• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Question for Pubescens growers

skullbiker said:
Well said my man![emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Yeah, you bet. I just trying to learn and experiment. This will be my third season growing anything let alone peppers. My first two seasons yields were mediocre at best so I'm trying new things. My funds are very limited as are my space for plants so Kratky seemed a good place to start delving into hydroponics. We will see how this next year turns out.

PS - environmental factors are temp, humidity, rainfall, wind,uv index, etc. Nothing related to the nutrients will affect that, short of temp regulating your nutrient solution. That's what I meant.

I did grow Kratky, just so you don't think I'm a natural skeptic. I have a harsh growing climate, and my situation necessitated that I experiment. I went through a lot of hardships to find my growing methods. Yes.

Solid7, I'm not hating at all brother. No harm no foul. Just a difference of opinion. I'm just trying different ways to grow to see what gives me the best results.

Also, the pubes are far from the only peppers I'll be growing this next year. Ive read that they are pretty finicky so if they don't succeed, I'll be bummed for sure but it won't destroy my whole season.

FITN said:
Solid7, I'm not hating at all brother. No harm no foul. Just a difference of opinion. I'm just trying different ways to grow to see what gives me the best results.
Of course. I just want to be clear that I am not, either.

We're good man. All that aside, haha, what's your opinion on how much direct sun I should give them?

FITN said:
We're good man. All that aside, haha, what's your opinion on how much direct sun I should give them?

You really gotta defer to more local growers on that.  Florida sun does not = Washington sun.  I've lived in both places, and there's a world of difference in the humidity, oxygen, and UV levels.  I have an idea how that could potentially play out on rocotos (which are the pickiest bastards I've ever grown), but someone in your area would be a much better ask.  I can tell you that if I put them in full sun here, they're toast within the first week of summer.  But other people put them out in full sun all day long in other parts of the country.  Mine get less than 3 hours of direct sun a day.  They are in full shade the remainder.

I'm actually taking a dozen really nice reds to my local Peruvian restaurant this weekend.  We've got a really nice arrangement going.  I've bartered food and sauces for Red Rocotos and Aji Amarillo. 

solid7 said:

You really gotta defer to more local growers on that.  Florida sun does not = Washington sun.  I've lived in both places, and there's a world of difference in the humidity, oxygen, and UV levels.  I have an idea how that could potentially play out on rocotos (which are the pickiest bastards I've ever grown), but someone in your area would be a much better ask.  I can tell you that if I put them in full sun here, they're toast within the first week of summer.  But other people put them out in full sun all day long in other parts of the country.  Mine get less than 3 hours of direct sun a day.  They are in full shade the remainder.

I'm actually taking a dozen really nice reds to my local Peruvian restaurant this weekend.  We've got a really nice arrangement going.  I've bartered food and sauces for Red Rocotos and Aji Amarillo. 
Understood, unfortunately I don't really have anyone here that I can think of to talk to so I think I'll err on the side of caution. I'll try to set them up with morning sun and shade the rest of the day and see how it goes.

FITN said:
Understood, unfortunately I don't really have anyone here that I can think of to talk to so I think I'll err on the side of caution. I'll try to set them up with morning sun and shade the rest of the day and see how it goes.

The only thing that I can say for sure, is that your growing season is too short for them, so definitely have a workable overwinter plan in place.  

I'll definitely try but I've never had much luck over wintering plants. I always end up in a loosing battle with aphids. I'm also starting them early in order to give them a head start.

I have to use Neem regularly to keep pests at bay. I literally spray every 1-2 weeks. Works well. But yeah...

I've got neem but it always seems to damage the plants as well. Maybe I'm a little heavy handed with it.

`
I have very limited experience, and even less success, growing C. pubescens.... But I'll offer the little I know because our USDA Hardiness Zone are similar, you - me, so growing conditions similar.

Let's start with advice against failures... As they usually take longer to flower - fruit - ripen and are very temperature/humidity sensitive.... start early! Two reasons, as they usually do better in cooler weather getting them outdoors in April-May after chance of frost has passed yet below optimal standard pepper growing conditions and having fruit set during this timeline into June conducive to higher fruit production.

Next is plant growth characteristics.... Most C. pubescens grow tall and gangling, keep looking for a smaller with more compact traits. And I'll add nutes here, I have had great results with Dyna-Gro Products.

Next is luck. I don't remember the year (Watermark on pic wrong, it was Sept. and I think the year 2002-2003.) but certainly the weather, rainy - raw - cold - damp - dank through the first full week of July and I had one pubescens going that year....see below pic.... Damn lucky I had one!

4Stz6tG.jpg

`

Thanks for all the tips! I'm hoping they do well but as I said before, if they don't, it won't ruin my whole season.

I'm actually starting them right now. I've got one melon rocoto seedling and am still trying to germinate another. Also the Costa Rican Yellow is taking awhile to germinate. As far as getting them out as soon as possible, I've got a 10x8x6 green house that I'll assemble and put on my back deck so I can them outside a little earlier.

I've been using General Hydroponics - Maxigrow for nutes. I'm by no means brand loyal that's just the first one I grabbed off the shelf. If people seem to have better luck with another company, I'll definitely give them a try.

You will be fine growing these in your zone. They are just another pepper plant. I have friends growing them in Phoenix,and in Alberta,Canada also.

There are very few places if any like the Andes. People grow these plants all over the planet though. You have to adapt and accept that you aren't going to get the production or size that someone in Cuzco is going to get. My goal is a 200g pod and the more I try,the more I realize that it probably isn't going to happen.

The only advice I can give you coming from another cold climate grower is to grow them in containers. They are big plants with big root systems and when growing in the ground they can take a very long time to set fruit. Growing in containers you can force them to fruit and also can protect them from any early frost that might pop up.

Good luck!

I'm in Maine, zone 5b and this is what has worked for me. I start seeds around the last week of march and plant out into pots around the last week in May to the first week of June depending on the weather. I like 10 gallon pots using ocean forest with 30% extra coarse perlite.  I don't use any nutes except the occasional spray down with fish/seaweed emulsion and compost tea.  I have a spot that gets early morning sun and late afternoon sun, the rest of the day is shade. I've started spray painting the pots white and feel that has helped keep the root zone cooler in the late afternoon.  I think a younger healthy plant does better at hardening off then older larger plants and is faster to grow and set fruit. Cheers
y.JPG

r.jpg

Awesome, thanks everyone! I'm excited to see they do this year. I'll do my best keep everyone posted on this topic as to how the plants progress and what I'm doing with them.

Not a bad idea. I haven't done one yet. Once I've got something to take pictures of, I'll get one started.

FITN said:
I've got neem but it always seems to damage the plants as well. Maybe I'm a little heavy handed with it.

You have to apply it at last light.  It's phytotoxic if you apply it during daylight hours.

solid7 said:

You have to apply it at last light.  It's phytotoxic if you apply it during daylight hours.
I had no idea! That would probably do it. Every time I've used it, it's been day light. Thanks for the heads up!

Back