• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Quad has had more fun shopping...

QuadShotz

Banned
I had a fun day of shopping today.

My uncle took me around to buy him some stuff on sale for partial payment on the fridge...and I found goodness as well.

Bought this sweet basil plant (actually 4 plants crammed in one pot) for like $3 at WalMart:

S6303850.jpg

It needs some sun and epsom and TLC...but the smell is insane.
It's actually greener than it looks,..it'd been in a hot car for a couple hrs and was kinda enemic...it's better now.

And, at Safeway I found awesome veggies and stuff!

S6303853.jpg

A beautiful Portobello, equally killer Crimini's, Smoked Sun-Dried Tomato's, and a monster Horseradish root.

Portobello: .21 lb for 3.59
Crimini: .66 lb for 1.47
Sun-Dried Tomatoes: 2 for $5.00
Giant Fugly Horseradish Root: .90 lb for 4.54

Oh, and a 2' long Aloe Vera leaf.

I'm gonan see if I can root part of it just for kicks. (ya, I know yer supposed to root the pups, but it's worth a shot)
Those mushrooms are in primo shape, non-bruised or scraped, nice and closed caps..just beauties.

The tomatoes are like heaven...smokey, moist, chewy and sweet..like friggin' vegan candy.

Oh, I'm gonna make some ebil habby horseradish sauce soon here...sandwiches beware...:twisted:

Nice score! Now you gotta make some Hab-Horseradish sauce!

And FYI, Criminis are immature portabellas. Definitely a different flavor though, but the same shroom all the same. Love to grill those bellas with a touch of olive oil and S&P. Nothing goes better with steak!

QuadShotz said:
I'm gonan see if I can root part of it just for kicks. (ya, I know yer supposed to root the pups, but it's worth a shot)

:lol:

Nice quaddy, i expect to see some major food prone with this stuff :P

FiveStar said:
Nice score! Now you gotta make some Hab-Horseradish sauce!

And FYI, Criminis are immature portabellas. Definitely a different flavor though, but the same shroom all the same.

Cool..I never realized that bit about 'em.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agaricus_bisporus
Among English speakers, Agaricus bisporus is known by many names. A young specimen with a closed cap and either pale white or light brown flesh is known as a button mushroom or white mushroom. When the flesh darkens, the immature mushroom is variously known as a crimini mushroom, baby portobello, baby bella, mini bella, portabellini, Roman mushroom, Italian mushroom, or brown mushroom. At this stage of maturation, the cap may also begin to open slightly. In maturity, it is called a portobello (frequently misspelled as portabello, or portobella). The French name is champignon de Paris ("Paris mushroom").

Both spellings of portabella and portobello are used. The Mushroom Council, however, uses the former.

Novacastrian said:
Nice quaddy, i expect to see some major food prone with this stuff :P

Yeah, me too. :D

Hoping it'll cool down some...it was 97F here today...just too hot to cook.

Nice score on the horseroot schlong. I got pequins and habs for two sauce's this weekend. Post piccy's por favor.

Salute', TB.

Heheh, yeah....

If you've never had freshly ground horseradish...Wow...

You should.

This $h1t blows wasabi outa the water and sets it on fire.
arrows-0057.gif

QuadShotz said:
Heheh, yeah....

If you've never had freshly ground horseradish...Wow...

You should.

This $h1t blows wasabi outa the water and sets it on fire.
arrows-0057.gif
You should try fresh Wasabi.

texas blues said:
The real stuff (not the food colored green paste horseradish) is awfully tough to find.

Salute', TB.
Maybe where you live. there's a guy growing it here.

Quad...If I ever make it out your way to visit my wife's Uncle. I definitly want to go shopping with you! I just wish we had cool shops around here.

texas blues said:
The real stuff (not the food colored green paste horseradish) is awfully tough to find.

It's not that hard to find. There is a wasabi farm in Oregon and they sell fresh wasabi roots when available, but they do have 100% real wasabi in tubes for sale. A box of 6 small tubes (1.53 oz) is $19.95. A box of 6 large tubes (5.33 oz) is $27.96. This farm is located in Florence, Oregon. They have found an area that has similar climates that the Japanese wasabi really thrives in. Here is a link to their site. And, yes... I'm thinking about it. But I may check at an asian outlet we have here in town or at Safeway. Safeway usually has a good line of asian spices and such so there is a chance they might have it. I'll let you guys know.
http://www.freshwasabi.com/prodpastetube.aspx

-Gnildir

Thanks for that! I am so there and going to pick some up. Hmmmm..to sushi or not to sushi? Maybe tery salmon this weekend....or no wait! Wasabi Salmon Cakes...with the wasabi mixed into the cake! Could be killer...

Salute', TB.

Yeah, the paste mentioned is pretty common here, but it's kinda expensive for everyday use. I figure between the hab-horseradish and my tin of the powder from the Asian store, I'm doing OK though. :)

The paste/tubes are usually in the Asian foods section.

Back