• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Putting hot peppers into scrambled eggs

I love cutting up the long green hot peppers and one (or two) orange Hab that I get at the local supermarket, lighting cooking them in melted butter, then throwing in scrambled eggs and making a hot omelet. Anyone else like doing that??

Here's what i do a lot...crack your eggs open, put the innerds in a bowl, start mixing em up, then add some(ok, ok A LOT of) Cape Fear Red Savina sauce to the egg mixture, THEN put em in a pan and add more habs and scramble the snot out of them.

There's snothing wrong with snot. Snot a thing.:)

OK my turn. First you lightly saute the peppers, onions and a smidgen of garlic. In butter over medium heat. Once they get softened you add the eggs. Cook the whites first, moving them around and avoid breaking the yokes. Once the whites are almost done turn your heat down to low and poke the yolks mixing them in with the whites and veggies well. Let it sit for a couple of minutes then flip the whole shebang. Turn the heat off, cover with some cheddar/co-jack, drop a lid on it, wait a few minutes and wallah! The absolute best "soft scrambled" eggs you've ever eaten.

worlok said:
I like garlic and onions but I don't want to start the day with bad breath and farting by lunch time. :lol:

Which is why breath mints and gum was invented. The farting, on the other hand, you'll have to sneak out when no one is around...:P

Scott Roberts said:
Which is why breath mints and gum was invented. The farting, on the other hand, you'll have to sneak out when no one is around...:P

Fart freely and then look at someone else blamingly... ;) Works great, they feel so ashamed. There is no law that you have to shout "Fire in the hole!" first, is there?

Scott Roberts said:

I work in an office full of cubicles, so if I rip I can blame it on one of 5 other people lol. :lol:

Thai chiles, cilantro, salt, dash of fish sauce, drop of sesame oil. Top with sriracha. Throw in any mix of onions garlic and bell peppers/sweet peppers in there.

That's my oddest but tasty breakfast scramble.

I keep it simple. Ham, onion, cheese, and diced habaneros, sprinkled on top of an omelet while it is setting. Keeps the habs crisp, as AJ pointed out.

Seems like pretty much everyone here puts habs in eggs.

My favorite omelette meat is chorizo. Since it's so fatty I never need oil. I fry up the sausage with onions, habs, japs and fresh garlic. You can let that mix simmer on low for an hour or more without it drying out and the house will smell awesome. Mix that with a pot of fresh brewed coffee and your house will smell AWESOME!!!
I personally don't care about pretty omelettes.
Beat eggs with a splash of half-and-half (to make eggs fluffy). Heat the skillet back up to med/high. Pour in the eggs with a liberal amount of the sharpest cheddar cheese you can find and scramble them up. The chorizo will make the eggs turn orange, but when it tastes this good who cares.
If you have heart or cholesterol problems then this may not be the best thing for you. Then again, I'd rather die than eat tofu and rice cakes!

Mmmm, it's not just for breakfast anymore. ;)

staffing said:
Seems like pretty much everyone here puts habs in eggs.

Are you kidding? People here put habs in their hot chocolate.
roflmfao.gif

Txclosetgrower said:
You are both crazy. EVOO rules for sauteeing things. Unless you're cooking over high heat you're not going to burn the oil.

Plus, the flavor of the oil goes great with eggs.

And I sautee the veggies over med med-low for eggs. And not for long either, just til they barely start to soften. You don't wanna scramble eggs over high anyway.
I have to wholeheartedly agree with this. Olive oil, even extra virgin, is perfectly fine for a saute or, in this case, cooking peppers and eggs. You don't want to deep fry with EVOO, but you can use pure olive oil just fine, but at lower temps.

Great. Now i want peppers and eggs. Shit. :(

QuadShotz said:
Yup, watch any cooking show..they all use EVOO these days.

There are millions, maybe billions, of people who eat bugs. That doesn't mean it tastes good or that I'll do a cricket stew.

It's a big waste of good oil IMO. EVOO on a sallad or a sandwich - that is something to write home about!:)

MrArboc said:
There are millions, maybe billions, of people who eat bugs. That doesn't mean it tastes good or that I'll do a cricket stew.

It's a big waste of good oil IMO. EVOO on a sallad or a sandwich - that is something to write home about!:)

I agree, plus good EVOO is too expensive to waste in a frying pan.

I use cheap evoo for saute'ing, good eveoo for salads, sandwiches (paninis omfg mmm), and anything uncooked. But cheap evoo is better than butter imo opinion, but if you like it one way i'm not gonna argue with you guys. I say to each his own, no one is right or wrong when it comes to taste.

Back