• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Putting seeds directly into the soil

Buzz said:
Best of luck, and I highly encourage you to try this method! Saves SO much work! But it will test your patience. The plants won't get big anywhere near as fast as growing in trays under lights. They'll have a lot of space for roots to work on before they establish and take off..... but it'll be well worth it in the end
I will definitely give this a try in a designated area next year. I have plenty of seeds to work with and it will be a great experiment. I'm going to bring 4-6 container plants inside for the winter so I have a good start with them next year and then try planting some seeds and also buying some small plants in the spring. I'm learning allot about gardening from THP and can't wait to see how things turn out next year.

elcap1999 said:
elcap1999, on 03 Jul 2014 - 10:50 PM, said:

I've just been so accustomed to doing them in the trays, I never tried to do them directly into the ground, and didn't want to end up potentially wasting seeds lol

And like I mentioned in my glog, the odds of frost/cold here are quite low, and we may only get one night of frost every 5-10 years
Take an antacid, eat your seeds, eat lots of bran and drink water, poop. Now you have seeds with softened shells and lots of ferts! Perfect for germination! :onfire:  :P  :fireball:

Buzz said:

And then there's that......

I don't even know how to respond to what shamair said lol That, and I am more than slightly averse to having to dig thru my own crap for seeds  :rofl:

But yeah, as soon as I get the new seeds from Judy and soak them overnight, I'll be putitng them directly in the ground, and filling out whichever ones don't sprout with whatever ones from my trays that sprouted.

In fact, I bought a hobby knife kit and stakes to hold the 1/4" driplines in the proper place from Home Depot yesterday, so this weekend, I'll be cutting out 1-2" diameter holes in the fabric to sow the seeds and have the drippers be right over them to make sure they get the proper water, as well as finishing up the insertion of the rest of the individual drippers. With a quick touch-test of the soil, I could tell it wasn't overly hot, despite the ambient temps, direct sunlight and the black coloring of the fabric directly over top of the soil, so I'm fairly confident the seeds won't get cooked, and since the soil is fairly good at absorbing soil, I'm reasonably sure the seeds won't wash away :)

Yup! It's like the whole gluten free thing... People forget that lead, uranium, cocaine and heroin are gluten free too, but that doesn't mean they're healthy for you lol

I still dont understand the gluten free thing, incredibly few people have the disease that makes it necessary to not have it, but for some reason everyone thinks its bad for EVERYONE?

I don't even know how to respond to what shamair said lol That, and I am more than slightly averse to having to dig thru my own crap for seeds  :rofl:

No man you squat and walk down the row..

spysee said:
I still dont understand the gluten free thing, incredibly few people have the disease that makes it necessary to not have it, but for some reason everyone thinks its bad for EVERYONE?
That is a very ill-advised comment. There *is* something to the whole notion of gluten free eating. I won't force it down your throat, though. If you're intent on remaining ignorant, any attempt to inform would be an exercise in futility. Most people don't listen to any ideas that violate the sanctity of self-convenience, anyhow.
elcap1999 said:
I had a thought about something, and wanted to see if anyone had any luck/experience with it before I did anything rash

Has anyone tried to put seeds directly into the soil and try to germinate them that way (and got decent germ rates), instead of the seed tray/transplant route?
Amend the soil with equal parts native sand, compost, and pine bark fines. Put the seeds in the ground. Containers do not exist in nature. ;)

You need to be more worried about caterpillars when planting in-ground. Toilet paper rolls shoved into the ground around your seedlings will help this, until they develop woody stems, at which point, you'll have to worry about the caterpillars and snails defoliating your plants. (sometimes from the softest part of the stem, upwards) But you'd have to worry about that, at any rate...

spysee said:

No man you squat and walk down the row.. 

You are correct. The whole gluten thing has become a joke. If you do not have celiac disease (or gluten intolerance), then gluten is perfectly healthy for you. It is the food industry that has realised that people associate gluten with being bad for you when it is categorically not unless you suffer from celiac disease. We even have beauty products declaring that products are gluten free, it is beyond a joke now.

solid7 said:
That is a very ill-advised comment. There *is* something to the whole notion of gluten free eating. I won't force it down your throat, though. If you're intent on remaining ignorant, any attempt to inform would be an exercise in futility. Most people don't listen to any ideas that violate the sanctity of self-convenience, anyhow.

Sorry solid, but it is not ill advised at all. There is NOTHING to the whole notion of a gluten free diet being a healthy dietary strategy  for non-celiac (or non gluten intolerance) people. The amount of pseudoscience that is bandied around about nutrition annoys the hell out of me (I hold a PhD in nutrition, and research in the area.) Ireland has one of the highest rates of celiac disease in the world and the place I work researches it heavily (I don't personally). Gluten is perfectly healthy for non-celiac people who do not display gluten intolerance. Sorry rant over  :P

Anyway I thought the whole reason peppers produce capsaicin was to stop mammals eating it as the seeds could not survive our digestive tract. An antacid tablet will only neutralise the suface of the stomach acid (the pH below the in the rest of the stomach is still around pH 2 - as it should be!) so I would doubt it would protect the seed. Has anyone actually did this and it worked? It would be interesting to see. 

Koreansoul said:
What's interesting is that they did a study using FODMAPs (a type of diet) as a baseline. It didn't seem to be the gluten that irritated people but things avoiding in the FODMAPs. I think we eat to much garbage in general. 

Yes, I know this study; however, I think the authors concluded that the majority of non celiac gluten intolerance cases were actually down to a type of oligosaccharide (carbohydrate) present in the wheat and not gluten (a FODMAP is a type of carb). They did not argue that celiac disease had nothing to do with gluten (it does).

Celtic67 said:
Sorry solid, but it is not ill advised at all. There is NOTHING to the whole notion of a gluten free diet being a healthy dietary strategy  for non-celiac (or non gluten intolerance) people. The amount of pseudoscience that is bandied around about nutrition annoys the hell out of me (I hold a PhD in nutrition, and research in the area.) Ireland has one of the highest rates of celiac disease in the world and the place I work researches it heavily (I don't personally). Gluten is perfectly healthy for non-celiac people who do not display gluten intolerance. Sorry rant over  :P
Having a PhD doesn't impress me - no offense. There seems to be a problem with objectivity from "professional researchers" on all sides. I say "professional researchers", as every PhD that I have ever met, had never actually done anything tangible, just gathered data, and formed conclusions for everyone else. For every PhD who believes one way, and can cite evidence, there's another one who believes the opposite, and cites to the contrary. So, enough of throwing out badges.

Having benefitted myself from a gluten free diet, I just wonder how long your company has researched the topic, and what their angle is? Even if you are as you say, you've pipped in to support another member who, with no knowledgeable contribution, wholesale shot down the concept. You slipped in right behind them to say, "I'm the expert, and I say it's so, so it's so." Now, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt - could you please post some of your copany's research on the topic? Maybe put it out for peer review? I'd like to understand better why my body responds positively to a gluten reduction, even though it's not supposed to. Or if there is a link to obesity in grain based diets. Or if there is any correlation to the proliferation of diseases via the irritation of the intestinal tract. You get the picture.

The idea that I brought wasn't that gluten is killing everyone, or that it can't be eaten. It was simply that it isn't optimal. We eat so much grain, because it's cheap to produce as food. That doesn't mean that it's ideal. I maintain that there is SOMETHING to idea. Not trying to win any converts. Keep doing whatever you want with your own body. Just don't discourage others. ;)

Rant over - 2.0
Koreansoul said:
What's interesting is that they did a study using FODMAPs (a type of diet) as a baseline. It didn't seem to be the gluten that irritated people but things avoiding in the FODMAPs. I think we eat to much garbage in general.
I use the term "gluten free" as a catch-all. Most gluten-free dietary products are just as much crap as their conventional counterparts, due to the amount of sugar they contain. I have been "gluten-free", but not as such - I just avoided all grains, in general. Whether it was the gluten or something else that I was avoiding, I care not. I just know from actual experience, that my body likes grain free very much. And I did this at a time when I was involved in athletics.

So….. I believe the topic was putting seeds directly into soil? Are your questions about that now answered, elcap? You're all cool and the gang with your post being "repurposed" for a discussion of gluten, or do you have more growing-related questions?  ;)

Funny what can happen in the intervening time when you go to bed ;) And yes, geeme, my questions were answered. I'll be putting the first set of seeds in the soil this weekend, and the rest will be what I get from Judy some time this coming week...

Celtic67 said:
Apologies for dragging it off topic!, I have taken the argument to PMs. I still would be interested to hear if they guy pooping his seeds has any success though  :P

No worries, Celtic, I think several of us have been guilty of swerving a thread off-topic a couple times on the THP forum ;)

Your seeds will be fine. I'm almost in your same climate zone, so if you want any tips, hit me up. I just planted some this morning.

No longer.
Worst germ rates I get are direct sowing.
Unless it's for something you typically sow in large amounts (carrots, for example) everything gets started in the aerogardens first.

When (like an idiot) I pay quite a bit of $$$ for a few seeds, or only have a couple, it makes sense to give them the best chance of germinating.

Of course, I still work for a living, and very long hours, so attention to my plants is not the same as others who work a 9to5 or are retired.

Sucks that you've had bad luck with that method, Gotrox. I guess you could always germinate in trays and then move the seedlings to permanent beds.... but I still think nature's way is best, simply because it was designed that way.

As far as the gluten conversation goes... only an activist could derail a conversation like that. Back to pepper seeds!

Back