• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Pulpiteer 2015 - New Year, New Hopes

I've been working towards 2015 for a bit now, so I figured I might as well get the glog fired up.

Quick recap: I'm a pastor was moved by the denomination last summer (happens every so often in my profession), so 2014 was not great. The soil in the new garden spot needs a ton of work. So this year is a year I hope to move forward.

One benefit of the new place is a 10 by 10 (or so) area in the basement that I can use as a plant room.  I've been working on that lately.

The room was previously used as a small wood shop, so it has a large table and a simple, homemade wooden shelving set up.  Here is a shot of it with the lights temporarily in place for my over winters.  I've already taken out one level in order to have a large growing area in the middle.  Also, on the far end, you can see I began a simple extension.  I wish I had a picture of how it was when I first started.  There were narrow shelves on that far wall.  I tore all of that out.  Also, there was a ton of paint and stuff on the shelving unit, that I had to move elsewhere.

growstep1.jpg

I got some insulation from a big box store (Menards), and began cutting and duct taping it in place.

growstep2.jpg

I attached the vanity lighting to 1 1/2 by 3, then screwed it in from the top so the screw head was flush with the upper level, and the lighting was as far up as it would go.

growstep3.jpg

Insulation in, lights on. On the top level I have 2 four foot t8 bulbs. 6500k color. The heat from the CFL's on the mid level make the top compartment warm. I hope warm enough for seeds to sprout.

growstep4.jpg

Since I want to be able to have loose plants on the mid level, but don't want water seeping into the wood or down into the lights on the bottom level, I took some cardboard from our packing boxes and made a custom fit box for that second level. I then lined the box with 2 garbage bags I sliced up the sides in order to make plastic sheeting.

growstep5.jpg

For the bottom level, I added insulation on the floor, since I figured cold air would come up from that. I also bought an 8 bulb, 4 foot, T5 grow light, which you can see hanging from the top of that bottom level. Finally, I thought I'd put a little 10 gallon fish tank in the bottom. This will provide humidity and when I get water from it to water the plants, it'll be full of nitrogen. Oh, and in the tank are 2 Firemouth cichlids.

growstep6.jpg

Also on the bottom level, to the right, I put in an exhaust fan. I got 2 of these little fans. They were on sale because they were out of season. I cut a custom hole in the insulation and stuck it in. I know, it looks factory made, right?

growstepfan.jpg

And here is the whole set up. Maybe you can see the second exhaust fan. I put it in the upper level to the right to blow across the seedlings when the come up. Also, my thought was that I could push the hot air to the left where there is a gap running down the side wall, and maybe the bottom fan would pull it all the way to the lower level and push out the cold air.

growstep8.jpg

Of course, you need to cover the front in order to keep the heat in. I took some large cardboard boxes and covered the front with Mylar emergency blankets.

growcover.jpg

I put two screws on each side on the very top, and ran some wire through the top of the card board wall. And I hang them on that to hold it up.

growlatch.jpg

Ok that's my 10 picture limit.  I'll try to make it back tomorrow to cover my overwinters and the seeds I just put down, as well as the soil rehab project. 

It's been fun to get this going.  Hopefully it'll pay off.

Thanks for stopping by!

Plantguy76 said:
Andy went to the home&garden show here and there was some people who collect maple sap to make maple syrup .
I told them about taping the white maples and they told me some people tap black walnuts and make syrup out of sap.
It is supposed to have the flavor of the black walnut

One of my buddies tapped a walnut tree last year, I think. That was the first I heard of that.  If I remember right you can also tap a birch... I think.  It's a fun project for sure.

D3monic said:
Those all look great, nice work. 

Thank you! Now it's just keeping everything going until I can get them out into the greenhouse.

Runescape said:
Plants look awesome...nice job

Thank you - they're coming along!

PaulS said:
Thats some garden you've got there dude! It looks like you are in the middle of nowhere, america is such a big place compared to little old england!
I've never seen anyone tap sap at home before, I love this forum, we all learn so much from each other.
Your grow area is looking awesome as usual!

It's funny, we're just outside of town, but in the middle of farms, so yeah it looks desolate.  But there are houses across the street.  It's nice to have all the room, but the deer can be a challenge.
I just started doing the sap a few years ago, and it's a nice project and produces wonderful syrup!  And I totally agree - this forum is a wealth of various information!

PaulG said:
Your grow room shelf is impecccable, Andy.  
Nice to see it full of green, healthy plants,
especially that flat of MoAs!

I suspect you are as eager for plant out as the rest of us!

Thanks Paul! I'm excited for the MoA's for sure.  I hope they all grow better than they did last year.  I'm getting eager for plant out, or at least the time I can take some of my bigger plants into the greenhouse to free up space.

Sawyer said:
Your plants are looking really great, Andy.

That sounds like a similar problem I've had removing the dome from germination flats.  Going from essentially 100% relative humidity to something a whole lot less is really stressful for plants, even without the elevated temperatures.  Now I prop up one end of the dome for a few days before removing it completely.  Problem solved.

Thanks John. You must be right on the humidity, because they got fried.  For kicks I just threw in the topped part of a Galapagoense and another stem from the Aji de Mono.  They are doing ok after a day or two, so we'll see.  I did not put a top on them and I have them sitting outside the grow shelf where they are just getting some indirect light.  We'll see if they take root.

Ozzy2001 said:
Can't wait to see how the syrup turns out. Plants look great too.

They syrup is coming along.  I'm excited to see if it works too.  And then to infuse half of it with some peppers.

Devv said:
Wow Andy the garden and the MoA's look great!

Glad the "cover crop" is gone ;)

As for the back, I hope you find a few basic stretches and exercises that keep you going. I did, and I keep doing them (since '87).

No doubt it's great to have the snow melted! I can at least sense that spring is on the way, so that's a good thing!
I've had a few PT appointments and it seems to be working.  I hope the stretches and stuff keep me going.  I'm hopeful.

Pulpiteer said:
Thanks John. You must be right on the humidity, because they got fried.  For kicks I just threw in the topped part of a Galapagoense and another stem from the Aji de Mono.  They are doing ok after a day or two, so we'll see.  I did not put a top on them and I have them sitting outside the grow shelf where they are just getting some indirect light.  We'll see if they take root.

That reminds me, a couple of years ago I was rooting some hops cuttings I got from ARS-GRIN.  I had them in a jury-rigged humidity chamber with one end stuck into some sort of root cubes, Oasis, I think.  Almost all of the cuttings rooted, but a few them rooted at every set of nodes above the cube.

You've really got a lot of irons in the fire Andy! Plants are looking great, Maple syrup on the go... sorry the first round of cuttings didn't make it, but I'm sure you'll figure it out. Did you get any of the snow that fell up your way this week? My Mom's visiting my kid sister and her family in Eau Claire, WI and she says it snowed for a few days.

stickman said:
You've really got a lot of irons in the fire Andy! Plants are looking great, Maple syrup on the go... sorry the first round of cuttings didn't make it, but I'm sure you'll figure it out. Did you get any of the snow that fell up your way this week? My Mom's visiting my kid sister and her family in Eau Claire, WI and she says it snowed for a few days.

I'm visiting Eau Claire this summer, any recommendations of places to visit in the area?
Sorry for off topic question.

PaulG said:
Glad to hear you are feeling like you are on the mend, Andy!

Thanks!

Sawyer said:
That reminds me, a couple of years ago I was rooting some hops cuttings I got from ARS-GRIN.  I had them in a jury-rigged humidity chamber with one end stuck into some sort of root cubes, Oasis, I think.  Almost all of the cuttings rooted, but a few them rooted at every set of nodes above the cube.

I am still having a bit of trouble getting them to root.  The Galapagoense is doing ok, but the Aji de Mono is not so much...

clone.jpg

stickman said:

Hey Rick - the snow missed us, and I'm grateful! I think the lake pushed that storm just north of me.  The Great Lakes do all sorts of things to our weather as you can imagine.
And the Maple syrup is coming!

PaulS said:
I'm visiting Eau Claire this summer, any recommendations of places to visit in the area?

If you end up going through the Upper Peninsula I can help out!

Just a quick update.  I am in the midst of Holy Week and the worship stuff really starts up tomorrow.  I have worship services Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday - so I've been very busy prepping as you can imagine.  But I found time for some quick pictures.

A parishioner had a greenhouse he wasn't using anymore, and was very gracious and is letting me use it:

greenhouse.jpg

And another parishioner gave me a coupe flowers I'd never heard of, called Aconite. They are really early bloomers. She said she's had them bloom in February, which is crazy. She got them from her mother's cousin who lives a few miles away, so I've got a bit of a story with them too. I'm excited to have them!

aconite.jpg

And a third gift from a parishioner... I've been cooking away at the maple sap as it comes in. It got so cold I just let it sit in the cold garage for several days because there was no more sap. Anyway, another parishioner had all he wanted, so he brought some of his sap to me, probably 12 - 15 gallons of it and it comes from a mixture of Maples on his property, including some Sugar Maples, so it's good stuff. The white containers are two of the 4 he dropped off.

sap.jpg

Pepper stuff is all pretty much the same. Here's a group shot of some. I tried to get some of the yellowing that is going on. It's a tough balance when they get this big in the 3x3 pots and run out of water, but you can't overwater... I need to do some potting up when I get a break and when it's warm enough to get some bigger plants in the greenhouse.

yellow.jpg

Here's another group shot - this one has some of my wilds in it - the Praetermissums... you can see them in there, I think. They are getting tall.

wild.jpg

And finally, I started some Echinacea, two colors. I hope to put them out with the fruit trees and shrubs in the front since they are a perennial.

echinacea.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

Great update, Andy.  Your plants are looking really healthy.  I think hops are like tomatoes in that they'll root at the drop of a hat.  Peppers aren't so easy.  I've been able to get a couple to root just sitting in water, but then failed to transfer them successfully to soil.

Nice score on the greenhouse, sap, and flower.

I'm glad to see from the picture the flower your parishioner gave you is Winter Aconite and not true Aconite, aka, Monkshood.  I might have questioned her motives otherwise.

Your last photo reminds me I need to start some Echinacea, too.

Pulpiteer said:
 If you end up going through the Upper Peninsula I can help out!

Thanks for stopping by!

Sweet score on the greenhouse dude it looks a decent size too :)
I'm in Eau Claire for 10 days, Green Bay for 2 days and Chicago for 4 days. So we planned to explore the area north of Eau Claire/Green Bay, I guess that includes the Upper Peninsula. Any tips would be awesome they would have to be wheelchair friendly, I can do fields/semi rough paths. No rush though, whenever you find some spare time. Thanks dude.

The greenhouse looks great;  seems to have pretty good head
room with the hoop roof instead of a peak roof.  And the fertilizer
machine next to it is money!  I'm looking forward to seeing how 
your garden grows this summer.

Sawyer said:
Great update, Andy.  Your plants are looking really healthy.  I think hops are like tomatoes in that they'll root at the drop of a hat.  Peppers aren't so easy.  I've been able to get a couple to root just sitting in water, but then failed to transfer them successfully to soil.

Nice score on the greenhouse, sap, and flower.

I'm glad to see from the picture the flower your parishioner gave you is Winter Aconite and not true Aconite, aka, Monkshood.  I might have questioned her motives otherwise.

Your last photo reminds me I need to start some Echinacea, too.
You know, I was looking up Aconite and discovered the same thing, although the lady called it winter Aconite, I hadn't realized the importance of the "winter" part. That article is crazy - a gardener dying from just brushing it?!

PaulG said:
Good stuff, Andy - you have a lot of irons in the fire, brother!
Thanks Paul, and yeah, I've got a few things going on... some busy stuff, and some fun stuff.  

PaulS said:
Sweet score on the greenhouse dude it looks a decent size too :)
I'm in Eau Claire for 10 days, Green Bay for 2 days and Chicago for 4 days. So we planned to explore the area north of Eau Claire/Green Bay, I guess that includes the Upper Peninsula. Any tips would be awesome they would have to be wheelchair friendly, I can do fields/semi rough paths. No rush though, whenever you find some spare time. Thanks dude.

Thanks - it's like a 6x8 or something. It is pretty big. If you get far enough east, you'll have to check out Palm Books State Park. It's got the state's largest natural spring and you can take a raft across the whole thing and check out the giant trout swimming below. There shouldn't be any problem at all with the wheel chair, it's laid out pretty nicely.
That's a bit east though, I am not too familiar with over by Wisconsin. It's beautiful country up there though!

PaulG said:
The greenhouse looks great;  seems to have pretty good head
room with the hoop roof instead of a peak roof.  And the fertilizer
machine next to it is money!  I'm looking forward to seeing how 
your garden grows this summer.
Yeah, it's a nice size. I should get some plants out in it soon. Yeah, those rabbits are working at creating compost below them. I'm hoping the garden does well too!

PaulS said:

I've never been there myself, but I understand there's a logging museum. I'm sure you can find out as much as I could online.

Is the greenhouse set up at your place Andy? That'd be sweet if so! Your plants look fine to me... mine look much smaller and more yellow, but I know that's because of our cold cellar. They'll perk up when it warms up enough to get them out in full sun.

Any plant so poisonous that the Aleuts use it for Whale hunting would be a caution for sure... good thing the one you have isn't that one. :)

Pulpiteer said:
Thanks - it's like a 6x8 or something. It is pretty big. If you get far enough east, you'll have to check out Palm Books State Park. It's got the state's largest natural spring and you can take a raft across the whole thing and check out the giant trout swimming below. There shouldn't be any problem at all with the wheel chair, it's laid out pretty nicely.
That's a bit east though, I am not too familiar with over by Wisconsin. It's beautiful country up there though!

Thanks  for the suggestion. I'm not sure I'll be that far east but you never know!

stickman said:

I've never been there myself, but I understand there's a logging museum. I'm sure you can find out as much as I could online.
Thanks dude.

Sawyer said:
Happy Easter!
PaulS said:
+1
Hope you're having a good day.

Thanks for the Easter well-wishes guys, I hope your Easters went well too!

It's actually why I haven't been able to post in awhile - Holy Week was incredibly busy, then we had friend from Pennsylvania over last week, which was awesome, but I fell behind in my gardening stuff.

Jeff H said:
Nice green house Andy. When can you safely fill it with plants in Michigan?

All of your babies are looking really nice. You're doing something right.

Thanks! I just put them out there yesterday - it all depends. I have a little space heater with a thermostat that kicks on if it gets too close to freezing in there.  I have my overwinter plants in there now, so they are a bit hardier.  Here's a shot of the plants going into the greenhouse.

ow.jpg

beerbreath81 said:
Busy, busy over there Andy. Sap collecting, greenhouses going up, doesnt take you long to kick it in to over drive. Nice work buddy. Cant wait to see the garden this year.

:cheers:

Yeah, it's been crazy for sure. Work has been hectic too, but this stuff is the stuff that keeps me sane at times.  I'm excited to see the garden this year too.  I am hopeful!

Devv said:
Great scores there Andy. Can't beat a free greenhouse!

Plant looking really nice. It won't be much longer!

Thanks! It's a nice one too.  You're right, it won't be much longer.  Things are waking up outside - it's awesome!

Well, like I said above, I've been crazy busy, but I wanted to put some pictures up today before bed. I have been working all day on potting up plants and getting things situated. I have over 380 pepper plants alone in my grow room, so keeping on top of water and potting stuff up is a big task.

First off, last Monday I did some work with the sap and processing some frozen peppers.

First the sap. I cooked it down and made wonderful maple syrup.
And was sure to infuse some with two Trinidad Morovas and 1 CARDI Scropion.

syrupcook.jpg

Here is all the finished syrup:

syrupfinal.jpg

My freezer was full of peppers from 2013, so I thought I'd process some. I took all the yellows and peaches and chopped and processed them:

sauce1.jpg

sauce2.jpg

I then put them into a plastic sealable container and covered them with cane vinegar. They will age for 1 year.
I will call the hot sauce, "The Yellow Bear" I think:

sauce3.jpg

This past Sunday, a family from church dropped off a huge pile of rabbit manure. They do 4H and raise rabbits, so they had a ton. I'm happy to take it. I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet, but I can't turn this stuff down!

rabbit.jpg

When I was moving the overwinters out to the greenhouse, I was thrilled to find a pod growing on my Bhut Orange Copenhagen.

boc.jpg

As I potted up today, I found plants in various different stages of health and well being. I lost 1 totally as I didn't see it had dried up. Others have lost a ton of leaves, but they have new ones growing in the nodes, so they'll come back. It's tough when they get a certain size and squeeze each other out. I did find some beautiful ones, however.

First, a 7 Pot Barrackpore Chocolate from Coheed - I have several of these and they all look beautiful. Great genetics, I think:

barrackpore.jpg

And second, from pepperlover, a Jonah's Yellow Brain. All of these are stocky, full plants. They look really cool at this stage so I snapped a picture:

jyb.jpg

And that's my limit of 10.

I'm tired and have work tomorrow, so I'll call it a night.
Thanks for stopping by!

Everything looks great. I got some of those Jonah yellow brains also. Really looking forward to them as the parents were 2 of my favorite 7 pots last year. I need to learn about the maple syrup. I have 3 sugar maples ( i think they are sugars ) in my back yard.

Back