• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Queequeg grows stuff, and fixes junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
plants:
if they look crumy, its because they are.
need water and ive been lazy, ill go back out there and water them at some point today.
also got SMASHED last night by some nasty wind...

victim of mine, not the wind. pvc hose sliped off the table and snapped it.
serrano dosent seem to care though. we shall see what happens...

lettuce plants.

cactus plants.

tobacco plants from last winter... i chopped these down to a stump but they grew back. ive not watered these what so ever since last... december ?
no clue why they are alive still.

fertigation machine. in pieces.

my intention here is to shrink the system down substantiall.... such that it fits into the trunk of my car. im going to fold my old design into 2 pieces... and push the frame out into the third dimension.
im also going to add a filtration system. the filtration will require a far more substantial pump, so im going to just mount this onto the frame as well as the filter.

my fancy pump. grundfos up15-58 with a custom plastic head from some other hydronic heating company.

can anyone identify this plug? if so i will kiss your mouth.
spent like an hour on the molex website... im 60% sure its not a molex branded connector.

Mike-Rowe.png

Don't worry about the rot on your cacti. My bridgesiis get a little brown every year and they pull out of it just fine. Keep them dry and the rot will stop advancing. If it is severe enough, it will just bark over during the summer. 
     Speaking of cacti (like I just was), my big macrogonus (that BIG fat fucker) got kind of etiolated over the winter. So I chopped the top off. If you want that one in addition to the other one I keep lying about sending to you  :D , let me know. It's a little weird looking now, but that clone is definitely the one you want if you're trying to grow a hedge. Sooo much bigger than any of the others I grow. Shipping might be a bit on that cutting, though. Lemme know, either way.

yea lets work something out on that macro cutting... just later on.  my room is full of tax documents and shit.( what happens when you move out.) .

i want to clean that place out, and i cant do that untill i finish this project.

and yea i think you are right about the cactus.

its not the first time ive seen this before... they seem to just bark over it after a few months like you said.

pics from yesterday.

didnt get much done... had to drive all over looking for post jacks... then i lost my stapler. not much got done.

caulking and foaming air gaps.

got some junk in the mail... 2 gang outlet boxes.

soffit baffles.

you think this wiring is code? rofl.

the tool pile.

accent lights came today. these are going to be placed every 3 feet or so.

very dim. about half a watt according to the specs. however my power supply does not even register the current? perhaps because its a diode. idk.

very very cool... air temp was around 75 76. hoping these last a long time... even in the 100+ degree weather.

finished up the front of the guest bed. not much else got done owing to telephone buisness.

got the fascia and soffit materials ordered... 350+ feet of 5.5"x.75" fiber cement... 600 sq. ft. of vinyl soffit, ventilated and unventilated for porch area... 350 feet of drip edge, frieze... its all ordered. so glad to be done with the telephone quote game.
now i can just work. by myself.

this is what my brain sounds like today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HjX-WBydo4&list=PLF5E77E53EDE13D08

The bih is doing better...

some normal growth showing up now.

started pulling out the weeds, and the dead dried remains of the parent plant.

yanked out atrium columns last night.

heres how they go in...

first plum a spot down from where you want them.

pilot hole... 1/4"

then 1/2" hole is drilled, then i hammer in a wedge anchor down 3-1/4"

then mount the column hold down and cap hold down. you can see them here... they are the galvanized pieces top and bottom of the new columns.

this one is for hybrid.

btw... the columns WILL be clad in either pvc trex material... or hardi. i have not decided as of yet.

i thought id add that before anyone comments on how ugly the galvanized brackets are... i personally like them, but ill clad them none the less.

lazy day. spent an hour or so researching today...in splendid air conditioned comfort.
spent maby 4 - 5 hours working today, then kicked off around 7pm as my back is starting to bother me, and i dont want this to become a regular thing.

tore down the rest of the atrium porch ceiling. trashed old light fixtures... will be replacing with with two 34watt led canopy lights. im also going to add a PIR/daylighting controller that will switch the atrium lighting upon sensing motion... only when its dark.

attic space up above the living space. im going to vac out the old insulation, air seal, baffle, adjust cat 5 cables, wiring etc. then blow in new insulation. 

finished framing atrium soffit. you can now do chin-ups on the soffit framing.

next task... got to level out this totally fucked porch pillar... who ever built this is utterly fucked in the head and should be shot.

Wow, you've got quite the list of projects going there quee! I had to slide about our attic above the garage for a day putting in a 30 amp drop so the in-laws could park their trailer when they come for a visit, in the Florida heat. I don't even want to think about having to do all that here it's looking good though. Glad to see your peppers coming back. If your stuck with just one that's not a bad one to have.

yea i know what you mean... ive crawled around this attic alot myself. its a huge bitch.

so as some might know... we are in the middle of a baby tropical storm here. naturally i have not been able to do much the past two days.

heres whats up.

tacked up some WRB to protect the soffits from blowing rain... NOT my idea btw.

new box of framing nails =)

jacked up the corner column... added brackets.

the column cracked some years ago... set about fixing that. 

almost done with the framing now... just another 80 feet or so.

ive no clue when to expect the delivery from my lumber yard. 

i ve been bad with the photos, but ill go back and shoot pics of everything ive done and not documented... when its light out.

i had to post this... mystery dead thing i found today.

its probably an alien. but it could also be a dead possum. it didnt stink much... just smelled musty.

corps juice

new tools.

fancy beer.

some cigars...

regarding the corps. i sprayed the area down several times with chlorox... that killed the smell. i also tore out the ledger board that was soaked in the corpse juice.

regarding dem stogies... the sancho panza double maduro in a petite robusto... this was the first box of cigars i ever bought in my life. was like 35 bucks back when i was 18, and i was tickled to see these in a store... ive always had to buy them on cbid.

this is how a man cuts cigars. 

safety razors. not drywall blades, safety razors. they are wafer thin... can be used like 5 times maby... cost like 50 cents per blade.

image001small_zps4epvaw9z.jpg
[/URL][/img]

very thin. very very sharp.

image003small_zpsknkswdyl.jpg
[/URL][/img]

pull the blade across the cap... take off just enough to get a good draw. i like a tighter draw on darker bodied smokes. cut below the glue line not above it. the cut should be like 40-60% of the cross section of the cigars foot.

torpedos and perfectos can be cut less, but for most cigar shapes this is the rule i follow.
cutting above the glue line, with guillotines at least often results in shittyness in my experience.

the cap should fall away leaving just he filler. shave the filler down flush.

image004small_zpsh5nipyli.jpg
[/URL][/img]

image005small_zpsljfzbm6s.jpg
[/URL][/img]

smoke it untill the taste changes for the worst. if you are drinking you wont be bothered by the acrid tastes at the nub.

image008small_zpscorukuif.jpg
[/URL][/img]

this one is for bff grant.

image006small_zpsksyhwrqf.jpg
[/URL][/img]

bump this torpid street walker please.

its a very good beer. i dont think the cigar did it any favors though. ill reserve judgement, but i like it, dont love it, but like it alot.

im gong to go out and buy some fish and wild rice or something and try the ten fidy with some food...  something with a more neutral flavor. like i said the cigar was probably not a great pairing.

BTW... lol, i went to the fancy beer place, spoke briefly with the attendant... "do you guys have a beer called ten...",  she  interrupts, " ten fiddy?" 

apparently its popular with this place... she said some dude bought 60 bucks worth of it a day ago. there were 3 4 packs left.

i also got some karbach hop delusion, and old chub. both are fantastic.

more shit arriving in the mail... new drill i needed.  my 12v micro drill would NOT cut it... my harbor frieght hammer drill would not cut it anymore... so i got a 20v  hammer drill/ drill driver. should come in handy in the back yard where i will replace 4 6x6 posts with some laminated columns. should be interesting.

light fixtures for the atrium. ive actually had these for like a week now... just never got around to taking pictures of them.

the lenses for my PIR sensor came in finally. very lovely... very small. it should be very discrete and hard to spot... just what i want.

low voltage cable entry for the accent lighting. its a brushed entry. 

the bih does not seem to be doing much to be honest... its getting hot here, but not terribly so.

the work ive done over the past week or so.

dont give me shit about the back yard... i sprayed the whole area with herbacide. im digging out bushes and all sorts of shit. i needed to kill off all of the grass.

yes thats a fake metal chimney. this house was built in the 1970's... they though that was a good idea back then. dont give me shit about it.

foaming and air sealing..

adding baffles for the coming cellulose addition.

rehabing porch in the back yard... this is a total shit fest. and im just happy and not into it. if i could i would just replace most of this piece of shit. 

rot

strange black lizard?

more rot.

its hard to see from this pic, but the WHOLE beam is f**ked and leaning towards the camera. its all got to be jacked back up.

its also twisted. some smart man forgot to bird mouth the lumber... so all of the bearing stress is on the front 2x6. the smart builder also failed to properly sister these boards... some of the boards seem in the very CENTER of the span... smart builder also nailed with some shit box bright 16p nails. its all shit.

dog shit.

lol. more rot.

jacking it all up.

cap nails are bent over to hold these shitty post jack plates.

i was tinkering this evening... i think im going to wedge some material into this gap  created by the lack of a birdmouth... this should spread out the bearing stress onto more of the material, and allow me to straighten the beam.

im also going to fasten some joist hangers or hurricant clips in place to hold both the rafter down in high winds, and keep the shims and rafters in place.

to pull the beam back together i went out and bought 40 bucks worth of these 4" timer screws... i looked up their fastening schedule for deck live loads of like 40 psf.  12" OC should hold this thing together like a mother f**ker. never again. 

those are 3.25" x .14 or .13 shank nails. i cant remember exactly.

got my photocell in the mail... this will control accent lighting and shit like door illumination.

got the beam jacked up, leveled, and un twisted today. thats about all that got done.

strings to guide leveling and un twisting and shimming.

old post holes. old school lead masonry anchors.  i chipped these things out and filled in the holes with driveway sealant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back