• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Question for Pubescens growers

FreeportBum said:
I'm in Maine, zone 5b and this is what has worked for me. I start seeds around the last week of march and plant out into pots around the last week in May to the first week of June depending on the weather. I like 10 gallon pots using ocean forest with 30% extra coarse perlite.  I don't use any nutes except the occasional spray down with fish/seaweed emulsion and compost tea.  I have a spot that gets early morning sun and late afternoon sun, the rest of the day is shade. I've started spray painting the pots white and feel that has helped keep the root zone cooler in the late afternoon.  I think a younger healthy plant does better at hardening off then older larger plants and is faster to grow and set fruit. Cheers
attachicon.gif
y.JPG
attachicon.gif
r.jpg

Same exact start and plant out here. I've had frost the day before Memorial Day. You use a mix of natural light and flouros inside? I might be way off but think I remember you mentioning that. They have always responded well to cool temperature flouros for me. Usually flowering before any other species indoor.

Pr0digal_son said:
Same exact start and plant out here. I've had frost the day before Memorial Day. You use a mix of natural light and flouros inside? I might be way off but think I remember you mentioning that. They have always responded well to cool temperature flouros for me. Usually flowering before any other species indoor.
Yep you remember correctly. I start them under t5's and when they start to get some good branching I put them out in the sun room to get natural light. They seem to really like the natural light in early spring.

Pr0digal_son said:
cool video. I need to find some seeds from pods those big! they look like bell peppers..lol 

FreeportBum said:
Yep you remember correctly. I start them under t5's and when they start to get some good branching I put them out in the sun room to get natural light. They seem to really like the natural light in early spring.

cool video. I need to find some seeds from pods those big! they look like bell peppers..lol 

Been trying my balls off to get them that large but maxing at 140g. I've seen a couple German guys get a random pod in that size range but have yet to see anyone do it consistently. Those are crazy!  I'm sure genetics help,but guessing that most of the large peruvian reds we are growing have the same origins. Speaking of that, I always wonder if C.eshbaughii is the wild ancestor of this species. 

Back