• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Queequeg grows stuff, and fixes junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
plants:
if they look crumy, its because they are.
need water and ive been lazy, ill go back out there and water them at some point today.
also got SMASHED last night by some nasty wind...

victim of mine, not the wind. pvc hose sliped off the table and snapped it.
serrano dosent seem to care though. we shall see what happens...

lettuce plants.

cactus plants.

tobacco plants from last winter... i chopped these down to a stump but they grew back. ive not watered these what so ever since last... december ?
no clue why they are alive still.

fertigation machine. in pieces.

my intention here is to shrink the system down substantiall.... such that it fits into the trunk of my car. im going to fold my old design into 2 pieces... and push the frame out into the third dimension.
im also going to add a filtration system. the filtration will require a far more substantial pump, so im going to just mount this onto the frame as well as the filter.

my fancy pump. grundfos up15-58 with a custom plastic head from some other hydronic heating company.

can anyone identify this plug? if so i will kiss your mouth.
spent like an hour on the molex website... im 60% sure its not a molex branded connector.

been a while... partly due to lazieness in updating this thing, partly due to me lending my camera to someone for a while.

gonna need a bump here... shitload of old photos to post up here.

brain fart meant i had to go out and buy a diff bit... epoxy anchors require an additional 1/8" to accomidate the epoxy. wasnt terribly expensive.

filled in old holes with self leveling driveway sealant.

IDK why but the sealant bubbled up overnight? still confused by this but what ever. its mostly all covered.

new brackets left next to old shitty ones on the right.

hold gets drilled... blown and brushed out. i used a halogen light fixture to bake dry the hole.

fancy 2 part epoxy junk. the mixing tube is really cool to look at.

what it looks like working its way out of the static mixer.

little too much adhesive. what ever.

timber screws in stalled at 12" OC both sides. 4.5" deep... many batteries were drained in installing these f**ks.

got dirt in the pool = (.

epoxy all cured. the stuff cures to rock hardness. its brittle though...

cedar columns cut to size... primed the foot with reg. outdoor latex.

bolts get torqued down to 50 ft.lbs... does not feel like much to be honest... i wanted to tighten them down harder, but its what the specs said.

bad pic sorry. all 4 in, but without the hold downs.

i think they look good... i stained them yesterday. ill get those pics up when ever i can.

with the timber screws... and shimming and jacking i managed to straighten the beam out mostly... im going to clad this in pvc though because its ass ugly.

the beam is a 4x 2x8 so its like.... 6" thick nominal.

the old columns were rough sawn cedar so they fit perfectly... the new engineered columns are cedar as well, but are nominal dimensionally... 5.5" x 5.5"

i made abs shims out of some material i use to make mounting brackets and switch panels etc. its 1/8" thick ABS so i used a stack of two on each side.

all done... the timber screws blocked one hole, so i filled in one of the optional triangles with another screw.

corners... same deal.

to keep the rafters down on the beam i used regular hurricane straps... many screws were fired this day. 16 rafters at 10 screws per i believe.

bump this vulgar prostitute.

thanks mx.

on to the atrium fixtures... had to modify one of them to accomidate a sensor power supply and switching module.

vertical cuts are made with an angle grinder. 1/8" cutting disk.

it cuts like butter. very easy.

10 minutes or so of filing... inside splended air conditioned comfort.

test fitting.

solvent welded abs shims to support the module.

hot glued down and wired in full.

works splendidly... ill post up pictures tomorrow.

had a little encounter with a 14-2 cable when i was drilling into the top plates... fuck it though, thats what breakers are for.
no harm done.

my siding nailer was leaking like a sieve... so i bought this seal rebuild kit and went about rebuilding the thing.

these nailers are sublimely simple devices... very cool.

with the fixed siding nailer i was able to start putting up fascia boards.

support jigs... littlel screws protrude from the piece such that i can just whack it with a hammer to hold it inplace temporarily while i get a clamp onto it.

modified spring clamps to hold the fascia to the sub fascia while i adjusted it. these turned out to not work well enought. i abandoned them and went back to the slower wood clamps.

splice connectors for the low voltage. spent some time with these things... they are not terribly good if i am honest. they tend to break strands if you are not careful. i would not install these in a car... what with the vibrations and heat cycling, but for this case they should be fine.

ventilated soffit material.

material pile.

GIANT ass paint brush.

yea those pics are all from like... 2 weeks ago.

pretty much all of the fascia is done now... low voltage wire is in. atrium is lighted with sensors.

problem is now its hitting 99+ so im pretty much working indoors and heading out from 4pm to 9. ill go out and get pictures of some of the finished shit before the light gets away.

im having a problem with my cactus's too... id like to hear from hybrid on that.

fascia installed

pic of the other side turned out all blurry.

lights

this mounting scheme resulted in a slight tilt that i could not correct.
i abandoned this scheme and went with another.

sensor in position for testing.

some counter top material im supposed to build a work bench from... well see if that happens anytime soon.

low voltage wiring going everywhere.

columns with the transparant stain...

they remind me of some eastcoast broad fresh out of one of those spray tans... hopefully the orange hue tames a bit.

two cactuses had rot. not real shure why.

this one is bad... tomorrow im going to cut the top off and try to save it. you can see it rotted through and bent

been a while.

mounting block for a hose faucet or electrical outlet... the fixture blocks were too wide to fit my space.  it needed to be modifies to accept a thin single gang outlet box.

fancy beer pic for some reason.

accent lights.

tool for striping low voltage cables.

ass lube AKA dielectric grease for corrosion prevention inside the scotchloks.

fixture box mounted with all the fiddly siding bits and junk.

strips of plywood ripped to... 2 or 3 inches i forget. these hold the accent lights.

mock up of how the wiring works.

jig for cutting shitloads of soffit material real fast.

bringing the low voltage cable inside. the mc cable you see on the left is for the 120vac relay that is energized by the house photocell i posted some time back.

finished accent lights.

bump this obscene courtesan.

some test paint.

shitty attic. foil shit is scammy radiant barrier. it was installed by scammy asshole some years back when i was not living here. i peeled up one piece so you can see how shit ass the insulation is... barely 4 inches.

insulation baffles installed from the outside now need to be nailed up from the inside.

shit ass framing. fixed this with 4" #9 screws.

i put the radiant barrier on the roof rafters where they should have been installed in the first place... i also installed strip lights so i can see shit up here.

bump.

thanks hogleg.

old shitty duct. to be replaced soonish. when it cools down a bit.

jboxes for all the new electrical.

these are all the gaps im after... i vacuum out the insulation above all of the walls to expose them, then i fill them in with foam.

75 cubic foot insulation bag.

vacuum, aka lawn leaf mulcher thing.

real nice enclosure i got for 13 bucks. this will hose the bus bars for the photocell controlled circuits.

garage rehab... this is what ive been busy with the last 3 or 4 days...

re leveled the garage overhang... i thought the headers were sagging, but it turned out to my relief to only be the 2x8 board.

i lifted it up, leveled it out with strings and began to reframe it to hold the new material.

some corner piece some where...

finished framing

the old jambs are rotted away. i cut the rot off around 1 foot after where it stopped.

shitty brick work.

new PT SYP board. i caulked it... because it felt right. idk if this was a good idea or not.

foamed cavity too.

new pvc cladding. god damn this shit is EXPENSIVE.

plugs get driven into these holes left by the trim head screws.

wierd PVC gasket piece that seals against the garage door. was hoping to keep bugs and crap out... well see how long it lasts.

nother bump sir.

thanks.

had a wicked bad storm last evening... lost the internet for 8 hours or so. super bad wind.

anyway. rest of the garage door trim.

plug i cut for the pancake box. that seem is the solvent weld. i used a product called OSI Teq bond. its like half caulk, half solvent weld. real strong, yet slightly flexable.

pancake box. sids proud of the trim by like an eiighth. the box got foamed around the edges to keep water out hopefully.

and thats the security light thing.

lets f**k irl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQjYi81JGHM&list=RDBysaoLwSifE&index=7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnkDQXlrIX4&list=PL6CF2A0BA336B4BB1&index=10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9viPN8XrBc

Looking good. Quite an undertaking. I'm proud if I can drive a nail straight (I'm an arborist - I deal with timber, not lumber.)
     I don't know about the cacti other than to guess that the rot halfway up the stem is the result of some kind of mechanical damage. How often do you water them and how wet do you keep the soil? Did you lime the potting mix? They like basic soil. I bet you (and they) can't wait to get their roots in the real dirt! 

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Looking good. Quite an undertaking. I'm proud if I can drive a nail straight (I'm an arborist - I deal with timber, not lumber.)
     I don't know about the cacti other than to guess that the rot halfway up the stem is the result of some kind of mechanical damage. How often do you water them and how wet do you keep the soil? Did you lime the potting mix? They like basic soil. I bet you (and they) can't wait to get their roots in the real dirt! 

i havent been looking after them very attentively tbh. they need to be repotted for shure.

it seems to me that the rot i keep getting is related to drought stress and the brutal heat, but idk for shure.

i dont water regularly honestly, i should but i dont. if it has not rained for a week or so ill go out and hand water them, otherwise i dont.

havent been real dilligent taking photos, so there are fewer this go.

starting from way back in mid august.
soffit on the side of the house... longest continuous run of soffit on the whole house. 100 feet or so. it only took like... 3 hours to do. the shit goes up very very fast... just clip, two screws you are done.

new lineset insulation for the doo dad.  goingto install lineset protector when i remodel the duct work.

some random bird walked into the atrium as i was running the angle grinder... cutting miters in the pvc soffit material.
just walked around picking at these penut shells from a few days prior. wing was all fucked up.

then he just left.

then i put out a dish of wheat flakes.

if i had a pellet gun or what ever id of just put him out of his misery, but i do not.  he was fairly nimble on his skinny bird legs... i dont think i could have crushed him to death in any graceful manner either.... not that i was tempted to.

more soffit.

soffit mounted electrical box for tools... and what ever. one outlet is on the photocell. one outlet is always on.

photocell controls accent lighting and yard lighting etc. the idea for the photocell controlled outlet is for holiday lighting like on labor day and MLK day.

electrical boxs and what have you.  the box on the left is the pull box... where i bring in all the fixtures and circuits that are controlled by the photocell.

the cables are fed into a 1" wide pass through into the switching box which contains the bus bars for hot neutral and grounding.  i have 4 extra slots should i want to add landscape lighting or some other shit.

test mounting the photo cell... was putting aluminum tape over the cell to test all of the circuits. works well enough. there is this lovely little click noise once it senses adequate darkness. its a mechanical action obviously.

added bulkhead light to cast some light on this side of the house... its right infront of the gate. idea was... i wanted to have folks able to walk from the driveway to the pool area without tripping over shit or getting mugged. this light illuminates the wire fence thing.

boxes all buttoned up and snuggled up into the rafter ends. probably the last time i will ever set eyes on them. i hope the next home owner gives a fuck.
if he does not then what ever.
fuck that guy.

neato photocell up close.

hardi plank NOT as dimensionally stable as lead to believe.

this joint caulking was flat a few weeks ago... no idea wtf happened. the  hardi must have shrunk a 16th or the wood sub framing must have warped some amount... the opposite joint is the same, pulled apart.

carving out a hole for the light.

here is the light running. picture looks shitty because idk wtf im doing with a camera.

another photocell pic for some reason...

new three way circut for the.... side porch area idk.

old location for light fixture... its on this brick ledge thing which is fucking stupid because the fixture base does not sit flush. this fixture had a cap on it for the longest time... i removed it and relocated.

cut a brick to fit into the gap left. its darker because i acid washed the brick to match the color and it was still wet.

new fixture location. now it matches the elevation of the fixture on the other side.

bump this when ever. other junk needs post'n

I simple love this topic! Everytime I see it in the "new content" brings smile to my face, because I know I am in for a good time with new updates and loads of pictures.

Keep us posted, this is such an inspirational topic for getting shit done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back