• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Quad's ToxicWaste Slaw

I love Coleslaw, but it's hard to find a good one.

I made this based on a fave, the KFC coleslaw clone recipe from RecipeZaar.

Recipe:

KFC Coleslaw Knock-Off

8 cups finely diced cabbage (about 1 head)
1/4 cup diced carrot
2 tablespoons minced onions
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup buttermilk
1-1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
2-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice

Cabbage and carrots must be finely diced.
Pour cabbage and carrot mixture into large bowl and stir in minced onions.
Combine the mayonnaise, sugar, milk, buttermilk, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper in a large bowl and beat until smooth.
Pour over vegetable mixture and mix thoroughly. Cover bowl and refrigerate several hours or overnight before serving.

Now, that makes a very nice copy of the KFC Slaw...but that's boring...

I used that recipe, but changed up with:

• 2/3 Napa Cabbage, 1/3 Red Cabbage - I used about a 1/2 a head of Nappa and 1/3 of a head of Red.

Sauce changes:

• Skipped the milk
  • I upped the mayo by about a Tbls.
  • 1/2 Tsp. Stone Ground Mustard
  • 1/4 C. Minced Stuffed Manzilla Olives
  • 1/4 Tsp. ea of Garlic powder, Onion powder, and Dried Dill
  • 1/2 Tsp. ea of Cayenne, Arbol, Habanero and Chipotle powders.
  • 1/4 C. Sambal Olek
  • 1 minced Bhut Jolokia
  • 1 minced CR Hab

Pics:

EBiL Chiles
S6304687.jpg

More evil goes in the dressing
S6304676.jpg

Bigazz 50 y.o. Bowl w/ the carrot, olives and onion.

I don't have a grater for the Cusinart, so I did all the Napa by hand with a 8" chef's Knife..ugh!
The Red Cabbage is firm enough for a box grater though.
Be Careful, it'll stain just about anything...as you will see...
S6304690.jpg

Ends up looking like this:
S6304711.jpg

DOOOD, IT'S FREEKIN' PURPLE TOXIC-WASTE LOOKIN' MAN!!!

AIEEEEE!!!.....MUAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

Oh yeah, it's got that same good taste, but with a lovely burn that makes ya doubt just how much of this ridiculously colored slaw you can eat.... ;-D

Cheers,

QS

I like everything in that recipe except the milk and buttermilk. Olives seem a bit odd, but I wouldn't kick them outta' bed. Looks hot!

I forgot to edit that I skipped the milk...IDK why it'd need it either.

I didn't have buttermilk, so I subbed with slightly off half & half...hell, milk+vinegar=same diff.

I just like the taste of the cocktail olives, adds a nice tart saltyness IMO. :)

I bet it'll be hotter and more solid flavors tomorrow though. :D

QuadShotz said:
I forgot to edit that I skipped the milk...IDK why it'd need it either.

I didn't have buttermilk, so I subbed with slightly off half & half...hell, milk+vinegar=same diff.

I just like the taste of the cocktail olives, adds a nice tart saltyness IMO. :)

I bet it'll be hotter and more solid flavors tomorrow though. :D

Booooo on the slightly off half and half. Crap! I can smell it now and will walk around all day with that like a bad disco song stuck in my head.

I really limit the liquids in slaw. After sitting for 12 hours, the vin and salt really draw out the moisture of the slaw and make it beaucoup wet.

That is a nice base though. I'd take out the olives (and the half and half) and add pineapple.

Naw, the half & half isn't bad, it's just a wee bit old. It worked fine to add the creaminess the KFC version has.

Yeah, it has already drawn out about a good 3/4-1Cup of weird-azz purple liquid...heheh. I'll 'prolly drain it tomorrow so it stays crisper.

I know, normally, I'd draw water out of the cabbage beforehand..but bleh. ;)

Besides, with my teeth, a fully crunchy piece of cabbage could be bad.

I hear ya'. I had a "quad" cleaning done on my teeth a while back. My jaw and teeth hurt for a month. It hurt to chew marshmellows. Ouch!

Forgot to post the pic of after a day or so.

It got even more purple and melded the flavors together really well. Still a nice bit of crunch still.

S6304762.jpg

Looks good ..... but the name sucks !! LoL Toxic Waste anything brings up bad visions ..... To much beer and too many burritos and waking up in the morning with my Dawg saying " Hey man !! That's wasn't me !!@#@$$%!!! "

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Awesome recipe, I plan on making some soon with a few edits of course :D, I agree with omiting the milk, theres going to be enough liquid as it is from peppers and the cabbage

Yeah, the only reason it's there is to emulate the KFC slaw...which is creamy and a bit runny like that.

Either way, it's pretty good stuff. :D

Looks quite tasty Quad. The slightly off half and half did produce a blech reaction I'm afraid.

Dude if crispy lettuce is raising havoc with the toophers it's time to look for some help. Good luck to ya.

QuadShotz said:
Heh, I couldn't think of what else to call it..

What else would ya call evil purple naga-slaw?

I kinda like the name. Then again, I DID name my hot sauce "Biohazard"! :hell:

You need to compile all these recipes and offer it up as a download.

Or are you like me....you love to cook, but rarely ever write the crap down!;)

paulky_2000 said:
I kinda like the name. Then again, I DID name my hot sauce "Biohazard"! :hell:

You need to compile all these recipes and offer it up as a download.

Or are you like me....you love to cook, but rarely ever write the crap down!;)

QuadShotz said:
yeah, liek TB, i rarely use recipes...

Here's my recipe for all dishes......Slam 5 hosky's and 2 shots and start throwing what you got in the cast iron. Tasting regularly as you cook corrects any mistakes.

I did have a FAIL at that technique one time about 30 years ago. Stumbling home after a night at Koots at 5am my roommate talked me into cooking. I made omelets. He asked.."what kind of fish is this?"

Back