trying to clone is a year old, and seems to be moving slower, if at all.
I pulled out the stem, it was still alive, and I think there are some very small root hairs developing (the white part on the very bottom).

clone1.jpg

I thought I'd keep trying, because more Giant Mexican Rocotos would be awesome and why not. So I put that stem back in and clipped two more. Besides the rooting hormone, I added some of the foliar spray into the perlite as well.  We'll see how it goes.

clone2.jpg

clone3.jpg

And fingers crossed...

PaulS said:
Hope you get sorted out soon dude and you can get to your grow area wirth no problems.

Your plants are looking really nice.
Thank you! I am doing much better this week. I'm still stiff and sore, but not bad at all compared to last week.

Plantguy76 said:
Hey Andy just popping by to say hope your doing better and best wishes to you and your family
Thanks! Moving the right direction, I think. 

gnslngr said:
Be merciless with fungus gnats.....little bastadges.
The rest of the grow looks phenomenal, something to distract you from the back issue I hope, and narcs oughta help with the stand and stare time as you will them to GROW!
Still haven't gotten to them, but the bottom watering is thinning them out, I think. They get really bad when I've got the seedlings covered by the greenhouse roof and the humidity stays high.

Ok, a few more pictures. Work is destroying me right now. Lots of long term work on staffing and building things, plus Lent and normal craziness and back hurting time. So, pepper time is less than I want by the time I'm done seeing my wife and kids.

I have done some potting up (with all my plants, I feel like that keeps being a need)
Here are some 7 Pot Mustard from Sawyer ready for new shoes:

potup1.jpg

Along with some others - they get put into the 3x3's

potup2.jpg

And in their new home in the lower level

potup3.jpg

And some went into the newly lit upper level:

upper.jpg

I put the Aji Pinguita de Mono in a larger pot because it keeps growing

monkey.jpg

And finally a Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate (Buckeye Pepper) which is just a pretty plant right now.

choc.jpg

Alright - thanks again for all the well wishes guys. I have a PT appointment next Thursday - hooray! Should be a good time.

Thanks for stopping by!

I have spent tons of time potting up plants over the last few days, and have pretty much run out of the 3x3's and room.  I had to shift over onto the newest grow area with smaller pots to pot up into, but I'm almost on to knowing about how many plants I'll have and how many I'll have available for the pepper draft.  As of now, I have 364 pepper plants I have potted up, and I'll keep roughly 140 for myself, which means I'll have plenty to give away for the draft.  That part is great.  The tough part now is room...

Anyway, here are some pictures:

Some of my older plants in the middle section:
plants.jpg

I think I'll actually move these out of the prime section and into the side part to slow down their growth a bit, and move some of the younger ones into that spot to make sure their growth is compact.

Here's a Guatemalan Pubescens from Coheed - pretty looking plant. Wonder if I'll get any pods from it this year.
guat.jpg

Here is a (no trademark don't sue me) Reaper from either pepperlover or Buckeye peppers, I have Reaper seed from both

reaper.jpg

I have the upper level full now - here it is:

upper1.jpg

upper2.jpg

And finally, the grow shelf is full! This shot does not include the newly added side section (from a few posts back), but that is going to have peppers too, so I'll get shots later.

full.jpg

Ok, that's what I've got.

Thanks for stopping by!

Back